*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1095842-The-Bible-According-To-Chang
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Philosophy · #1095842
short story about chang, religion, and humans
I believe it was this one Wednesday morning where I was walking to my sociology 231 class, Dr. Chang’s class. Dr. Chang is nuts. She’s from Hawaii and she has been living here for decades but her English is the most horrid shit my human ears have ever processed (well maybe I’m exaggerating a little). On tests I can know all the material but not be able to answer a goddamn question because its written in ruins, smoldering ruins, of grammatical syntax. Total butchery. She always refers to the class as “students” with her quirky accent, just fantastic shit to witness. She even adds it in questions on tests occasionally, for example (*not a real question*)

4) What are conservative feminists to say about prostitution, students?
A. Prostitution is another way men demean women
B. Prostitution is a symbiotic relationship between pimp and whore
C. Prostitution is role reversal of dominant social gender stereotypes
D. Women can reach the American dream through prostitution


Who am I kidding? I can’t make fun of her grammar, I’m not any better. You know, I really don’t learn shit in that class. Most people don’t even really show up. She declares important announcements to all the “students” before half of the people who usually show up are even there. We usually watch videos in there, she keeps talking about guest speakers coming to lecture but for some reason they always cancel out on her. She informed me recently, after the midterm, that I have the highest grade in the class. I think it was a 97.3, which is very relieving since the midterm exam is just about 50% of your grade and I didn’t know what half of the questions on it were even asking me to answer. I figured my grade could be anywhere between an A+ and a piss-poor failure. Considering I actually know the material and I’m the only one in that class that actually does the work, getting that F would suck ass. I always show up to that class on time. I’m really scared of missing one of her announcements and screwing up per chance. I never really let myself screw up in any class, Dr. Chang and the entire institution has my balls in a vice. I’m whipped into total submission. That sort of behavior is called conformity and in sociology it is considered a type of deviance, which is ironic when you think of it because deviance is supposed to be something that goes against the social norm. It’s not that I actually conform, I mean I’m not going to school to get a job, in fact I don’t think much of the future. I want to be a philosopher. Money is nothing. As long as I have Kate and heavy metal, nothing really matters that much. Ah that’s a load of shit, big stinking shit 100% proof. Everyone conforms, more so, everyone is as fascist as an ant colony.
In Genesis Adam and Eve become self conscious and shameful when they discover that they are naked, I saw the same thing happen this one Wednesday morning on my way to sociology. These two little kids, twin brothers I think of about 3 years of age, were fighting outside of Gordon hall. They were hitting each other with sticks, it was kind of brutal I thought. Then, their father, who was walking ahead, saw them beating the crap out of each other and went to grab them. I heard him say “what are you doing? Can’t you see that there are people walking around here” then it fucking hit me. No, not the stick, but the realization that humans are controlled through shame and the fear of shame, just like Adam and eve, who became shameful at the naked sight of each other after eating the fruit of knowledge, even though they have most likely already fucked on several occasions. The word self conscious is ironic too it think because all it means is that you are “self” conscious to the way other people see you, or you think they see you. Truth is people are just so selfish they don’t go around thinking about other people, they go around thinking about how they look in the eyes of other people. One day in 11th grade, I drew this picture of Andrew Foxson in my English class. He looked at it jokingly, “it’s quite good”, he said, “but where are all my zits?”. The kid had some zits but I didn’t notice them because well, frankly I don’t give a shit about him or his zits enough to even notice them. The things is that, when he left the house in the morning, when he was looking at the mirror in the morning, he was thinking to himself “everyone are going to notice my nasty zits and think I’m an ugly douche bag” but no one noticed his zits because everyone were walking around self consciously thinking about how they look in his and everyone else’s eyes. Those two twins will soon learn from their father that they should care what other people think about them because what those people think matters and they should always strive for other peoples acceptance. Everyone I see on campus have seemed to learned this, that’s why they all walk quietly, dress a certain way, avoid eye contact, are scared to ask and say anything, and sit quietly in their classes. The fear of shame is a populous controller. Is that ethical? Molding people through fear? Most people would probably say it isn’t because coercing anyone into doing anything through the use of fear seems highly unethical but then most people would also say religion, school, the media, and the government are not all pure evil. This is paradoxical because all of those institutions create social control through the application of fear. But isn’t control necessary? I think the interpretation of the world control in this way would be better worded as “social frame”. Every institution is a social frame and these frames are needed for society to function. Its not seldom that I look around and think to myself “Humans are such vile creatures. It is a remarkable thing that they found a way to actually live together in a social structure” and it is remarkable. Humans are the most greedy, selfish, destructive creatures on the face of the earth. They are a virus with shoes, literally walking parasites. All the frames that exist are all hedonistic in nature. Religion always has some “good” in it promised to the followers, otherwise they wouldn’t bother following it. The pact Christians have with god is like a packet an insurance salesman has with a client. They are “buying” (after)life insurance. That is how society functions, when the frames which exist in order to maintain order pertains to the welfare and hedonistic living purpose of the individual. These frames are necessary because they ensure general harmonious living, because the life goal of most human is hedonistic, they value pleasure, and without the means to satisfy the individual society will crumble because nobody would approve of it and chaos would engulf everything and everyone. Sometimes this happens. This is why humans are revolutionary beings, they revolt, when they are not happy.
© Copyright 2006 Hanauer (hellwitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1095842-The-Bible-According-To-Chang