*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1103434-Willow-Dreamer
Rated: E · Short Story · Nature · #1103434
Under the out reaching gentle willows branch, the quite forest pool ripples at his touch.
This is a very old peace, but still it is one of my personal favroites; I hope you enjoy it.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
His eyes starred back at him through murky water. He stood watching them: anticipation, worry, excitement filled his every conscious thought.
He stretched his hands out in front of him and jumped down into the water below.
Clouds of murky water rushed past his head till reeds filled his fingers and he kissed the muddy lake bottom.
Then he kicked off the bottom and flew towards the sun. He emerged and breathed deeply the clear air as he watched the green trees around him sway in the winds of spring.
In he breathed and held it in his lungs as he gently submerged once again. A trail of bubbles followed him as he swam completely alone in the secret pond, his favorite place to relax in the sunshine.
Staring up at the blue sky from murky water, he floated on his back trying not to think about the world outside the green wood around him. “Is it worth going back?” The trees around him gently whispered in their soft voices.
“No it isn’t.” He thought as he waded back to shore. “I wonder if I could live out here alone, it would be so nice if only I could.”
His mind slipped into slumber as he lay under the arms of a great willow, who had seen all that had seen the pool of half clear water that lay at its roots; every bird and every beast who thirsty or hot that sought the comfort of the water but never before had she seen one like the thing that now slept beneath her light green hair, for he was the first man to touch the little lake and the only one who loved it as much as she.
He rolled uncomfortably as his mind drew into dreams. The willow watched as dreams passed by his eyes. In them he was standing on a tall building dressed in fine clothes. He stood on the edge of the building peering out over all the lands his eyes could find and he thought why not jump. Then, he saw his favorite swimming hole, and longed to be there in its waters floating softly like a leaf. So he stepped forward to walk toward it, but he fell off the building.
Down, down he went without stop. A bird passed by him and he yelled out for help but the bird simply said “we all have to die some time” So, he grabbed the bird and commanded it to fly to the pond, but it wiggled free of his grip, and he began to fall again down, down, down to the rocks below. He shut his eyes and waited for the end to come, but it would not come. So he opened his eyes and saw that there was nothing at all, but a great willow tree that loomed up before him like the sky. He asked it did you save me, then his eyes opened and he was no longer in the dream.
He looked around himself and saw standing at his feet a great stag with two graceful does at either side; they where the first living things he had ever seen by the waters. Then he heard the trees whispering around him “welcome you are now us, and we are now you; we are now and forever the lake.”

© Copyright 2006 Skirnir (skirnir at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1103434-Willow-Dreamer