*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/109881-Chap-5-The-Big-Question
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Romance/Love · #109881
I had to show her nothing would change between us. I chose the best way to do that.
CHAPTER FIVE

The Big Question

         I was stunned beyond belief. I just couldn’t really believe it. It was exactly like they always say: you hear about it all the time and think hardly anything of it at all, until it happens to you, or someone you love. “Cancer. MS. Lou Gehrig’s Disease. You hear it all the time on the news. But that always happens to someone else, right? I know epilepsy isn’t a terminal illness, but the shock felt the same to me just then as if it had been one of those.” These thoughts and many others raced through my mind as I drove home. But at the same time, none of those typical thoughts bothered me. Why? Because I’ve never felt so good in all my life! That’s why. I just plain felt good all over. I found myself not only loving her more than ever, but a good portion of that feeling came from the fact that she was so honest with me. That she loved me enough to risk my walking out rather than try to hide it from me. Now I KNEW I couldn't let her get away! As if I would have before. And this feeling I get way down inside: just the idea that I made, and still make such a terrific difference in her life fills me to overflowing with a sensation I have never known before. Only now I faced a new problem. My parents would NEVER go for this; especially mom.
         My mind continued racing with the sudden impact of this. I found myself trying to take it all in at once, and trying to figure out all the ramifications of it at the same time. I was more determined than ever to stick by her. That’s what the right kind of love is about. And I felt so good about her that I had no doubt that our love was right.
         I saw and felt three things constantly changing places in my head. First, I wasn’t about to give up on her as others had, but that means knowing what I'm going to be dealing with here. What is it? What causes it? Second, I was typically curious. What are her seizures like? How long do they last? How do they affect her specifically? And third, I certainly have to find a way to let her know, without a doubt, that I will always be there to help her deal with them, whenever they happen.
         I acted as natural as I could when I arrived home. I managed to talk my way past the family’s “How was the play?” “Did you feel it was worth it?” “How did Linda like it?”
         “That last question must have been a matter of courtesy,” I thought, “considering the way they feel about Linda being the only girl in my life.” I worked my way safely to my room, closing the door behind me. They would not think that unusual because I had been doing it for years to shut out noises and fall asleep.
         With the door firmly shut (it didn’t latch – I had to settle for a good, stiff jam), I frantically changed into my pajamas, turned on my reading light, grabbed the “E” volume of my encyclopedia, and jumped into bed. It was midnight.
         The next day, too, I continued to enlighten myself as much on the particulars of epilepsy as I was able to without being overly obvious. I definitely couldn’t let my mother find out. So I had to be careful.

         That Saturday night, Linda asked her parents if she could talk to them for a minute. The seriousness of her tone to them, as always, inferred, “I’ve got a problem. Will you help me?” After they were all seated comfortably, she began:
         “Jim’s parents don’t like him only going out with one girl. His dad’s talked to him about it already. “Officially” he’s only supposed to go with me until school’s out. Jim says he’ll find a way regardless, and for me not to worry. But I keep going back and forth. One minute I figure ‘If he’s man enough to love me even thought I’m an epileptic, he sure should be able to handle this.’ And the next minute it’s ‘I hope they don’t manage to break us up.’ Jim says they could change their approach at any time, that we’ll have to roll with the punches, but that he won’t give up. That thought winds me back up and the cycle starts again. And the thought of possibly not seeing him at all for any period of time just tears me up. What can I do?” she asked, finally stopping to breathe a little after ‘stating her case’.
         “It may be hard, honey,” mom said, but if your love for each other is real, it will survive this and anything else.”
         “Jim’s right, Lin,” dad continued. “the best thing to do is roll with the punches. Try your best to remember that he’ll be suffering right along with you. Every step of the way. Possibly more so than you because he’s on the direct receiving end of any decision they make. But from what I’ve seen in watching the two of you together and talking to him, when I get the chance, I agree with your first statement: since he can handle your epilepsy, he can handle this. The toughest part for you is going to be two things, sweetheart. Waiting for the time to pass when you can’t be together, and remembering not to let him down, or let him know you’re discouraged, when you are together. He needs that time with you, however short it may be, as bad as you need it with him. Maybe more, because he has to go home and face them. That time with you can really boost his courage and the chances for both of you, if you use it right. But, even if it has to hurt him a little, never fail to be honest with him. He can help you so much more if he knows the truth about how these things are affecting you. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but you can be honest and still boost his courage by letting him know you haven’t given up either. He’ll see the honesty, and that will boost him, too. Do you understand what I’m trying to say?”
         “Yes, I think so, Linda concluded. “And a little prayer work won’t hurt either,” she added as she got up from the couch. “Thanks, dad. Thanks, mom. You’ve been a big help. I appreciate it. ” With that, she kissed each of them and went off to her room.

         The following Thursday, Linda came over to my house. We spent most of the time around the piano, but we were out in the front yard with the rest of the family when I had first picked her up and brought her over. Dad wanted to take a sound movie of us (no camcorders back then, either), for reasons I may never fully figure out. “I’m not going to knock it, “ I thought to myself, “but if he doesn’t want me sticking with only her, why the movie?”
         Shortly after the movie was completed, only dad, Linda and I were left outside. I didn’t feel all that comfortable talking to him about her now, but I felt I had to mention it to someone, just to feel better until I felt secure about knowing how to handle one of her seizures. And, I have to admit, up to now my folks had always come through when the chips were down. So maybe, just maybe, he would understand after all. I had to take that chance.
         “Dad, there’s something I want to say, but I couldn’t say it before with mom out here. You know how she looks down on everybody a little bit, and even more on people with problems.”
         “Yeah, Jim, I know.”
         “Dad, I want to say this for two reasons. First, if something happens you’ll know what I was up against. Second, if I hear myself say it, it might sink in a little better.” I looked lovingly at Linda as I spoke; both to reassure her of the fact that I still loved her, and to boost my courage. With her there, I couldn’t back down because of what she’d think of me. “Dad, Linda’s an epileptic.”
         I don’t remember what we said after that, but I do remember that there was nothing said against Linda; nothing like that. The tough part behind me, Linda and I adjourned to the basement and an afternoon of song and warm embraces. When we’d finished, I drove her home in time for supper, returning to spend the evening in eager anticipation of what would be mine tomorrow. (When that sound movie was developed, it came back on a reel by itself, not with any of our other home movies. I put it away in a separate place so they couldn’t decide later to pitch it without telling me. Problem was, by doing that, I lost it. Later on I couldn’t find it and couldn’t remember where I’d put it. Ironically I now have all the other family movies in my possession, from my first birthday on – 16mm, 8mm, Super 8mm, sound 8mm. All of them. Except that movie. JAW 3/25/2010)

         Friday, May 20th had arrived. That morning I was a wreck. Emotionally, anyway. I knew concentration in school would be impossible. Tonight was The Prom. My Senior Prom. The first of the last four major events of my high school experience: The Prom, Class Day, Baccalaureate and Commencement. As with most high schools, the Junior-Senior Prom was the big social event of the school year. Cooperation from the Administration for special events was always great, but even they went all-out for The Prom. In the annual tradition, the cafeteria was to be specially decorated for the evening’s festivities, the decorating to begin immediately after lunch.
         Linda and I had arranged to meet for lunch. Neither of us being hungry, we walked slowly around the grounds, talking of everything we had an interest in and learning a little more about each other. Suddenly I just HAD to ask her a question.
         “Linda,” I said without hesitation, “who do you think a guy owes more allegiance to? His family, or… well, let’s create a hypothetical situation. Who does a guy owe more allegiance to? His family or his wife?”
         “His wife,” she said immediately.
         “Then, let’s back that case up a little. Who does the guy owe more allegiance to now? His family, or… “

         School was, as usual, out at 2:45 P.M. Linda had missed her bus again. She, Dennis and I walked to the cafeteria, where the decorating was on full speed ahead – and where Dennis and I were to pick up our rented tuxedos for the evening. We sat down at a table, and waited patiently until 3:00. No tuxedos. Dennis went to the office to check.
         As soon as he was out of sight down the hall, I felt a sudden, undeniably strong wave come over me. I knew what this unseen Power was telling me to do, and I was fully and wonderfully in agreement with what it wanted. Yet the deep love I felt for Linda still managed to make me nervous. But that Power would not be denied. Without hesitation, as if I had planned it from the beginning, I slid my chair close to Linda, and warmly took her hand in both of mine.
         “Lin, do you remember what we were talking about at lunch today?” I asked hopefully.
         “No,” she said warmly, with just a hint of humor at the embarrassment of it.
         I almost bit the end of that word off as I realized her reply and began again:
         “About who the guy owes more allegiance to?”
         “Yes,” she said, smiling.
         I fixed my eyes on hers and continued: “I… wasn’t assuming too much there, was I? You… DO want to be my WIFE, don’t you?” I asked softly, hoping and praying I hadn’t been too bold about it for her way of thinking, but at the same time wondering where I had summoned the massive amount of courage needed to take such a step.
         “YES!” she squealed aloud, openly and unashamedly grinning from ear to ear, and finding it almost impossible to refrain from a loud outburst of sheer joy. That raptured look of love I had seen only once before came flooding back, filling her entire being in a fraction of a second.
         Knowing from before what was now pent up within her, I had to give her a release for all that. I moved over a little closer still, and put my arm around her. She laid her head on my shoulder, and didn’t take her eyes from mine until we heard Dennis returning. I had taken a chance with that embrace, because such outward displays of affection in public were somewhat frowned upon by the administration. But at that point, I didn’t care. She was far more important.
         “Bad news,” Dennis reported as he reached the table. “No tuxes.” He smiled as we broke up the embrace. We both wanted to burst with the news, but we both knew we couldn’t. Not without thinking first about who it was safe to tell, and doing it only when we were certain we wouldn’t be overheard by the wrong people. I knew it would be safe to tell Dennis, and doing so was to be one of the best decisions I would ever make. But at that moment we had no guarantees that we wouldn’t be overheard.
         “Swell,” I said. “I guess we’re each on our own, then.”
         Currently at a loss for a way out of the tuxedo dilemma, we walked to the car, figuring mom had been waiting for us since 2:40. I was able to hide my ecstasy over Linda’s accepting my proposal without any trouble – for if mom should ever find out that – well, I just couldn’t let that happen. Not until the time was right. Just right. I concentrated my thoughts, therefore, most willingly, on the evening of wonder and utter delight that lay ahead for me and my fiancée. Oh, that word! Just listening to it said by my own silent lips I heard bells. Joyous wedding bells that were to come.
         “No tuxes,” I said as Linda, Denny and I piled into the back seat of dad’s Rambler wagon. “Hopefully we can find a rental on short notice.”
         “I’m going to hit the phone book when I get home and see what I can find,” said Denny.
         “We should be able to find something,” said mom.
         Linda and I made a point of not looking at each other too much. We didn’t want our emotions showing on our faces and giving us away.
         We reached Denny’s house first. “Good luck, Denny,” I said as he got out of the car. See you there.”
         “One way or the other I’ll be there”, he laughed. “If I backed out on her now, Barb would kill me; and I don’t have a death wish!”
         As we pulled out of his driveway, Linda moved away from the center of the seat. “Good,” I thought to myself. “We don’t need to be letting on anything to mom and dad, and this makes it easier to avoid the temptation to be affectionate.”
         A few minutes later we pulled into Linda’s driveway. Neither of us showed any affection as she got out of the car. “Lin, I’m not sure what the heck I’ll be wearing but I’ll pick you up in a few hours,” I laughed.
         “I’ll be ready,” she said, smiling, “and you better not back out on ME, either!”
         The discussion all the way home, thankfully, centered on what the heck I was going to do for a tux. Mom and dad said they wanted to get a couple pictures of us at the house before we left for the school. I found myself wondering why, if they didn’t want me staying with her, but I wasn’t going to knock the opportunity. We found a tux about one and a half hours later that looked like it would fit.

         “God,” I thought out loud as I started getting ready that evening. “I knew I’d be going to the Prom; I’d planned that since the year began. Only I figured I’d be going with a close female friend, or a girlfriend at the most. I don’t think I’d even thought about going steady by now. And here I am getting ready to pick up my fiancée! Man it feels good to say that!”
         “OK, time for the tux,” I said, now talking to myself to try and keep from getting too excited. My thoughts were already flying to the altar. Even if I had wanted to I don’t think I could have brought them back down to earth. But a comical awakening did it for me, at least temporarily.
         “Great!” I moaned moments later as I put on the trousers. “The length is OK, but the darn things are too big and baggy. From the waist down I look like Harpo Marx!” I laughed as I stared at the mirror. “Now what?” It wasn’t long, however, before I had a sudden inspiration. “Right!” I shouted as I headed for the closet. “Tux is black, my orchestra uniform pants are a dark Navy blue. The light we’ll be in should be subdued enough that no one will notice that, and they both have the same style of stripe down the side of the legs. Exit problem, enter solution.”
         The shirt fit just fine, thank you. “Cuff links. Shit!” I muttered as I got them off the cardboard. “I forgot about these things.” Left sleeve using right hand, no problem. But the right sleeve using the left hand was another matter. It’s only at times like this, when I need a good amount of manual dexterity in that hand that I’m reminded of that ever-so-slight touch of Cerebral Palsy on my left side. “Well, here goes,” I said to myself. Got it through one side of the cuff, laid my arm down on the table so the cuff link didn’t fall back out on me, and began the task of working it through the other side and fastening it. “A full minute and a half dozen tries later, success has been achieved!” I intoned.
         Time was running out, so I grabbed my camera and flew out the door. Drove three blocks and came back to put on the tie.
         “OK, brains, let’s move a little slower, shall we?” I chided myself as I took inventory of the tux parts, grabbed the jacket, her corsage and the camera and went out the door again.
         The Prom starting at 9:00 P.M., I managed to arrive at Linda’s by 8:40 to enable her father and myself to take some pictures before we left. After giving her the corsage, I just stood back and looked at her. I couldn’t help myself. She was wearing a stunning, full-length blue formal, which flattered every line of her figure. To me, she was a goddess.
         After stopping back at my house so dad could take a couple pictures of us, we arrived at the school about 9:02 P.M. and enjoyed ourselves to the hilt.
         Needless to say I couldn’t wait to get the “Official” prom picture taken with my fian-cée. I knew this would be one we’d treasure forever.

The "Official" (professional) photo of us from my senior prom.


         Having my “little black box” along, I snapped a picture of one of the wall-sized murals that decorated one end of the room, and prevailed upon friend Dennis, whom we had located soon after arrival, to take a shot of my love and myself standing before the remaining mural.
         The music for the evening was provided by the well-known Cliff Lash and his Orchestra of our local WLWT-TV’s “50-50 Club”. Having the services of this renowned local ensemble for our Prom has been a tradition of the high school for quite a number of years. During their break time, entertainment was provided by fellow Anderson students, among them a pop group made up of students known well to Linda and myself.
         Also in the old tradition, the well known and loved silver ball hung from the center of the ceiling, radiating its multi-colored light beams in circular paths about the room.
         Somewhere in the evening’s festivities, they played one of Linda’s favorite melodies, “Strangers in the Night”, along with “More” (the theme from “Mondo Cane”), and “Misty”. For those present, the evening passed all too quickly. Other than Commencement, this was the last big event for the Senior Class. My class. Well, there was Class Day, but that was ONLY for Seniors. Our last big “fling” in high school.
         As I said, for those present the evening passed all too quickly. The final tick of the clock told all it was time to go their separate ways until next year – except for the final event of the night, that is.
         And so, all that remains for those of us who attended the 1966 Anderson Senior High School Junior-Senior Prom are fond, warm memories, and placecard booklets of the evening, plastered with autographs of fellow students, many of whom, after this year, we would never see again.
         The traditional “final event” of the Junior-Senior Prom Night was the Theatre Party. I’ve forgotten which theatre was rented for that night, but I won’t soon forget the movie: Blindfold, with Rock Hudson and Claudia Cardinale. Superb. I certainly hope I get to see it again. Someday.
         Most of the trip home after the Theatre Party was happily spent discussing how great the entire evening had been and how much more it meant to us now that we were engaged. Yes, we considered ourselves engaged. We figured that just because we couldn’t tell everybody about it was no reason it should not be considered “official”. Needless to say, Linda’s excitement over the entire matter of marriage hadn’t dimmed a bit. Obviously, as the conver-sation continued, the subject of “setting a date” came up.
         “Lin, honey, when do you want to get married? Or do you want to think about that for a while? We’ve got more than 1 choice, you know.”
         “Yeah, I know, Jim. Only…”
         I could tell she was getting serious here. That frightened me a little. So soon after my proposal and all. “What’s the matter, Lin? You’re not having second thoughts about marrying me, are you?”
         “No, Jim. Just the timing and the date.”
         Boy, was I relieved! But… “Then why so serious, honey?”
         “Well, I know we could get married in Kentucky anytime after your birthday this year, because I know my parents would sign for me if I asked them to, and we wouldn’t need your parents’ signature. And part of me loves the idea of getting married as soon as we can. Of not having to wait any longer than we absolutely have to. But…”
         “Go on, sweetheart,” I said gently. “I can tell you need to say something.” I tried to lighten the mood a little to make it easier for her. “I promise. I won’t bite.” With that, she risked a little smile, then continued:
         “Jim, the other part of me wants to wait until we can do it openly, here in Ohio, even, and shout it to the world. And whatever we finally decide to do, I think you should know why that part of me wants to wait.”
         She paused, took a deep breath, and went on:
         “There’s two reasons, really. One is the fact that, like I said before, I had nothing till you came along. Nothing romantic, I mean. Nobody special. You know what I mean. Anyway, um… all I had for years were my dreams. Of what I wanted the man in my life to be like, the family I wanted, the house, and everything. And the special wedding that started it all. Big and fancy. You know. Me wearing a beautiful white gown with a long train, and walking down that long, long aisle behind a string of bridesmaids to stand by your side. And then there’s the Wedding March. And throwing the bouquet. And you taking off the garter and throwing it. All the trimmings. It’s just that, I guess I’ve just been telling myself for years that I wanted it that way if I ever had something that beautiful come into my life. And now I’ve looked forward to it for so long that I can’t bear the thought of losing out on it after coming this close. Can you… understand?”
         I detected a good bit of hesitation there. I hoped she’d realize how gentle I wanted to be. “Yes, darling, I understand perfectly. And I wouldn’t dream of taking any of that beautiful day away from you. I mean that.”
         “Thank you, honey!”
         I could tell she was very relieved. “Okay, Squeek. You said two reasons, honey. What’s the other one? I’m curious, I have to admit.”
         “Oh, yeah,” she chuckled. “I got so involved in the wedding again, I almost forgot.”
         As she finished that sentence, I could tell the serious mood was coming again. I waited. It only took a few seconds.
         “Jim, I want the big wedding for mom, too. Not just for me. You see, uh… she’d looked forward to a big wedding for Suzie for a long time. And, well, you know about Suz and Russ. I can’t bring myself to cheat her out of it a second time.”
         Now I needed a time frame. “Yeah. Um… Debbie will be what… two this year?”
         “Right.”

         At about 4:30 A.M. Saturday morning we walked up to her front door. She turned to me and gave me an affectionate squeeze. I sensed she needed to say something. She paused for a moment; searching for words, I think.
         “Sweetheart, I really enjoyed tonight. I mean it. When this year started I didn’t think I’d even be going to the prom. You not only made a dream come true tonight; you made my lifetime dream come true when you asked me to marry you. I love you!
         With that she put her arms around me again and when I reciprocated we shared another of those special kisses.
         “Lin, honey, I love you, too. You know, in a way, you don’t have to thank me. I did this for myself, too. I wanted an excuse to hold you, and kiss you that you wouldn’t likely turn down. And I found it,” I finished, smiling broadly.
         “Oh, YOU!” she laughed, punching me in the side with her elbow.
         (I’d meant that was why I’d asked her to the PROM. I obviously didn’t say that very well, and I don’t remember now whether she ever said anything about whether she figured that out later or not. This one still brings a smile to my face, even today, and it's been 34 years. JAW 5/5/00)
         I held her again. We stood there for a few more minutes, neither of us wanting the night to end.
         “Lin, I wish I didn’t have to leave you behind right now,” I said a bit wistfully.
         “I know, honey,” she said. “I feel the same way.”
         Finally we shared one more kiss and I headed for home.

         The total time Linda and I were together the night of the Prom was a good, solid eight hours. The most heavenly eight hours I could remember up to that time. And the added reason she had chosen to tell me beforehand of the epilepsy. I had not yet experienced one of her seizures, but I never doubted for a minute that with her love behind me I could handle anything. Same old story? So was the idea that I’d found the right girl the first time. Case closed. I made it to bed myself by 5:00 A.M. “It’s a good thing it’s Friday night,” I thought drowsily. I drifted off amid thoughts of Linda and the difference I’d made, and was making, in her life. This “simple, normal relationship” which my parents seemed so set against, was fast becoming an extremely rewarding experience.

         Saturday evening, just a little more than 12 hours after we parted, Linda was helping her mother with the supper dishes.
         “Mom, put that plate down a minute, will you?” she asked, smiling. Her mom looked at her. She thought at first that something was wrong. But then she noticed the smile. She sat the plate down.
         “What is it, honey?” she asked curiously.
         “Jim’s asked me to marry him… and I said YES!” she said excitedly.
         “That’s wonderful, honey!” mom said. But Linda could tell she had reservations about it.
         They finished the dishes.
         Later that evening, Linda and her parents were sitting in the family room. She’d already decided she wanted to be the one to tell her father so she spoke at the first opportu-nity.
         “Dad, Jim’s asked me to marry him… and I said YES!” Just the thought of that moment together brought all the excitement back. She grinned from ear to ear.
         “That’s wonderful, Squeek!” he said, every bit of his extremely happy mood showing in his voice, and his face, as he came over to where she sat and kissed her.
         “Don’t you think it’s going to be just a little difficult, though, with his parents feeling the way they do?” mom asked as dad sat down again.
         "Yeah, I know,” she answered. “But that was the farthest thing from our minds at the time. We’re willing to take that chance. And besides, we’re going to wait until he’s 21 anyway, so that should help. Since he turns 21 first, you and dad would sign for me, wouldn’t you?” she asked, though she felt she already knew that answer.
         “Sure we would honey. We’ve seen you and Jim together enough by now to know this isn’t a teenage crush. Besides: it took a lot of courage for Jim to accept your epilepsy. The fact that he’s willing to deal with that rather than give up on you says his feelings are serious. Most kids his age would have turned and run. And we only have to look at your face since you two have been together to know where your heart is in this thing.” She smiled.
         “Thanks, mom! I was hoping you and dad would believe me when I told you how we felt. And you haven’t let me down.”
         “How come you two decided to wait until Jim’s 21, sweetheart? I’m not knocking it, you know. I’m just curious,” asked dad.
         “Two reasons, really. I’ve always dreamed of a big wedding. And unless his folks sign, that’s the only way I’ll get it. And the second reason is,” she paused, searching for words, then continued: “That it would mean something special to mom, if you know what I mean.” She looked lovingly at her mother as she finished.
         They both knew immediately what she meant. “Thank you, Linda,” mom said warmly, getting just a touch emotional at the thought.
         “That’s a beautiful thought, honey. Thank you.” added dad.
         Her mom suddenly remembered the way she had felt on that same special day in her life, so she gave Linda the same opportunity she’d had at the time. “Would you like to tell us about it?”
         “I thought you’d never ask!” Linda beamed. And she proceeded to give them a running account of the event, from that lunch hour discussion she’d later forgotten, right up to Jim’s popping the question without the slightest hesitation. Not to mention how he’d caught her totally by surprise.
         “And when he saw how excited I’d become, he put his arm around me and hugged me right there in the cafeteria. He didn’t care who saw us. He knew I needed that, even if it was against the rules. I’m glad he did that, too – or I just might have shouted for joy and really embarrassed both of us.” She chuckled at the thought. “I just couldn’t wait any longer to tell you both, though,” she beamed, the thought of that great moment exciting her even now. “I just hope I didn’t pick a bad time.”
         “Oh, no, honey,” dad said as he stood up. “There’s never a bad time for good news like that. You just remember: we’ll help in any way we can.”
         She had started upstairs to tell Cork the news, but dad’s words struck home. With a flurry of happy tears, she turned right around, ran and kissed them both. As she again turned to go, she looked at them warmly and said, “Thanks. You’re the greatest parents a girl could have. I love you.”

         “What’s up, Cork? Why the long face?” Linda asked as she sat beside Little Sister.
         “When you get married, we won’t be able to talk like we have all these years; and I like that.” Tears started to well up in her eyes.
         Linda knew immediately that Cork had heard the discussion with their parents. She reached out with open arms and Cork jumped at the chance for that hug. “Oh yes, we will, Cork,” Linda assured her. I may not be living here, but that doesn’t mean I can’t come over a half dozen times a week and bug you, you know! I still need you, Cork, and don’t you forget it!” she said, sounding a bit like a drill sergeant at the end. She figured Cork could use the firm tone just then.
         “Thanks, Squeek,” Cork said, drying her eyes. “I love you!”
         “I love you too, Cork.”


This work is taken from "A Once In A Lifetime Love: An Autobiography of Two High School Sweethearts", copyright 2000, as yet unpublished, by the same author.
© Copyright 2000 Incurable Romantic (jwilliamson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/109881-Chap-5-The-Big-Question