*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1096854-Fathers-Day-Wishes
Rated: E · Essay · Relationship · #1096854
I wrote for this article for a small magazine before I found this site.
Father’s Day Wishes

Sigmund Freud said, “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” Protector is just one of the many roles a father plays. They are our heroes, our mentors, our support systems, our nurturers, our providers, our critics, our fans and our friends. They keep us grounded and help us soar. Fathers are the imparters of wisdom and offer us the security we need. Whether they help us spiritually, mentally or even sometimes financially, they are expressing the love and compassion that only a father-figure knows.

Father’s day is the one day of the year dedicated to our dads. This special day was created by Sonora Dodd in 1909. She came up with idea while listening to a Mother’s Day sermon. Her father, William Smart, had raised her and five other siblings by himself after her mother died in childbirth. She was so moved by his courage, compassion and love that the next year, around the time of his birthday, she held the first Father’s Day. All dads have Richard Nixon to thank for making it a permanent national holiday in 1972.

This Father’s Day there are thousands of ideas for things to buy for dad. But perhaps the most meaningful gift would be the gift of time. Go to a ballgame with him, go fishing with him. Go morel mushroom hunting with him and cook him a meal from the fruits of your labor. Write him a poem or a song. Play catch with him. Pick some flowers for him. Draw him a picture. Take him out to dinner. Bake him a pie...but whatever you do, make a memory. You only have one father. Appreciate him and especially cherish time that you can spend with him. Whether you are sharing a bonfire, having a beer, sitting in a museum, grilling out, or going to a movie, just the presence of spirits enjoying a mutual experience is bonding and connecting.

I have many friends whose fathers have passed on. This father’s day will be especially poignant for them. If you can’t be with your own father, take out someone whose father is not with them anymore and ask them to speak about their memories of their father. It may amaze you what you might learn. Honor an uncle or a step-father or grandfather or a big brother...anyone who is a father figure.

If you are lucky enough to still have your father with you, let him know that he has made a difference in your life. Thank him. Tell him you love him and are glad that somewhere in the universe the decision was made that he would be your father.

On June 18, Fathers are kings for a day. Make it your personal goal to assure that they know how much they are appreciated and loved the year around. After all, where would you be without them? Just a glimmer in your mother’s eye....
© Copyright 2006 Rebecca Sue (rebeccasue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1096854-Fathers-Day-Wishes