*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1103102-Half-life
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1103102
This is a story about the world people may have entered while they were under a coma
Chapter 1

2000, Greenville Massachusetts

The sky was dark and eerie. The highway was filled with mere lights, racing against each other on both directions. A young girl around the age of 17 was walking on a narrow path untouched by the taunting beams. Yet she could feel slight gushes of wind sweep itself beneath her shins. The girl had no look of fear. She appeared young, innocent, and lonely. She looks up, attention riveted by the sound coming from a huge hovering vessel right above her. It was a plane, its engines roared like thunder amidst the monotonous honks that constantly resonated from the roads. As if to further explain what she had just seen, different sounds suddenly came rolling in, screeching noises of rubber against cement, a woman’s voice coming from speakers announcing flight schedules. The girl’s head jerked sideward at which she saw a white sign board bordered with a green line, 3 miles south was an airport. But why was she there? Then came a yellow taxi, driving at a speed that exceeded its limit. The driver was out of control, cars were moving out of their way to let him pass. But it was futile. The taxi slammed against a trailer. Shards of glass disseminated from all sides. Police came running towards the wreckage. The girl followed suit. What she saw tormented her. A middle aged couple were on the back seat of the taxi, blood soaked. Their hands were still gripped together despite the terror they went through. An ambulance carried the passengers to a nearby hospital. The girl sighed and closed her eyes. The next scene she saw utterly confused her. In the hospital where the couple lay, an old lady was crying, lamenting over her loss. Next to her was a little girl who did not shed a tear but instead looked at the remains of her parents without a dab of emotion in her countenance. The little girl looked very much like herself, simply two years younger.

Robyn woke up panting heavily. She’d been having the same dream for a week. Two years ago her parents had died from a car crash after coming back from a business meeting abroad. She had been living with her grandmother since then. Violet Roberts had been very tough on her. The loss of her only daughter killed every remains of affection in her being and Robyn had been confronting her cold heart for nearly two years now. She glanced at the blue digital clock on her side table and sighed.

“It’s only five thirty in the morning” She thought aloud while she rubbed her eyes off sleep “School starts at 8.”

She set aside her blanket and decided to take a shower, clear up her mind with it maybe. Opening her closet, she hanged her uniform on the small hook behind the bathroom door. She looked about her room, it has been 2 years since she’d lived here. 5 blocks away was her old home, the home she shared with the parent’s she’d spent time with until the mere age of 15 but who’s memory shall live within her for eternity. Her grandmother agreed to take her in that same night of her parents’ accident. Robyn had always believed it was out of pity that her grandmother adopted her. Her features took a living semblance of her mother’s and she knew that Violet resented a single recollection of her daughter more so if everything about Robyn evoked those very memories. It took Robyn nearly 30 minutes to finish bathing, the past constantly replayed across her mind while the water slowly grazed her skin. By the time she went down for breakfast, her grandmother was already reading the paper, feigning awareness of her presence.
“Good morning grandmother!” Robyn said with a smile while she seated herself on the other end of their long mahogany dining table.
“Robyn…” Violet began.
Disturbed by her grandmother’s willingness to actually talk to her today, Robyn had a slight suspicion what this conversation would be all about.
“You have a meeting with Quaid Sinclair today after school.”
Robyn merely sighed. For nearly two years her grandmother had been planning to marry her off with this Sinclair guy she believed would be a perfect match for her. She hated the prospect of meeting a man she didn’t know anything about only that he is a year older with a good family background much like hers, and to think she’s only seventeen, practically too young to be married of to a complete stranger.
Violet cared less about her silence, she was determined to get this meeting over with as soon as possible, but her granddaughter’s stubborn nature was always in the way.
“Don’t screw it up this time, its been two years since I’ve been planning your meeting with him and based on what Terry tells me, you’d disappear almost every time!”
Robyn smirked at that remark. Their chauffer loved her dearly she knew, but when it’s about meeting this guy, she just can’t help but defy him on that score.
“You just can’t marry me off like this grandmother! I still got plans to go to college and take a degree in management. I want to be just like father!”
“Enough of this non-sense!” Violet’s eyes widened with rage at the memory of the man who was partly responsible for her daughter’s loss, “You are a girl, and what you need is a husband. College won’t do you any good. You just have to stay home and attend to your family once you have one!”
“Can’t I just study first then marry after! It’s the same thing! I’ll work part-time and pay off my schooling!”
Violet stood up with a glare in her eyes that always caused the hair on Robyn’s neck to stand on ends. “You will get on with the meeting this afternoon Robyn, and to make sure you don’t go disappearing this time, I will join Terry in fetching you from school whether you like it or not.”
Robyn slowly stood up, her chair gliding backward, rubbing itself against the marble floor of the dining room, the creaking resonating from every corner. She stared at her grandmother, on the verge of tears.
“Why can’t you just let me do what I want? I’d be happier you know. You just want me to be like you, cooped up in a house with nothing to do but interfere with other people’s lives!”
With that she ran out of the dining room stopping at the arched entrance to look back at her cruel grandmother hoping to find a trace of mercy in her countenance. But all she saw was an old woman unnerved by harsh words. As she slammed the main entrance door and met up with Terry on the gates, she didn’t see Violet’s eyes warm.
“It’s not about you being happy my child, its about you being safe.”

******

The car stopped at the school’s driveway where two brick walls held black iron gates that opened to a big European building. There were vast lawns with trees on both sides of the long drive, and small benches were placed on the foot of every tree. At the end of the driveway was a rotunda where cars circled around to drop off students. The rotunda held a big statue of an old sage, with a long beard holding the shoulders of a young kneeling graduate. The sage looked as if it was imparting knowledge on the student he held by the shoulders and at its bottom laid an engraved silver plaque which read “The Prentice high school of Greenville, Massachusetts”
“Miss Robyn, I will fetch you at exactly four in the afternoon because according to your grandmother, your meeting starts at four thirty.” Terry said at a rather formal tone as he opened the car door to drop Robyn off, and as if to lighten the mood he continued in a laughing manner. “Do you plan on being late again this time my dear?”
“Nope” Robyn began despondently “not today Terry, its time I get this over with”
“Why give up now?” Terry asked with a look of concern in his eyes, “It’s not as if you cant escape your grandmother again?” he continued remembering the 20 or so successful attempts Robyn had undergone defying her grandmother.
“Its not about escaping her, its about doing what she wants.” Robyn explained while walking towards the school’s entrance, “She won’t stop at nothing until all this is over, so I guess I can’t be stubborn about it forever”
“As you wish, Miss Robyn” Terry concluded with a sigh as he watched Robyn enter the large foyer and pulled the doors shut.
School was something that unlike other students Robyn enjoyed greatly. It was where she experienced different emotions she was banned from experiencing at home, like love and friendship. In school Robyn befriended everyone, and her cheerful disposition gained her lots of friends and acquaintances. But what she liked most about school was that it didn’t have the same sullen atmosphere that emanated from home. In school she could be herself and pretend there was nothing wrong with life.

“Today is another Sinclair day I presume!” A young petite girl with auburn curls came gliding down the staircase leading to the school’s classrooms.
“Nice guess Emma. Good Morning!” Robyn took on Emma’s side and walked along the huge hall where students are supposed to wait before the morning bell rang.
Emma Arson had been Robyn’s best friend for almost forever. They went to the same elementary schooling in Greenville Learning Academy and never left one another’s side until high school. They were truly an eye-catcher amongst the students, one a glamorous red-head with rich curls that matched her fine face, the other a slightly taller figure with beautiful honey colored hair that accented an exquisitely sweet visage. But what made them stand out with more distinction was their disposition. Both carried smiles everywhere and their charm allowed more smiles to wander on campus.

“Your going!? Emma said with a look of genuine terror in her eyes, “Are you out of your mind?”
“Not today, its time I get things over and done with!” Robyn said with a rather great conviction that made Emma realize her decision had already undergone plenty of thought.
Emma nodded “Remember, if ever you change your mind you can always take my car –“
“No need Ems.” Robyn cut in, “I’m already sure of this.”
“Oh Alright” Emma finished with a sigh “if you say so”
******

Violet looked worried as she watched her black porche pull up at the gates and Terry opened the doors motioning her to enter.
“uhm.. Terry” She began unsurely, “do you think I’m a bit too harsh on Robyn.”
Surprise filled Terry’s face at first but it no sooner grew warm as he shook his head looking as if understanding had dawned on him.
“Its just that I want the best for her, and I don’t want her to end up like her mother.” She explained.
Terry’s lips revealed a comforting smile, “I’m sure today would be different than the other’s madame.”
“I do hope so…” She said wryly, looking at the passing houses through the car’s windows.

******

Robyn stared unblinkingly at the clock above the black board. The shorthand slowly nearing the number four, and Robyn’s heart thudded against the apprehension of meeting Terry and her grandmother outside. What happens next was a complete blur but it sure wouldn’t be nice.
The bell rang and Robyn’s legs felt like lead. She slowly stood up, reached for her school bag while Emma stood at her side eying her with loyal concern.
“Rob, are you sure about this? You’ve been avoiding this moment for two straight years.”
Robyn smiled at her. A smile that belied the underlying emotions that swam at her depths. “Don’t worry about me, its just cold feet, I’ll get over it as soon as I meet up with Sinclair.”
They went down the wooden staircase together and stopped behind the front doors as Emma watch Robyn hand rise to reach for the handle. As Robyn drew the doors open she felt odd. Something about what was awaiting her felt special and in a way would somehow change her life. It seemed ironic to her then, so in a confused haze she hugged Emma goodbye and joined her grandmother in the car.
The car stopped outside a small café with a sign hanging from above its front doors which read “Café Solen”. It looked a little shabby on the outside, but as Robyn stopped to peer through the French doors, she noticed that the diners were mostly businessmen attired in suits, probably having some afternoon coffee with some office mates. The café was positioned two blocks away from the city which somehow explained the kinds of customers it served.
“Stop looking and go in Robyn.” Violet said while opening the door to send her forward.
As she stepped inside, Robyn felt her tummy lurch. And when her grandmother informed the waiter of a Mr. Sinclair waiting for them, she couldn’t suppress the urge to puke at that moment. She simply grabbed the gold cross pendant that rounded her neck, and pressed a loving kiss on its surface.
The waiter led them to a private room, which one wouldn’t even assume they had assessing the cafe’s outside appearance. Upon entering the room, two gentlemen stood up, both were wearing grey coats and strangely both were quite old. The other had a mustache below his crooked nose and looked more like a butler than a gentleman, and the other assuming he was the 18 year old Sinclair we’d expected, looked like he’d grown 20 years older in 20 days with a face wrinkled on the sides.
Violet obviously approached a similar conclusion because after scrutinizing the two men she immediately asked the waiter whether they were in the right room.
“I’m quite sure this is the room Mr. Sinclair requested Madame.” The waiter confidently confirmed bowing respectfully at the two gentlemen in grey.
“Ah, I see.” Violet replied with a slightly confused look.
As the gentleman they assumed as Sinclair sensed the misunderstanding both lady’s were having he ventured on explaining.
“Good afternoon Ladies.” He began as he cleared his throat to prepare for his lengthy speech. “We are very sorry to inform you that Mr. Sinclair couldn’t join you this afternoon. His father is sick and he has to attend to him at once. He wishes to postpone this meeting at another time if it is not an inconvenience to you. He is very sorry he is unable to meet you today but is still looking forward to it at a later date. We will simply inform you when he can make it next time.”
Robyn felt her heart crumble.
“All this nervousness for nothing, and I mean nothing! And to think I was in the verge of puking a while ago!” She thought. She actually felt a slight pang of regret upon not meeting the mystery man. She wanted to get things over with but it seemed she will have to endure more of such instances if she’d wanted to accomplish the task.
“Alright, we’ll wait for your call then.” Violet finished as she took Robyn’s hand and left the room adjoining the café.
Terry was still waiting outside when they emerged from the French doors.
“Done already?” He asked
“He didn’t want to meet me” Robyn answered sardonically “and made up some crap of an excuse to escape!”
“His father is sick Robyn,” Violet seriously defended “don’t make fun of someone who shows great responsibility for his parents, these kinds of children are such a rare find you know, your mother used to show me the same care – “
“I know grandmother” Robyn cut in, whenever her grandmother told stories of Robyn’s mom, there was no end to it and Robyn knew that a car ride home with nothing but that wasn’t what could boost up her spirits right now. She’d had a tiring day with nothing to think about but the meeting, and all futile.
“By the way, Can I walk home?” Robyn asked a little too cheerfully betraying the slight hurt she kept bottled inside, “I think I’m gonna need some fresh air to recover from this nerve-racking day”
Normally Violet prohibited Robyn from wandering alone without any chaperone, more so on foot. But the weary look on Robyn’s face told her that she needed to make an exception today.
“Alright, it’s a long walk from here, just be home before sun down and be careful”
“I will! Thank you grandmother!” Robyn said, a smile tugging across her lips
As the car left, Robyn crossed the street. She decided to take a stroll in Graham park in the hopes that maybe some green sceneries can lighten up her mood. The park’s path actually led to a route near her grandmother’s house so it was like shooting two birds at one stone.
There was nothing like the afternoon breeze that complemented the gradually darkening sky of the afternoon. She held her head up looking at the vast blue canvas that covered the earth.
“What’s so special about this day anyway?” She asked herself with a frown while closing her eyes to feel the breeze cross her face.
“Doesn’t it feel great to close your eyes and simply sense everything coming your way without actually seeing it?” An old voice asked.
Robyn jerked her head to the right, and she saw an old man sitting on a bench. He looked very much Chinese with a long beard that explained the years of knowing in his features. As Robyn turned to stare at him he closed his eyes and imitated Robyn’s previous action.
“I – I’m sorry, but what did you mean by what you said just now?”
The old man spoke but didn’t move, eyes closed, nose pointing towards the sky.
“You sounded troubled a while ago, you were just asking about what was so special about this day, you closed your eyes and looked up like this, so I ask you, can you feel it?”
“Feel what?” Robyn asked confused at the old man’s words and questions.
“That this day is actually special, because the breeze you felt sweeping through your face is different from yesterday’s.”
“I’m afraid I don’t understand what your saying sir.” Robyn sighed at her lack of comprehension.
“Mind sitting with me child?” The old man patted the vacant seat right beside him.
Robyn seated herself and gave the old man a quizzical look.
The old man laughed, “I don’t know what hell you’ve went through today, but whatever it is, it surely isn’t worth sulking over. Some people take months to understand what’s so special about one simple day and end up regretting they’d ever let such a day pass without savoring every moment that passed on that very same day. You could even say they worked a month just to understand the meaning of a single day.”
“I’m really sorry old man, but I’m afraid I can’t really grasp what your telling me.”
“Let’s go back to what I said about closing one’s eyes shall we?” the old man broached with a wide grin that made his small chinky eyes look a lot smaller. He then continued. “When you close your eyes what do you see?”
“uhm.. black… darkness?”
The old man laughed. “No! What do you do when you shut your eyes?”
Robyn didn’t know what to say and her countenance showed every bit of confusion she felt.
“You imagine my dear, imagine. And what do you imagine?”
“uhm... All sorts of things I guess” Robyn answered, for some reason she couldn’t comprehend, she felt drawn to this old man and his strange questions.
“Exactly, are the things you imagine during the day the same as the ones you imagine at night when you sleep?
“No!” Robyn said, “at night you have dreams, which is totally different from what you think about during the day!”
“What makes you so sure of that? I always believed that people have dreams to better understand their lives. Some people dream of the past, others the future, yet some others simply dream of instances that can warn them of the future or better yet make them change the future. Imaginations are no different, some people can imagine what might happened in the future and end up getting exactly that.”
“Why are you telling me this old man?” Robyn eyed the old man with a questioning interest.
“It’s just a thought my dear, you know old people like us think of all sorts of things!” The old man joked. “You better ran along now and go home, its getting quite late!”
“Oh my God,” Robyn gasped after glancing at her watch. “Grandmother will kill me, I should’ve been back by five, but its already six! I better get going sir, it was nice chatting with you, I still couldn’t understand much but it turned out to be a good afternoon after all! Thank you!”
“Your welcome my child!” the old man’s voice trailed as Robyn ran along the path waving her hand to say goodbye, and as she disappeared near the sidewalk covered by the cement wall that served the main exit of the park, the old man grinned, “Good luck Robyn!”

Robyn was running at full speed afraid that her grandmother might reprimand her for getting home so late. It was already dark and the street lamps were slowly lighting up the sidewalks. At one of those lamp posts, Robyn took a short break to regain some strength. Still panting heavily, she spotted a house she recognized was near her place and crossed the street impulsively oblivious to the green traffic light that had just enabled the cars to move with haste. As she stood on the middle of the road, a bright yellow light blinded her vision, she stared at its direction hoping to get a glimpse of what it was. Suddenly, a flashback of her dream swept her mind – the yellow taxi that carried her parents to their graves. But now it was different, a yellow taxi was not carrying anyone to just any grave. It was sending herself to hers. An ear-piercing honk accompanied the blinding flash until her vision went stark black as silence dominated.

© Copyright 2006 peach_juice (mye_chung at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1103102-Half-life