*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1093649-Updated-Version-of-To-Be
Rated: E · Short Story · Melodrama · #1093649
A young lady following her dream has fears about dealing with the success she has to face.
She ascended the twenty four steps into the great hall wondering how she was going to face the huge crowd of guests who patiently awaited her arrival.

They were a mingling, extremely jostling bunch of people who had gathered to meet her. Her friend and confidante had placed herself close to the door at her friend's request, and remained composed whilst talking and laughing about the weather.

It seemed as though it took forever for her to put one foot in front of the other. She glanced at her escort who was right by her side and still she felt as though she were doing this all by herself.

Her escort turned to her and gently asked whether she was ready. She immediately stood proud as her glistening dress shone like a deep blue midnight sky. She remained calm, as she succumbed to all of her positivism in her natural splendour.

Her escort led the way for her as he entered the hall and led her inside. In all her newfound glory, she stared aghast and a feeling of ineptness washed over her like a tidal wave as she stared in openness at the empty hall.

There was not a soul in sight.

She gripped her escort's arm a little tighter and then let go as she felt her body soar into a spasm of anxiety.

She inhaled a gasp of air, and finally let the knowing words of: "Where is everyone?" depart from her petite lips. She felt disgusted.

Her inability to function properly after her attempt at what she thought was a dream come true all came flooding back....

She realised how wrong she had been all this time, and what echoed through her mind was the remains of this nightmarish experience that would forever be etched in the corners of her mind. She slowly sat down in one of the chairs nearest to her as she tried to understand what had just happened. Her escort tried to comfort her by saying "Maybe this just wasn't meant to be." And she looked at him after heaving a sigh of relief.

"Maybe you're right" she said. "It isn't my turn." Thoughtfully, she added "I have come this far, I em, I think I'll be leaving now." And pursed her lips as if somewhat shameful.

She stood up, straightened her dress and walked towards the door, leaving what appeared to be a somewhat helpless escort staring after her. Before she exited the hall, she turned and took one last look around and said "I hope you'll be my escort again because I shall return to this place of wonderment."

The escort smiled and said "I don't think that there is a better person to serve as your Guardian Angel." as he bowed and offered his hand.

She was fighting back the tears as she cautiously said: “You were sent by Him?” My Dream Giver? The One who sent me a white feather?”

And he answered with a slow, polite nod of his head. Suddenly it seemed as though something beckoned her to descend the twenty four steps as she heard sweet swaying music in the far distance. She wasn’t too sure what she would find if she decided to pursue the soft coming together of gentle instruments as her present circumstances foretold an innumerous amount of uncertainty.

“What’s your name?” she calmly said. He angelically answered: “Chance”. And she received a picture in her mind’s eye as clear as a summer day.

He then added: “I think your soul beckons you to follow your heart as you can clearly hear the music playing in the background. It’s calling you, go and complete your dream.”

And she thankfully ran down the steps as the voice faded from sound, rushing to wash away the incompleteness that had been her companion for far to long a time. She entered the hallway right into the massive crowd of persons that had come to see her. She had followed her God-given destiny and on entering the dance hall realized that she had made it.

Her dream to be one of the best writers in the whole world had come to light, as she was greeted by those same persons who had set obstacles before her on her quest to see her dream through to the bitter and dire end. She saw that she was weary at the end of her struggling road of uphills and downhills, wiles and straits.

Now she was in her moment of zenith, and she remembered her moment of zeal when she had just started writing some eleven years ago. She had finally made it.

The smile on her petite lips was curling at the awakening of her success, and the glistening dress of the midnight sky was a-swaying to the music that she had created for her dream had been achieved.

She was enjoying her party…
© Copyright 2006 Novella (jobmagic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1093649-Updated-Version-of-To-Be