*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1112178-The-Night-They-Believed
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1112178
This is a short story writting prompt: A girl gets a new kitten.


The noise was distant, but she could hear the slight scratching noise coming from somewhere inside the house. She opened up her eyes and stifled a yawn as she begrudgingly sat up. She swung her legs over the side of her bed and moved her feet around blindly searching for her slippers. She stumbled out of bed and wandered groggily down the hallway. She shivered briefly as she neared the living room as a chill overwhelmed her tiny body. As she made her way towards the living room, she could hear the scratching noise become louder and clearer. She entered the living room and glanced out the window and saw that it was still dark outside. The Christmas tree was aglow with bright twinkling lights. Someone had forgotten to turn the Christmas lights off again. Mamma would not be happy about that, she thought as she tormented the light switch off. Just then the scratching noise grew very loud and she could hear a slight yowling sound. The sound came from somewhere under the tree. She bent down and nestled her ear closer to the gifts wrapped up tightly under the tree. She followed the sound until she came to a particular package that was located near the back of the tree. The package was rather large and square-shaped. It was wrapped up tight in paper with Jolly Old Saint Nicholas smiling away at her.


Whatever was making the clawing and yowling noise was definitely coming from this package. She glanced down at the nametag and was surprised to see Susie, her own name starring back at her. She almost dropped the package out of shear delight. When this happened she hear a shrieking Meow!
Could it be? No way. Mamma's allergic to cats; she told me I could never have one...


Another clear meow burst out from the package and Susie could not resist ripping opening the package. She ripped every ounce of paper off the package in ten seconds flat as her little hear raced in anticipation. She thrust opens the bare box, just as something jumped out at her. She dropped the empty package in time to see its inhabitants scurrying under the couch. Susie ran to the couch and crouched down to have looked underneath. It was too dark under there for her to see anything, so she felt around blindly until her small fingers grasped something soft and furry. She grasped the small object in her hand and brought it out from under the couch. She was amazed to see a small tiger-stripped kitten starring up at her with beady little wondering eyes. The kitten let out a small meow as Susie sat down on the couch with her and began to stroke her soft fur. The kitten snuggled up in Susie's small arms and purred contently.


Just then, Susie's Mamma turned the corner and entered the dark living room. When Susie's Mamma saw her snuggling the little kitten, a small smile crept in the crevice of her lips. She smiled warmly down at her little girl while she stifled a small sneeze.
"Merry Christmas, Susie." her Mamma said with a twinkle in her eye.
"Merry Christmas, Mamma Look what was left for me under the tree!" Susie said as she continued to streak the kitten's soft fur.
"Wow! Susie, who's the kitten from?" Her Momma asked as she picked up the empty package with wonderment in her eyes.
"I don't know Mama. I didn't check the box. I was too excited to get it open." Susie said with excitement in her voice.
Susie's Mamma turned the empty box around and noticed that there were small round holes punctured in the box. She then saw to her astonishment as she searched the discarded wrapping paper, that the package had said the following.
TO: Susie
Merry Christmas!
FROM: SANTA.
She hadn't gotten Susie as kitten and marked it from Santa. She also couldn't think of anyone else in the family that would have gotten Susie a kitten because they all knew that she was allergic to cats.... Just then Susie's Mama was brought back to reality when a small gift-wrapped package was thrust into her lap.
"Here, Mama. It looks like Santa Clause got you a present too." Susie said as her Mamma starred wide-eyed at the gift tag that did indeed say from Santa. As Susie's Mamma tore open her gift, she smiled warmly when she pulled out the small pill container that contained allergy medicine.


© Copyright 2006 dreamer (UN: cbrown at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
dreamer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.

© Copyright 2006 dreamer (cbrown at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1112178-The-Night-They-Believed