*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1098790-The-Coffin
by Dejaa
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1098790
Uncle Ed and the Coffin
Summer time is a time when southern folks fix up their hunting camps. This weekend was no different from any other. Uncle Ed met his friend Cotton up at camp and took the kids. The camp house was run down and in bad need of repair. Uncle Ed wanted to keep the kids out till he got some thing fixed, and the snakes run out.

Sue had brought a friend to camp with her this time and Uncle Ed did not want them playing in the camp house for fear of snakes and such. Of course telling Sue not to go inside the camp house was like pouring gas on a fire cause she just had to see what was inside.

A few minutes later Uncle Ed and Cotton heard the screen door open. They were sitting on the porch so Ed started staying, "Cotton I know you did not mean to do it. You would never shoot any one on purpose. You just couldn't see him in your line of sight. When you put him in the old coffin did you find any identification on the body?" Cotton said, "Naw naw, didn't find anything on him, don't know who he was.

Sue and her friend Sally were just about to the hallway where Uncle Ed had put the coffin earlier that day. It was just an old wooden coffin he had used for Halloween. Sue's friend stiffened, "What are they talking about, who'd he kill? Sue said "aw they just jawing. Old Cotton could never kill any one, pap just don't want us in here that’s all." Sally, "I don't know I'm scared."

Cotton said, "You don't think those girls are gonna go in there do you Ed." "Naw, they're good girls they'll mind." Sue and her friend stopped to listen to see if the men were gonna say anything else. "When it gets dark we'll just take that coffin and bury it out back, no one will ever know. He's probably just some drifter no body will miss" said Ed.

Sally is really shaking bout now, "Sue lets get out of here, I don't wanna see no dead body." "Come on scaredy cat, they're just trying to pull our leg. There ain't any dead man in here," whispered Sue. The girls started back towards the hall stopping at the corner and peeped down the dark hallway. They saw the coffin. Tugging on Sue's arm Sally breathed, "Let's go Sue, I don't want no part of this. "Come on chicken nothing to be scared about," Sue badgered. The girls slowly crept down the hall to the coffin.

Sue, "It's just a Halloween thing of pap's, nothing to be worried about. Come on I'll show you." Sue moved to the side of the Coffin, there was not much room as it filled the hall. She motioned to Sally to get beside her as she lifted the lid. Ed and Cotton heard such screams from those two as they almost tore the screen door off running out of the camp house that they fell over laughing. You know Ed putting that dummy in the coffin was a great idea Sue would never have fell for it with out it.
© Copyright 2006 Dejaa (dejaa_98 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1098790-The-Coffin