*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1111127-Lost-Dreams
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1111127
“I’m going to disappoint you. But you knew that already.”
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction on 5/26/06. Prompt: Must use these words in the story. I’m going to disappoint you. But you knew that already.

“Hey, Jeremy. Where have you been? How was your day?”

Jeremy walked by his wife without a word. He looked disheveled and unkempt and Lisa had a sudden feeling that something was wrong. Slowly, she followed Jeremy into the living room.

His tie hung loose around his neck and his hair was a mess, as if he had been running his fingers through it. His sleeves were unbuttoned and rolled up to his elbows. Lisa didn’t like the way he was sitting on the couch either, with his head thrown back and his eyes closed.

Useless tears sprang to her eyes. She wiped her greasy hands on the dishtowel she had slung over one shoulder and then crossed to the couch.

“I was just baking a cake,” she said, trying to be brave. Maybe his news wasn’t as bad as she feared. Jeremy did tend to make a big deal out of nothing. But he didn’t even turn his head to look at her. Suddenly, Lisa decided she needed to sit before her legs stopped supporting her.

“Honey? What is it? What’s wrong?”

He opened his eyes, but kept his gaze on the ceiling. “I’m going to disappoint you. But you knew that already.”

“Have you been drinking?” she asked, thinking she had detected the faint, but unmistakable odor of alcohol on his breath. Jeremy wasn’t much of a drinker, and Lisa frowned.

He turned to her then and Lisa noted his bloodshot eyes, even though he seemed sober enough. He gathered her hands in his. “I lost my job.”

Lisa shook her head in negation. “How can that be? I thought you were up for a promotion!”

“Well, they decided to can me instead!”

“Oh, honey.” More tears welled up. “What are we going to do?”
© Copyright 2006 Destinae (destinae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1111127-Lost-Dreams