*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1094023-Life-without-life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ritz
Rated: E · Other · Tragedy · #1094023
Life is a dream so make the best of each moment ...no one knows what happens when.
“Life without life”

The life kindling in our so called – body framework, gives meaning to our existence. What would a body, a mere composition of non-living things, be without life? Whereas, emotions, reactions and logic are secondary components of life. But, destiny played the harsh trick with Amelia, a then seven ear old, once a happy kid but the 12th of April, 2003 had changed everything.
Shelly was another seven year old, Amelia’s best friend, they both lived at St.Clare’s street. Childhood was at its peak, and unaware of the bitter realities of life and the knowledge of injury, harm or death…… Amelia wandered and enjoyed every moment in a playful and lackadaisical mood; after all she was like any other innocent kid of her age. Mrs. Shoaf, Amelia’s mother, was a project manager at an IT-firm. She, being a working woman was seen only in the evenings……..her busy schedules kept her away from home for longer hours. Amelia, a playful brat, had maximum freedom after her school ended because, Pam, Amelia’s caretaker was almost ever busy with kitchen preparations for the following meals, as stated by Mrs.Shoaf. Pam had the responsibility of the whole house to shoulder in Mrs.Shoaf’s absence and regrettably she was always unaware of Amelia’s whereabouts. Well, Amelia’s father was a cardiologist at one of the best hospitals in town. It was like, his first priority was his work and second ,of course his family(he aimed to secure a bright future for his heart, Amelia).
Amelia was a spoiled brat. Her wishes were fulfilled even before she could think of them.Though her parents could scarcely spend time with her, they made sure that, her demands were always satisfied …………..be it the costliest toy, the best dress or anything else…after all, her wish was their command.
On a usual, sultry afternoon of April, Amelia was returning from school, she got down from her clumsy school bus; she looked grumpy, as she had fought with Shelly, her best friend, early that morning in the class on a stupid, silly pencil that she wished to write with but Shelly had refused. With weighty thoughts of having been refused for the very first time ever, Amelia was troubled and gloomy but she was also worried about not being able to have fun for the rest of that day in the absence of her playmate. Sudden change of mind led her running across the road with utmost desperation, towards Shelly’s house……..but halfway through, in the midst of rushing traffic………..something dreadful changed the atmosphere. It was like, red was the backdrop of the surroundings and tragedy was the theme. Grievances expressed as escaped cries of shock and terror which were drowned by sounds indicating pity and sympathy for some unfortunate unknowns.
The ventilator is functioning tirelessly……..tears have dried and eyes have turned sore for that ill-fated couple……..the world is unknown to them……all they know is, that their little fairy, who has been sleeping for quiet a long time will wake up very soon.” She is absolutely fine”- as Mrs.Shoaf yells loudly, with a hint of shiver in her voice, whenever anyone objects on Amelia’s condition. Mr. and Mrs.Shoaf are the only ones who have experienced the stabbing pain for almost two and a half years; helpless and depressed such that life is hanging in mid air with the sole support of a thin string of hope to hold on to. Amelia is the same old brat but is deadly silent. In other words she is living a lifeless life……she is unaware of her own existence…….in short, according to the well- to- do doctors she is….brain dead. Each doctor of the highest order has declared this pretty girl, brain dead; and treatment is almost impossible. In ward -23, third floor, at Ruby hospital, New York City, rests Amelia surrounded by toys and goodies but all that is heard is the slow beating of the heart resting in a tiny framework surrounded by numerous complicated machines.Oh Mercy! Are the cries echoing from the hearts of the distressed couple………………..May their pleads be answered soon.
Life is just a dream, live it to the fullest……….no one knows when the terrible lightning of Fate may fall on anyone and bring everything to a thud stop; well, it is only the support of Hope that lives along as the thinnest demarcation between reality and imagination.
© Copyright 2006 Ritz (ritz_create at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1094023-Life-without-life