*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1098125-A-New-Friend-Found
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1098125
A story about how I got my Dog and waht I learend about pound dogs.
A New Friend Found

This is a story about how I got my dog. More importantly about how I went from being a confirmed pure bread, needs papers and prestige dog person, to a pound dogs are great, and just as good, if not better than pure bread dogs person.


I was 14 and enjoying a lazy hot summer, when I returned home early on a July day after a short day trip out of town with my parents, to discover that my 12 year old pure bread sheltie Jasmine ( great dog/ and spoiled) had gotten out of the backyard and disappeared. My parents and I, frantic with worry immediately began searching the neighborhood for her. Sadly however we didn’t find her that evening, or the next evening, or the next until eventually three weeks had passed.

My parents and I had been checking the pound regularly for her everyday with no sign. Its was exactly three weeks to the day, since she had disappeared that my parents came home form the pound and asked me to sit down so they could talk to me. They told me that they had seen a dachshund for adoption at the pound and my mom who loves dachshunds wanted to adopt him. They said we would still look for Jasmine, but that they wanted me to come to the pound and see the dachshund myself. They said we would only get him if I wanted to though.

So less than an hour later we were on our way to the pound. We arrived and got out of the car and walked into the pound. After first checking to see if Jasmine had been found with negative results, we walked over to the adoption area. I walked to the cage where the dachshund was and I almost melted. There sitting on the hard concrete floor was the sweetest, cutest little red colored dachshund I had ever seen. He looked so small sitting their, staring at me not barking or anything. I knew then that I had found a new friend and a short time later after paperwork and paying a small adoption fee we walked out of the pound with a new member of the family.



Sadly we never found Jasmine, however I feel certain that had she been able she would have returned to us, which leads me to believe that she must have been hit by a car or something else to that effect. It will be six years this summer since those events and I am happy to say that Oscar (not so little anymore) and now almost ten years old is still with us, happy and healthy. I still think about Jasmine a lot, but I know that she is in doggie heaven, still keeping an eye on my parents and me and Oscar from time to time. I thank God for the happy years I had with Jasmine and for the years and years to come with the little red dachshund named Oscar. ( also a great dog and now very spoiled)

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
© Copyright 2006 LazyWolf (lazywolf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1098125-A-New-Friend-Found