*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1106159-Prairie-Fire
Rated: E · Poetry · Environment · #1106159
Written for a contest I didn't want to enter.
I am the one who has come to Nebraska to try my hand at taming this land. I stand on the hill to survey my domain.

I am the one who looks to the horizon. A black wall stretches across the sky, moving ever closer to my land.

I am the one who fights with the land. I dig through the grass sod, not willing to relinquish my land to the fire, desperate for a fire break.

I am the one who runs to the river my wife. Our animals run across the river, released from barns, pens and coops.

I am the one who restrains my wife as our home begins to burn. I hold her while she cries and watch our possessions, memories, life crumble in ashes.

I am the one who staggers out of the river to the burnt shell of my house. I sink to my knees while my wife searches for bits of our past.

I am the one who stands on the hill, looking at Nebraska. I can see the steady heart of the land, the steady beat beyond our control, beyond us, beyond time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please, You've gotten this far. Rate and Review.
© Copyright 2006 Grace Jackson (seawitch888 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1106159-Prairie-Fire