*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1101396-In-Limbo
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1101396
A boy needing something very much
In Limbo
Ian A. McKenzie

The chair is cold as I sit in it. Put my backpack and swimbag on the table, cross my arms and lean back. Someone, a friend joins me and sits in another chair. I talk to him but my eyes are wandering. The doors to the school open and close and open and close with people. I look at the clock. It is 7:55. She is not here. My friend keeps talking. I hear enough of the words to know they are there but I do not know what he is saying. 8 o’clock. Open and close and open and close. She is not here. Is she sick? Skipping? It’s finals week. She wouldn’t skip. So she’s sick? People are all around me. 8:05. Open. Close. 8:06. Open. Close. 8:07. My friend is gone but there are new people. The doors are blocked and I can’t see. Oh god I can’t see. 8:08. There are so many people now. She is not here. Sick? Get up and look for her? I could make it casual. 8:09. Breathing, I am still breathing. In. Out. In. Open. Close. Open. I can see the door now and it opens in out in out and there she is she has walked in. She is here. I am still sitting but my heart starts beating faster. I am still sitting. I am still breathing. Thumpinoutthumpinoutthumpin. I am still sitting and she doesn’t see me as she walks. She is all alone. Breathing and beating. I follow her and she is walking toward me and my chest I can feel my chest clench. There is no air. She is walking toward me. I look away she is coming right at me look down at my hands I cannot breath pretend to listen to someone and smile coming right at me five steps away look down and smile four three two no air I cannot breath no air no air one. Breathe in. Out. She is not there. I pause. Turn around and look to my right. She has walked past me and is walking up the stairs. I am still sitting. I watch her and I breathe in. Out. My heart slows. I look again at my hands. The bell rings. 8:10. I look at my hands and at the people around. I stand up. Grab my backpack and swimbag off the table. A friend walks up and starts talking and I walk to class.


© Copyright 2006 Ian A. McKenzie (ianmckenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1101396-In-Limbo