*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1095994-Jennas-Nightdreams-Chapter-02
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1095994
Jenna's travels begin

Warm, soft, and quiet. Those were the first things she noticed as Jenna began to come awake. Her eyes came open and fear slammed deep into her heart. She wasn’t in her own bed. The bed was too big and too fancy. “Miss La’Masters, you are awake?” the voice was hesitant as it spoke breaking the peaceful silence.
Jenna’s voice was far from steady as she replied, “Do I know you?”
The curtain around the bed suddenly opened letting in the bright sun light. “Miss, are you feeling all right?” the question came from a young woman dressed in a medieval style peasants outfit.
Jenna looked around, her head swimming with confusion, “I don’t know. Things seem strange.” she told the young woman wondering who she was.
“Do you know who you are?” the young woman asked with a strange smile.
Jenna stared at the woman for a moment, “That is such a strange question.” her words seemed strange even to herself. “I’m Jenna La’Masters. I own half of a bookstore in Eagletown, Mass. Just outside of Salem.” the words flowed with a power of their own.
The young woman smiled, “We thought this might have happened. You’ve been very sick Miss Jenna. You’ve been with fever for nearly a fortnight.” she stepped closer bringing with her a small dipper of water. Without thinking Jenna took it and drank deeply.
“How can that be? What about Elizabeth, Max, even my sister? Are they safe?” worry filled her hear and mind.
Again the young woman smiled, “Miss Lizzy is fine. She is at home with her husband Thomas. Your sister is off at the university, and Mr. Maxwell is sleeping. He’s been sitting with you since the fever took you. When it broke last night he felt he might be able to get some sleep.”
“What happened? Why did he stay with me?” Jenna asked sitting up holding the blanket to her chest.
“Miss Jenna. The fever must have played with your mind. Mr. Maxwell is your husband. Why would he not sit with you?”
“I’m sorry. Now I am really confused, I’m not married. He and I are friends, but I own half the bookstore with Elizabeth.” Jenna explained, “I’m sorry but what is your name?”
The young woman burst into laughter, “But Miss Jenna you’ve known me all my life. It’s Rebekah. You asked my mother if I could come work for you early last year.” she put the water dipper back in its bucket and turned toward the heavy wooden door across the room. “Let me fetch the doctor. See if he can make sense of what has happened.” she slipped out of the room as Jenna sat in the bed trying to take in what was happening. It wasn’t more than a few minutes before Rebekah was back with a man in a nice suit in tow.
“She’s not right Dr. Michaels. She has things confused.” Rebekah said as the man stepped up to the edge of the bed.
“How are you feeling Miss Jenna?” he asked reaching out and gently taking hold of her wrist.
“I’m fine. I’m just wondering about the rest of you. What is happening here?” she asked staring at the man she knew as a lawyer. Something was very wrong.
He smiled at her, “The fever has affected you powerfully. You need to relax and heal.” he let go and turned to Rebekah, “go wake Maxwell. I believe seeing her husband will help Miss Jenna.” Rebekah’s smile was sad as she slipped back out of the bedchamber. It was only moments later that the door opened and Maxwell stepped into the room.
Jenna’s eyes lit up at the sight of her friend, “Max, tell me you remember.” the words were out before she could even try to hold them back.
He walked up to the edge of the bed and placed his hand on her arm. “Remember what love? It’s so good to see you doing better.” he told her leaning down and brushing his lips over her cheek.
Jenna just stared at him. “When did we get married?” the question was no more than a whisper on the breeze blowing in the room.
Maxwell looked into her eyes, “Nearly a year ago now. Is there anything you do remember love?”
Jenna pulled her hand away. This wasn’t the Max she knew. She was starting to get scared. “I remember the bookstore, the lawyer’s office, my mother dying, and you coming up to my apartment.” she whispered. Her heart filling with fear.
“Jenna love, there is no bookstore, and your mother is fine. She lives in the house to the north that I built for her when we got married.” Maxwell tried to explain.
Jenna curled up and looked from face to face in the room. Nothing was the way it should be. Nothing felt right. “Max. I just want to be alone.” she whispered turning away from them. She laid there waiting foe everyone to leave. As thoughts raced through her mind she began to go over what she knew. Things were strange, but her mind couldn’t find anything to grasp. She faded off to sleep hoping things would make more sense when she woke up.
She could hear someone singing softly as she woke up a few hours later. Carefully turning over her gaze landed on a young woman sitting in the chair at the head of her bed. “Who are you?” Jenna asked knowing the answer wouldn’t make her feel any better.
The young woman smiled, “They said you didn’t know what was happening.” her eyes misted, “Maxwell said that you were confused and asked me to sit with you. It’s just after sunset.”
Jenna shook her head, “Nothing is right here.” she turned back over her eyes catching the full moon through the open window. As she stared at it a peacefulness settled over her, and darkness filled her mind.
© Copyright 2006 Eve Silver (evesilver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1095994-Jennas-Nightdreams-Chapter-02