*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1096557-The-Passenger
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1096557
An almost ghostly experience...
The Passenger

It was one of those days that drive you crazy, one appointment chased the next, driving each one of us into a different direction while one of the cars was in the shop for urgent repairs.

Somehow we had gotten through the day so far without killing each other or going insane. I was just leaving my latest appointment and on my way to pick up my husband, so we both could go to the very last appointment for the day, pick up the car and, finally go home. All I had to do was fill up the car with gas, get on the highway and find the building where I had dropped my husband off an hour and a half earlier.

I spotted a gas station and pulled in. Rushing, leaving the driver's door open for quick convenience, one eye steady on the clock to make sure my dear sweetheart would not have to stand out in the cold waiting for me for too long, I filled up the car and dashed inside the gas station to get a cup of coffee and pay for my gas, almost tripping over a small dachs hound that belonged to the owner of the gas station..

Finally I was back in the driver's seat and back in sluggish moving traffic. The coffee was, like usually way too bitter, too strong and too old. After three sips I already had enough of it and, with a disapproving grunt, put the cup into the holder when, suddenly, someone sneezed.

Startled I looked in my rearview mirror, but could not see anyone on the backseat. Stress, I figured, I am so stressed, I'm hearing things, now that's a shame! And then the second sneeze came, almost causing me to slam the breaks.

I checked the mirror, nothing, I checked all the windows, they all were shut tight. I knew that it was not me sneezing, I would have noticed that much, no matter how stressed I was, I was quiet sure, somewhat.

And then a series of sneezes followed. In panic, almost sure to have a ghost in my car, I pulled over and got out of the car, my cell phone in my hand, so I could call, someone, anyone, to come and get me.

Now, standing on the sidewalk, a few feet away from my haunted car I felt like I had landed inside a horror movie. The traffic was moving still somewhat sluggish and darkness was setting in and, most of all, my cell phone was dead. The battery had given out on me.

I realised that I had to deal with the ghost in my car by myself. There was no one I could have called anyway, after all you don't call the police with a complaint about a ghost in your car. Firefighters seemed not to be the right address either and an ambulance would most likely take me away in one of those unfashionable jackets, instead of investigating the car. I could not call my husband, he had no way of getting to me, well if he took a bus he might make it in a couple of hours…

I wanted to just sit down on the curb and start crying until, well, whenever. But, being a usually reasonable person I realised that it would not solve anything and was useless. The only thing I could and should do was to investigate the car myself.

Careful I approached the passenger side of the car, nothing there. With a deep breath I worked my way to the door to the back seat. I placed my hand on the door handle and took a deep breath before I tore the door open, suddenly and wide.

Now I was eye to eye with the sneezing ghost!

The little dachs hound from the gas station was cuddled on the floor in front of the backseat and looking up at me somewhat worried, probably realising that he had gotten into the wrong car.

Feeling somewhat silly, I got back into the car, talking to my little passenger, amongst other things, begging him not to leave a mess in my car. I turned around and took the little rascal back to the gas station, where he obviously had entered my car.

When I arrived I could already see the attenant who had served me running up and down in front of his business, calling someone, looking awfully worried.

I think he was the happiest guy I had seen in a while when I returned the little dog to him, he already had been worried sick about his little buddy.

When I got back into the car, I made sure to take a quick look around, just in case another passenger had found his way in, but, it was just me and the car. Now I finally was on my way to pick up my husband, without any more interruptions.



By Birgit and Roger Pratcher

copyright December 2005

© Copyright 2006 Roger and Birgit Pratcher (rbpratcher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1096557-The-Passenger