*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1110417-State-Volleyball
Rated: 13+ · Other · Sports · #1110417
My experience at State Volleyball 2005.
State Volleyball
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Saturday, November 12, 2005
Everything was black, and I did not know where I was for a moment. Then, I shot straight up out of the rough, hotel sheets and stared at the white blank wall and realized that today was the last game of volleyball I would play for this season. It was all or nothing, the 3A State Championship game. My thoughts were interrupted from the repeated banging that came from our door. I got out of bed and met other players at the door who had come to get us for some morning stretches in the hallway. Terhark decided to do this in order to wake up and get loose for the big game. After we were fully awake, we went back into our rooms to get ready. The game was still many hours away, but we had to look good because it was going to be broadcasted on the television. I jumped into the shower and let the water run down me as nervous thoughts ran through my mind. Eventually I got out and dressed myself into our black uniforms. As I did my hair, I saw people filing into our room from the reflection of the mirror. Some girls decided to share Alpachino’s speech, Speech With Inches to the rest of the team. As I added a final touch to my hair, I turned around to see the expressions on everyone’s faces as they listen to the speech. I saw the same expressions from each girl. Tears rolled down the faces of high school volleyball players who had dared to dream great things, and the speech reflected on this. The tape finished up and everyone gave hugs to each other. We wiped our eyes, put on our black volleyball jackets with reflector sleeves, and walked to the elevator with our belongings and pressed the down arrow.


The ride was a long and anxious one down. We all walked out and stepped outside into the brisk air. We walked to the nearby pass gate to the U.S. Cellular Center. We stepped inside and were greeted by workers who escorted us to our locker room. We dropped our stuff off and came back out to snoop around and get a feel for things. By then, we saw a few people shuffling in to find some good seats. We posed by the court while they took pictures from high up. The time was growing closer, and it was time to notch things up.
We all got in a big huddle behind the court floor bleachers. As we cheered on, our echoes carried throughout the wide, long hallway. Then, we walked down the hallway to meet the other team to go over rules, good sportsmanship, and how they would introduce us. Unlike Dubuque Walhert, we met them with smiles just because we were so glad to be here. In return, cold, empty eyes looked us over. Even their coach stood there with her arms crossed stiffly over her chest. As the director finished his instructions, we took our opposite sides to prepare to run out for the game of our lives. As we gathered together one last time, I could sense the excitement, nervousness, and competition that lay in each girl that stood before me. I looked at every girl with her black sweatband and jacket and realized we were a team, and this would be the last game I would play with them for the 2005 season.
Next thing I knew, we were circling around on the court giving each other fives. As I looked up I saw faces surrounding me everywhere. I felt like a hamster in a cage with people watching me from the outside. These people were my friends and family who came to watch the Algona Girls’ Volleyball Team. Camera flashes kept catching

my eye as if I were a fish spotting a lure. Sports broadcasters flooded the area, for there was a video camera constantly following your every move, so I made sure to not pick my wedgies. After warming up, it was time to play.
Both teams lined up to be introduced. With the lights turned down in the building, I ran out with a spotlight following me. It was the most exhilarating experience of my life because all eyes were on me. I don’t even really remember it, except that I stuck both hands in the air and waved to people I didn’t see but heard. Then I ran over to grab Stacey’s hand and soon Hanna joined my other side. The National Anthem boomed through my ears as my heart pounded, and my hands became wet. Fireworks exploded in front of us as the flag rose to its highest point, and when the song finished, it was time to play. We threw our hands up and ran over to the bench. We huddled around and received one last pep talk. We ended it with a chant, stepped out onto the floor, and gave a few more fives. We finally took our positions, and the official asked if we were ready. At that moment, I looked up at the screaming bodies, and then faced the tough competition that lay ahead, over to the bench, and then back to the official as I nodded my head. In the next second, he blew his whistle and waved his arm, which signified that the 3A State Championship Game had begun.

© Copyright 2006 whitney (mills at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1110417-State-Volleyball