*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1109017-Churchman--Soldier
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Fiction · Other · #1109017
A Cardinal dons his armor and joins the action in the Robotech Campaigns
INTRODUCTION :

Among the ranks of the ROBOTECH EXPEDITIO-NARY FORCE (REF) are a number of elite units which bear the signatures of the commanders who brought them into being. The more well-known are the SKULL SQUADRON, the WOLFF PACK, and the GHOST RIDERS. Each of them were raised, or adopted by the officers who organized or bestowed their patronage upon them. These units took on various adversaries encountered along the way, and earned fame (and a bit of notoriety)as part of the humans' attempt to meet the Robotech Masters, who, incidentally, were on their way to our Earth.

However, if you would take a closer look, you would notice a rather unusual outfit deployed among the REF in an assortment of missions and tasks. On the outside, its only oddity would be attributed the combination of equipment and mecha it uses. However, a deeper look will reveal something that causes even the most nonchalant of the REF heirarchy to do a double-take or wink like owls in astonishment : this particular unit is led by a Jesuit Cardinal, at a time when everybody thought that it could only happen in the novels of Alexandre Dumas.


REGIMENT "DIES IRAE"

This is an REF mobile cavalry regiment that deployed Veritech Hovertanks, VAF-6C Alpha and VBF-1A Beta Transformable Veritech Fighters, as well as the Cyclone transformable bikes. In its ranks are approximately 1,000 members divided among four Combat Squadrons, a Support Squadron, a Recce Unit, and a Headquarters Squadron.

The unit had begun its existence during the First Robotech War as a Veritech fighter squadron, led by (Lt.Col.) Monsignor Cesare Alessandro Guadi, SJ. After the desruction of the SDF-1 and SDF-2, and the improvements in ROBOTECHNOLOGY, as well as the development of newer mecha and equipment, the squadron was upgraded and increased to a full regiment.

When they embarked on the battle cruiser "HEART OF GOLD", all 1,000 personnel slots were filled, and its full complement of 120 Hovertanks, 120 Alpha Fighters, 90 Beta Fighters, and 900 Cyclone Bikes were loaded.
(Col.) Cesare Alessandro Cardinal Guadi went aboard with his staff after the last trooper and vehicles was loaded.

"His Eminence, the cardinal, is aboard ..."
the adjutant spoke on the intercom, "All hands prepare for launch sequence ..."






© Copyright 2006 Carl Agustin-Bea (cl_furball at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1109017-Churchman--Soldier