*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1099557-Sweetheart
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1099557
Man's best friend, will always support you.
The heat was so awful, even in my house. Maybe it was worse inside that out. The dog show on TV reminded me of Sweetheart. I felt bad for her, sitting out side in the heat. As much as I had begged my mom to let her come inside, time and time again, she said no. While I was sitting inside with fans on me, her black coat was soaking in the sun. I turned off the TV, with an idea to entertain her. "I'm going outside." I told my mom, as I slipped on my sandals. The wind was slitely blowing through our neighborhood. We lived in a quite area which was nice because we didn't have to worry about noise. When I stepped outside, Sweetheart ran through the garage and up to me. "Hey Girl" I changed my voice. I loved her so much, I always had. From the minute I picked her up from the pound. I choose her because of her lively spirit, compared to the other dogs. She licked my hands and waved her tail, while I continued to pet her. We walked through the garage, and passed by moms parked car. my dad had been fixing our bikes, outside, and was cleaning up. "Hi Ellie Bell!" my dad greeted. "Can we make Sweetheart an obstacle course?" I asked. Dad agreed, he normally did. Dad was always a happy person. I helped pick up his tools, and put our bikes away. It didn't take much to build a small choarse. We just took everyday stuff, and put it together. Of coarse, Sweetie was never to good at getting through obstacle coarses. this one was no different. Ginger, our other dog, just layed aroud: happy to just watch. We had gotten her long before sweetheart. my parents told me I used to sit in her dog kennal and read books to her. Tecnically, I wasn't reading, I was making up stories, by the way the pictures looked. Ginger was lazy, but it was one of the things I loved about her. Someday, I knew I would enter Sweetheart in a dog compition. I had high hopes for her. After trying to get her to walk up the ramp, 15 times, i put on her leash and decided to go for a walk instead, it was much easier. I called up my friend Mary, who lived on my road. I asked her if she wanted to go with. Mary was the animal queen, she's had guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, cats, tons of dogs, and rabbits. But she was always willing to go on a walk with me and Sweetheart. Five minutes after she hung up the phone she was at the top of our driveway, with one of her dogs by her side. "Where should we go", she asked, "howabout that way", I pointed my hand twords the houseboat rental building. "K" she said.
To be continued............
© Copyright 2006 Ellen Stone (el200404 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1099557-Sweetheart