*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1096692-Break-in-the-Kentucky-Rain
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Draft · Romance/Love · #1096692
"My love's too strong to let you go, never knowing what went wrong"
Last updated 5-10-06

So I'm walking in the rain,
Thumbing for a ride
On this lonely Kentucky backroad
I've loved you much too long
And my love's too strong
To let you go, never knowing
What went wrong
KENTUCKY RAIN by ELVIS PRESLEY


With a sigh, she dropped her bag inside the door. She pulled back mustard curtains that looked older than she was and the sunlight poured in to highlight the dust dancing through the air. Without giving the bed the critical consideration she would have a month ago, her body collapsed onto it.
This last week had been hell. She hated storms, had since she was a child. The rain had started the night she left. The storm had followed her from Virginia. Logically, of course, she knew that wasn't true but she couldn't help being surprised that the sun was trying to lend any support now. It didn't help her mood. In fact, she felt like a childhood friend had betrayed her. Nothing should be as cheery as those magical sunbeams- not when her life lay shattered in Virginia.
Her mind kept floating back to that night. She couldn't shake the memories. The coldness was still there.

---------------

"Hey beautiful, how was work?"
Kalee barely noticed the strong arms that wrapped around her, she was exhausted. Slowly she the coldness inside her abated and she realized that he was beside her gray eyes piercing her, waiting, anxious. Why?
"Jake," Her voice was low and calm, only the lack of her usual sing-song tone gave away her thoughts "Why are you here?"
"We finished up a day early, the rest of the guys stayed to party the last night, but I knew I couldn't stay away from you any longer. I've been driving since 6 o'clock last night to get here." He raised himself onto an elbow. "Sweetheart, you have me worried. Are you okay?"
Normally the concern in his voice would make her sing, but it barely registered today.
"Hmm, I'm okay."
"You're acting like you're in a trance and this isn't the first time, Kalee. Honey, you have to talk to me. It's getting worse and I'm afraid I'm going to lose you if we can't find out why you're doing this."
"There isn't anything to talk about"
"Kalee, be honest with me. Are you taking drugs?"
Shock registered in her tired mind.
"How could you say such a thing?"
"No need to be offended, there are doctors who get a little too stressed and turn to prescriptions for relief. Kalee, you've been distancing yourself from me for months and I'm not sure why. I need you back."
"You need me back?"
He bent to place a kiss on her brow. "I love you, Honey. You know that."
Turning her face away, she sighed. "Do I?"
He turned her head back with a gentle hand contrasted by his low growl and harsh voice, "Why wouldn't you? I know they've been calling me for longer and longer trips, but you never really minded before. You used to visit me on weekends, Kalee. I know your brother has offered to bring you up in his plane, so why didn't you come?"
"I was busy too." Seeing he wasn't going to quit until satisfied, she tried to shake the lethargy from her head and body. Breaking from his arms to sit up, she continued, "I've been taking longer shifts at the hospital, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. It just means more death."
Without another word, Jake sat up, replaced his arms where they belonged around her waist, and pulled her back into his embrace.
Kalee was to tired to fight. Her monotone voice went on, "GG died and I wasn't sure why I should go on. You weren't here... no one was. I left the hospital to escape the death but it followed me home."
"I'm so sorry." Jake's pained whisper came from the side of her neck.
"I'm just so tired, Jake. Tired of it all. Tired of you not being her when I need you. Tired of the dying. Tired of trying to fight for all of their lives and still keep mine."
"Shhh..." His hand rubbed up and down her arm, comforting, "What are you saying?"
Surrendering, she leaned her head back onto his shoulder, "I ... I don't know."
They sat like that for a long while, letting the dimming light and silence to wrap around them. Jake eventually realized that Kalee had fallen asleep. He gently lowered her down, slipped her shoes off, took off his own boots and crawled under the feather coverlet with her. The sun said it's farewells and tucked behind the mountains for the night.

---------------


(Note: this is choppy, I will rewrite it soon, but I wanted to write this before I forgot what I was planning to do)

Kalee woke up with a little jump, there was a thudding echoing through the room. With a small moan, she streached over the side of the bed to put some light in the room. The noise pauses for just a moment and when it begins again, Kalee's sleep fuzzy brain realizes someone is knocking at the door. She slips from bed and glances out her open curtains. She swears softly at the cheap motel, because all she can see in the hallway is a dark form in front of her door. Detirmned not to let the fear into her voice, she called out "Who is it?"
"It's me, Kalee." A gasp escapes her and confusion clutters her mind as the familar voice continued, "Open up."
No, this can't be happening. Why did the past follow her? She had thought it was over. Didn't he get her note? Why did he bother following her? Didn't he see that this would just hurt both of them more? Tears blurring her eyes, Kalee leaned her head against the door. "No, I can't"
"Don't be stupid, Kalee. Open the door. We need to talk."
"No," she yelled her denial through the door, then whispered "No."
"Baby, please we can work it out, but not through this chunk of wood. You left me for no damn reason and I want you to explain. Do you know how crazy I've been these past few days? Let me in."
The tears poured down her cheeks. Realizing he wasn't going to go away, she unlocked the door, but walked away without opening it.
Her breath caught as he pushed the door open and filled the door frame; Tall, broad-shouldered, lean-hipped, perfection. She had missed him so much, but seeing him now made caved a bigger hole in her hear. They would still have to part ways.
Not saying a word, Jake stepped forward, into the light displaying the mud caked onto his boots, clothes, and even his skin. His dark hair was matted to his head and his face was rough with facial hair. Obveiously, The past few days have not been easy for him.

For a minute they just stood there, looking at each other. Kalee looked anywhere but his eyes, studying his tall frame. Suddenly, Jake stalked forward forcing Kalee to back up until she was sitting on the bed her eyes on her hands.
He kneeled in front of her, and gently tilted her chin up to look at him.
Desperation, weariness and pain. The pain she sees in his eyes drives a knife through her heart.
"Kalee." His voice was soft, a contrast to the violent emotions in his eyes.
She swallowed, "Jake"
Oh, god, how she has missed him.
Slowly, never losing contact with her eyes, he leaned forward.

---------------


More coming... I never realized how hard this one could be to write...
© Copyright 2006 TrixieR (trixier at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1096692-Break-in-the-Kentucky-Rain