*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1107393-Hungry
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1107393
Sometimes, being greedy is a self-beneficial thing.
I stood there in line waiting for my turn. It was so far back, but the craving for a tuna sandwich convinced my body to muster up the patience. The employees were working as fast as they could while trying to keep friendly conversation with their customer. One poor employee was darting his head up and down while his hands moved impetuously around him grabbing condiments and sandwich meat that lay in front of him. Yet, despite the chaos and the noise of the many customers still waiting in line for service, he smiled the familiar smile of joy. This place was popular; the long line was proof of that. Even though the place was busy, the constant arrival of customers must bring in substantial revenue (Which explains the smiling.).

I was the last person in line, which was no surprise with the place about to close in about half an hour. My stomach seems to grumble more intensely every time a satisfied customer walked out with a sandwich in his hand. It had to be my turn soon. The line wasn’t moving that much, but I had to be getting close. At times I found my hand unconsciously holding my stomach, trying to suppress the loud grumbling. My forehead grew moist with sweat as my need for food started to grow desperate. Finally, there it was. I was only three customers away from being served.

A sudden nudge threw my right shoulder forward. “Oh, I’m so sorry.”

Her eyes were a bright brown, which made her face even more beautiful. Her cheeks looked smooth, while her lips were glossy, but still possessed that natural peach color.
“It’s cool.” That’s all I had to say? That was the most pathetic thing I could say.
“You look familiar.” I had to say something, because she did look familiar.

A smile lit her face. I wanted to just grab her and hug her. That smile made her even more beautiful.
“You do too.” She answered with a glisten in her eyes.

What else am I supposed to say? I had nothing else that I could say. I turned around and looked at the employee as his signature smile struck his face.

“Can I just get a tuna sandwich with lettuce?” I ordered with relief as I was going to answer the call of my stomach.

“Oh man. That’s what I was going to order.” The beautiful girl behind me said delightfully and innocently.

“Well, I only have enough tuna for one more sandwich.” The employee first focused his attention on me which made me turn my head to look at the beautiful girl.

The smile left her face. I forced a smile on my face.

“Man, that’s too bad. Well, you can have it.” Her smile reappeared.

I lifted up my wrist to look at my watch, pretending it was important.

“Man, I have to go anyway. But I love your place.” I looked at the employee as I made my way towards the door.

He turned his attention to the girl. As I opened the door, I thought I could hear her voice telling me to wait. It could’ve been just my hunger playing with my mind. I waited so long for that tuna sandwich. That tuna sandwich was no longer mine. My eyes began to water. I really want that tuna sandwich.
"You can have it." Looking at it selfishly, it was one of the things I wish I didn’t say.
© Copyright 2006 My asian friend (khlomk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1107393-Hungry