*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1109822-Blogging-Grievances
Rated: E · Article · Writing.Com · #1109822
Written for a contest.
BLOG GRIEVANCES


Now you know I’m not normally one to complain *Wink* and far be it from me to tell others how to write a blog, but there are some things which I have to confess get right up my nose. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule and I’m the first to admit I may be guilty of my own criticisms at times. But my point is, in these observations, if you continually commit the following crimes, I for one will wave goodbye to your blog.

1. Personal remarks or condemnation of other bloggers is something I think should be avoided. (Except during duck wars and between certain Texans and Yankees) Healthy debates and looking at problems from different angles are fine and often interesting, but snide remarks or direct negative references to another person’s character or beliefs I do not find acceptable. The same applies to unsavoury vocabulary and lack of regard for grammar and punctuation. (As I said, there ARE exceptions) I can accept the occasional curse for emphasis, or forgive the odd typo and grammatical error, but do it in every entry and it’s curtains, as far as I’m concerned. (One case excepted)


2. The same applies to self indulgency. Okay, our blogs are mainly about ourselves, our lives and what makes us tick and I know some of my entries are very self-centred, but too much ‘woe is me’ and ‘there’s no sorrow like my sorrow’ will drive readers away in my opinion. Sympathy and compassion, like elastic in undersized knickers, will only stretch so far, particularly if the blogger makes no attempt to read, respond or interact with other bloggers. Risk wallowing in your own self-pity at your peril; we all have problems but sharing with others, walking in their shoes and trying to retain a sense of humour are much more likely to attract readers than living in an introspective cocoon.


3. Over-lengthy entries tend to be a turn off for me, but maybe I’m just a bear of very little brain with a butterfly attention span. If they are hilariously funny or tell of a dramatic event, fair enough, but if every entry takes half the morning to read, I won’t be sticking around. There is a place for long involved stories and recollections from the past, but for me it’s not the blog. I like to read what’s happening NOW in people’s lives as well as reading about their background and memories. Snappy sentences, no wasted words and no lengthy descriptions in blogs appeals to me, although I realise it’s a case of personal preference. Sometimes one short sentence can say more than a million flowery words.


4. I'm not too keen when people plug their own work in their blogs too often. Maybe this is my fault because I find those requests difficult to ignore and sometimes find myself bogged down with reviewing instead of doing what I set out to do. If you’re a good writer, people will want to explore your folder and read more of your work. Blogs don’t come with advertising space in my humble opinion. Now and again is fine, particularly if you’re entering a competition or something, but keep on plugging your own stuff and I’m likely to leave your blog to others.

5. And lastly, anyone who makes a list for any reason in their blog, then goes over the number five has committed the ultimate sin in my eyes. LOL For one thing it’s proof you’ve never read my blog, so I’ll be childish and peevish and won’t read yours. Na na na na na.

WORD COUNT 602

© Copyright 2006 Scarlett (scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1109822-Blogging-Grievances