*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1106613-Untitled-as-of-now
by Rissa
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #1106613
This is a story I started working on about a young twenty yo woman
A young twenty something woman awoke suddenly from a nightmare. She sat bolt upright, her blankets falling away. She realized she was sweating and got up to open the window. Her tall, thin figure cast a shadow from the moonlight, and her long brown hair blew back in the gentle breeze. She laid her head against the window frame and looked out. The street below was dimly lit by the streetlamps, covered in dirt. The feeble light lit up the few, older model cars which lined the street below. She stretched and yawned, finally casting a glance at the clock and sighed. “3 in the morning,” she sighed and shook her head, “Mischa, you really need to get a hold of yourself.”
She left her small bedroom and took the short walk to her tiny kitchen to drink a glass of water. After she finished, she reached out and took the small pile of bills sitting on her table and finally looked at them. 4 of the 5 were past due, while the one was quickly approaching the due date. She sighed softly and opened them, and quickly find that she didn’t have enough money to cover any of them, rent included. She threw them back on the dingy table and ran her fingers threw her hair in frustration. “I really need to find a job and quick” she murmured to herself. A college graduate with a degree in history, she hadn’t quite found the job of her life, or, for that matter, a job at all.
She pushed herself out of her chair and went back to bed, where she laid and pondered how to come up with the money for her bills, and fell into a light sleep.

The next day, she woke up with a start to the sounds of a car backfiring outside of her window. She looked at the clock, which told her it was close to 11 am. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and got out of bed. After doing some quick exercises, she undressed and got into the shower. After a through washing, she got out and dressed. As she was applying her makeup, her cell phone began to ring. She sprinted lightly across the floor to pick it up, and saw her best friend, Ashley’s number on the screen. “Hey girl, what’s up?” Mischa greeted her. “Oh you know, same old same old,” Ashley replied. They talked for a while, and made plans to meet up for lunch in a few hours. “Oh,” Ashley said before they got off the phone, “You must tell me about this new boy you’ve been having some fun with…”

Mischa finished getting ready, and retrieved the newspaper from the front door to her apartment. She found the classifieds and started searching for a job. Her blue eyes lightened up when she saw a job for a historian at the local museum, and quickly cut out the ad and placed it on her refrigerator door.
With a smile on her face, she put some coffee on, and turned the tv on while she waited for it to brew. She flipped through the channels, eventually stopping on the local news. She had a fondness for current events, and she listened to what was going on while she got her cup of coffee.
The newscaster was telling her all the events of the door when there was a knock on her door. She went and peered through the peep hole, and smiled broadly as she swung open the door to reveal a young man of about 23, with shaggy blond hair and a handsome face. Trying to act casual, she greeted him with a friendly hello. “Hey Mischa, how’s it going hunny?” he said, a big smile brightening up his entire face. “Not too bad, Jacob, and yourself?” “Well, I definitely could be better, but hey, not much I can complain about, eh? I still have this roof over my head (though it is quite leaky…)” Mischa laughed lightly, and moved back to let him in the apartment fully.
She offered him a cup of coffee, which he graciously accepted. As she got the coffee for him, he sat down at the small kitchen table and turned his attention to the television. The reporter has just gotten to the topic of a recent war, which Mischa looked over at as she gave Jacob his coffee. She shook her head and rolled her eyes. “Honestly, what are we doing? We think we’re so great and powerful, and look around us. Our government has the military fighting a war we don’t need to be in, instead of spending money insuring those of us who paid for a college education would at least be guaranteed a job and a semi-decent apartment, instead of this dumb, where I don’t even have enough money to pay my bills.” She took a drink of her coffee as Jacob nodded in agreement. “I hear you, babe, but there’s not much we can do about it right now.” To her surprise, he reached across the table and gave her hand a quick squeeze. “You’ll get out of here eventually, I promise. I see it in you, you’re fantastic.” He smiled at her and let go of her hand, much to her disappointment.
After they finished their coffee, Mischa washed out the cups and left them out to dry while Jacob settled himself on her couch to watch tv. She heard him changing channels until he made a sound of excitement. “This is my favorite movie, ever!!” he said animatedly. She sat down next to him and saw that it was a fairly recent action movie that she had heard good reviews of. She began watching it with him, eventually snuggling up against him, with his arm around her waist, keeping her close. At one point, he looked at her and smiled. “I really didn’t think you were interested in me,” he said, with a sly look in his eyes and a playful smile. “Well, you never can tell with me. I still may not be, you don’t know that,” she replied, with a smile to let him know she was joking with him. He took a breath to respond when her phone rang. She got up to answer and gasped when she saw it was Ashley. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry Ash!” She heard her friend laughing on the other end, “You know, you better have a good excuse for standing me up.” Mischa apologized again, and promised to meet her at their favorite restaurant in 20 minutes.
© Copyright 2006 Rissa (rissadiane at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1106613-Untitled-as-of-now