*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1098057-The-Secrets-of-Sorority-Life-Revealed
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Young Adult · #1098057
Thinking about going Greek? Worried that the rumors are true? Read this.
The Secrets of Sorority Life Revealed


Togas, letter shirts, kegs, frat boys, songs, and secret handshakes. This was my perception of sorority life. I thought the whole Greek system was a shallow and superficial way to buy friends. I imagined herds of conniving girls dressed in jean mini skirts and cute flowery letter shirts taking over campuses; accepting friends based solely on looks, wealth, or slimness. This was my opinion until the spring semester of my sophomore year when I too pledged and became a part of Greek life.

Most people’s idea of Greek life comes from Hollywood. The movie industry focuses primarily on the social and partying aspects of an organization, not the diverse or philanthropic components. Think Animal House or Legally Blonde. We picture drunk college frat boys funneling beers, taking shots, and doing keg stands, while their sorority girlfriends debate amongst themselves what they will wear to the next mixer and if they have applied the perfect amount of lip gloss. We don’t picture sorority girls doing community service or working hard to fundraise for different philanthropies; but they do.

“It upsets me when people make ignorant comments about sororities,” said 21-year-old Jan Moskowitz, a sister of Sigma Sigma Sigma. “We are not a bunch of stuck up snobs who do nothing but shop; we donate lots of time and money to the community and non-profit organizations and people don’t give us credit for that.”

Like many sorority girls, Moskowitz has never regretted her decision to pledge. Since high school she knew that she wanted to join a sorority. She had no idea which one she would choose, she only hoped that she would find one that was perfect for her.

“Ever since my sister got her letters I knew I too would be a sorority girl,” said Moskowitz. “The stories and experiences my sister made in four years were unforgettable; I wanted the same opportunity.”

Moskowitz is one of 850 students at Rowan University to go Greek. That is roughly 12% of the school’s student body. With only 12% of its student’s active in Greek life, Rowan is not overrun or ruled by the Greek community. With 5 million Greek members in the nation, there are many colleges and universities that are however, dominated by fraternities and sororities.

“I graduated high school with a girl who chose her college not by size, academics, or location, but by what sororities were on campus,” 21-year-old Stacey Tropeano said. “I could never understand wanting to be part of a sorority. Both of my roommates are in sororities and it just seems like unnecessary drama.”

While some girls would feel lost on campus without the support of their sororities, others would rather drop dead than join one. Many college women believe the myths and stereotypes that society has created about sororities.

Stereotype #1 Sororities don’t care about Academics

On average, Rowan University’s sorority average is a 3.1 GPA, which is higher than the school’s average of 2.9. Sorority doesn’t strictly mean social. One of the most important ideals that sororities were founded on is scholarship. Many sorority girls are members of various academic honor societies, and are recipients of numerous academic scholarships. In fact, there are many scholarships available to women who go Greek that aren’t available to anyone else.

“I am able to pay off a good portion of my student loan each month because I decided to pledge,” said Pamela Tavalaro, a 22-year-old senior and member of Sigma Sigma Sigma who received an academic scholarship for her outstanding GPA. “The scholarship aspect of sorority life is extremely important to my organization. Having a high collective GPA is a standard we constantly strive to obtain.”

Stereotype #2 Sorority girls are self-absorbed

Every sorority has specific philanthropies they fundraise and donate money to. These could include: breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, rape victims, and many more. Each semester a certain amount of money must be contributed to these organizations. There is a lot of hard work, time, and dedication put into raising this money. Every year Rowan University’s sororities donate thousands of dollars to these organizations, and spend countless hours serving the campus and local community. Contrary to popular belief they aren’t always out partying or shopping.

Stereotype #3 the sorority is your life, you aren’t allowed to participate in other activities

Quite the opposite, sororities encourage their members to participate in a variety of on and off campus activities. Most girls hold part time jobs, many play on college sports teams, and others are involved in different social and academic clubs. The goal of a sorority is to have a well rounded group of individuals.

“I would never want to be a part of a “cookie-cutter” sorority,” explained 21-year-old Kelly Horton, a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon. “In movies and on T.V. sororities are always made up of about 50 Barbie look-alikes who dress, talk, and act all the same. I can honestly say that my sorority is made up of an eclectic group of individuals, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Stereotype #4 All Sororities have eating disorders

There is an urban legend about plumbers having to clean out the pipes of sorority houses each month or so because they get clogged with vomit. Disgusting? Yes. Revolting? Yes. True? No. Eating disorders act as a plague to all women; not just those in sororities. Society has created an unrealistic and unhealthy image of the ideal woman. Nationwide, girls feel so much pressure to be thin that they are losing weight in unhealthy ways. Anorexia and bulimia are two disorders that hurt women of all ages, certainly not just college girls who are in sororities.

Stereotype #5 You Pay for your Friends

“That is the comment that makes me so mad!” Horton said. “I have found a group of people who have similar interests as me and we joined an organization. A sorority is run just like a business; we have dues to pay. I don’t understand what the big deal is.”

The infrastructure of a sorority is set up to mirror a business. You have a President, Vice President, secretary, accountant, etc. Each position works together to keep the sorority running smoothly and efficiently. The leadership skills and experience gained from being in a sorority is priceless. You can speak to a crowd, voice your opinion, take control of a situation, and organize events. The experience you can gain in four years is worth more than any internship.

The truth is sororities aren’t for everyone. For some, they offer stability, comfort, and a friendly face among the crowd. Sororities can introduce you to new experiences, perspectives, and people. The bottom line is that YOU make your college experience. Don’t judge a book by its cover, and don’t buy into stereotypes. Experience things for yourself and make your own decisions.

"People ask why I'm in a sorority and I try to explain all the things a sorority is that they cannot see. A sorority is more than letters on a sweatshirt, I say. More than traditional songs, gold pins, rituals, obligations, or a way of life. A sorority is learning about people, a sorority is giving without expecting a return. A sorority is earning respect from others, as well as for yourself. A sorority will not solve all your problems. But I have made good friends and found confidence there to help me take life one step at a time" author unknown.







© Copyright 2006 Tara Roe (roxy0784 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1098057-The-Secrets-of-Sorority-Life-Revealed