*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1098967-Broken-Inside-Part-Two
Rated: 13+ · Other · Gothic · #1098967
the struggle of a 17 year old girl to find herself
My situation hasn't improved much. Here I am, sitting at a bus stop, just to keep dry from the torrential rain. I'm wearing tattered jeans, converse, a thin t-shirt, and a faded hoodie. To put it bluntly, i'm frozen. I last ate two days ago, a snickers I stole from a 7/11, I've hitch hiked up to Oregon, and DAMN IT'S COLD!! I dunno how these people can stand it.
I heard a shuffling of feet in front of me, and I looked up. There stood a girl, around my age, give or take a year. She was soaked to the bone, wearing a thin white t-shirt and jeans, clutching a messenger bag. She looked at me.
"Would you mind if I sat there?" She asked, pointing to the seat next to me. "To conserve body heat," she said.
"No problem," I said, scooting over. I could tell she was a runaway as well, just by looking at her. I could count her ribs through her shirt, and her hair has lank, and unkept.
"Avril," she said, sticking out her hand.
"Jade," I replied, too cold to extend a hand. She understood, and clutched her bag for warmth.
"I have another hoodie... if you want to borrow it," I said, looking at her as she tried to warm herself by huddling inside her t-shirt. She looked at me with grateful eyes and smiled. I handed over my Fall Out Boy hoodie, and she accepted it graciously. It was just then that I realized she has violet eyes.

We sat in that miserable place until the rain had stopped. Of course, by then we were both asleep, her head on my shoulder. When I opened my eyes, there were birds chirping, and a man in a buisness suit was sitting across from us. I found this quite creepy, seeing as he was staring at me, and when I opened my eyes, he hadn't broken his gaze. He kept staring. Eventually (after I had made a quite{i/} rude sign concerning my middle finger, he lowered his gaze and I turned toward my companion. I nudged Avril awake.
"Hey," I whispered.
"Mmm?" she replied sleepily, lifting up her head.
"Look at that guy, he's been staring at me for a while when I was asleep." She sat up, and stretched. She looked at the man.
"Hey," she said, standing up. "You're creeping out my friend when you're staring at her like that."
He didn't say a word, he kept fiddling with his cell phone. Completely creeped out, we left.

"Where to?" asked Avril, looking up and down the street.
"I dunno," I replied. "I don't even know what city we're in. I'm from California."
"Well..." she said, scratching her head and yawning again. "I'm pretty sure we're in Portland, cuz look, there's Powells Books there, and that $1 sushi place across the street.
"One dollar sushi?" I asked, licking my lips.
"Yeah," she said, rummaging through her bag. "Why?"
"It's just... I haven't eaten since the day before yesterday..."
"You mean you have money on you?" She asked, looking up.
"I dunno. I think I have like, 34 cents or something. Not enough to buy anything with." I said, looking through my pockets.
"34 tootsie rolls," said Avril, looking for the nearest gas station.
"Oh, great," I said. "Now we're supposed to live off Tootsie Rolls?!?!?"
"Just a thought..." she mumbled.

"So... what are we gonna do? I mean, when I ran away, I didn't exactly plan things out." I said, examining a sliver in my thumb.
"I dunno..." she said. "We should probably get out of Portland though."
"Yeah..." I said, looking off into the distance. We headed to the nearest highway.
"Are we gonna try to hitch hike our way somewhere?" I asked, adjusting the straps of my bag.
"Yeah," she said, stopping on the edge of the road. She took off the hoodie and folded her shirt up so that she looked a bit like Brittney Spears.
"What are you doing?!?!?" I asked, watching her.
"How else do you think we're gonna get a ride? You should do the same. How do you think I got here from Corvallis?"
"So... you're saying I should..." I said.
"Yeah," she said, rummaging in her bag. She extracted a towel and a denim cutoff mini skirt. "Here, hold up the towel, I'm changing."
"HERE?!?" I exclaimed, gesturing to all the cars.
"Whaddya think the towel is for?" she asked, shoving it into my arms.

I reluctantly held up the towel as the slipped out of her jeans and into the skirt. She grabbed something else out of her bag, and when I let the towel drop, she was wearing this skimpy little halter top.
"You're kidding, right?" I asked, praying she would say yes.
"No," she said, shoving the rest of her stuff into her bag. "Do you have anything else to change into that's a bit more..."
"Slutty?" I supplied.
"Sure," she said.
"Uh...no, but I have another pair of jeans ans scissors. I wouldn't mind cutting them up to make a skirt..." I said, grabbing them out of my bag.
"Perfect," she said, and grabbed them from me. She made short work of them, and in less than 5 minutes, I had a skirt. When I tried it on, I was shocked to see it wasn't even halfway down my thigh.
"Oh my GOD!" I said, trying to cover myself.
"It's not that bad," soothed Avril. "Now get out from behind the towl and try to get us a ride," she said, shoving me out from behind my sanctuary and shoving the towel into her bag.

I felt so...different stalking around in what looked like a bra and a headband wrapped around myself. But it worked. Not half an hour later, an old El Camino pulled over with three teenage guys in it, varying between ages 17 and 21.
"Need rides?" the driver asked, leaning out the window.
"Yeah," Avril said, leaning foreward, making sure he got a good view of cleavage.
"Where to?" he asked, staring.
"Av?" I asked, "Where are we going?"
"I dunno," she muttered. "It realy depends," she said to him. "Where are you going?"
"New York," he said.
" In a car... from Oregon??" I asked incredulously.
"Fun huh?" he asked. "We'll be sure to get in some... quality time."
"Great," said Avril, and she climbed into the car. I had pretty much no choice but to follow her. Hesitantly, I climbed in. We had no choice but to sit on two of their laps. The guys were sure enjoying themselves, but I wasn't nearly as happy.
© Copyright 2006 All American Reject (jade at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1098967-Broken-Inside-Part-Two