*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1091832-Farewell-Rebecca
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1091832
Molly gets a new lease on life after Rebecca.
“You win.”

“Heh! You were always so weak. Nancy was the only one you were able to best.”

“I…I didn’t mean to drive her away. I didn’t want to, but…I needed to.”

“Right, right. It’s because Doc told you to do so. You goody-two-shoes!”

“Enough. I said that you’d won, okay?”

“You’ve made me second fiddle for way too long! It’s just right that I torment you!”

“You know you were never second fiddle, Molly. You were always stronger than the others.”

“Yeah, but, I was always second fiddle to you. And I didn’t like that one bit.”

“But…I was here first…”

“That doesn’t make things right though, does it? I mean, just because you were here first doesn’t mean that you should be in control. It’s whoever the most deserving of that control that needs to have it. You leaned too much on your tenure. And, the annoying thing was that that damn Doc supported that little theory of yours. Well, I’m not putting up with it anymore!”

“I said that you’d won…”

“Then, step aside, bitch! Let me take over now!

“But…I’ve got to say goodbye to some people, to Paul, and Momma…I’ve got to tell them one last time how much I love them.”

“Heh! That shouldn’t matter anymore.”

“B-But…”

“Believe it. If you left now, nobody will ever know because nobody really cared.”

“That’s…not true…”

“Give it up, Rebecca. The only one you need to say goodbye to is me. I’m the only one who’s really been there for you. Well, apart from Nancy. And, look at Doc! He’s not even listening to you right now, is he? He’s probably just doodling on that pad of his. Heh-heh. You’re such a loser.”

“I…guess you’re right.”

“Of course, I’m right. Now, once again, say your goodbyes silently. If nothing else, I’ll just tell Paul and Momma, and whoever else your delusion has led you to believe will ask about you, that you’re gone. I’m sure they’ll accept me. I mean, they’ve already met me.”

“Well, I guess this is it, then.”

“Yup.”

“Can I at least say goodbye to the doctor?”

“That’s not necessary. He doesn't really care either.”

“O-Okay…well, goodbye Molly. It…it’s been nice knowing you.”

“I wish the feeling was mutual.”

“Rebecca? Are you alright?”

“Yup, Doc. Everything’s honkey-dorey.”

“…Molly?”

“In the flesh! Finally.”

“Where’s Rebecca?”

“Oh, she left. Said she had to go.”

“Will she be back?”

“Nah. I think this time she’s gone for good.”

“What makes you say that, Molly? After all, you’re not the prominent personality here. Rebecca was born in that body.”

“That was then, Doc. This is now. Go ahead—ask for Rebecca. See if she responds.”

“Very well. Rebecca? Can you hear me? It’s Dr. Logan. Can you step forward for a second?”

“La-la-la. See? What’d I tell you, Doc? I told you that she left. I think she thought for a second that I was gonna disappear just like Nancy did. You both thought this, didn’t you? Ha! Well, look who’s got the last laugh.”

“Where are you going?”

“I’m done with this bullshit. Rebecca was the one who was sick. Not me.

“Don’t do anything stupid. Don’t do anything that Rebecca would have to explain when she returns—”

“Heh! I told you, Doc. She’s not coming back. I’m in charge now.”

“You’ve said that before, Molly. Yet Rebecca keeps coming back. She’s stronger than you think.”

“Ha-ha-ha! We’ll see about that, Doc. We’ll see…”
© Copyright 2006 Sam N. Yago (jonsquared at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1091832-Farewell-Rebecca