*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1112235-The-Books-I-Worship
Rated: ASR · Other · Other · #1112235
The books that have influenced my life and my writing.
It is about time that I give a shout out to all of the writing I have loved immensely and the authors who have impacted my writing and my drive to write. I will start at the very beginning of my literary venture.

Aesops Fables-- This one is a classic and I don't think I need say more.

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame-- The poetic language of nature made me fall in love with words and print at a very early age.

The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew) by Carolyn Keene. -- Even though I didn't pick up on the cultural significance (of the era it was written) of this book when I first read it at seven years old, I wanted to be a writer the moment I closed its cover. I have since read many, many other books in the Nancy Drew series. The Secret of the Old Clock is also a favorite of mine.

The Lorax and Oh,The Places You'll Go! by (who else?) Dr. Seuss--Thank you for speaking to children with a tone of political relevance.

Time Windows by Kathryn Reiss -- This book remained one of my all time favorites through middle school. Oh how I wished my dollhouse carried the same magic.

Foxfire by Joyce Carol Oates-- I read this book the summer before high school and then many times after. I return to it again and again when I am feeling nostalgic or I need a jolt of the feminine mystique and power. Joyce Carol Oates has since become one of my favorite writers. Foxfire remains my favorite work of hers at present.

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger -- I read this my junior year in high school and it was one of the only books I read, throughout high school, that I could not put down. Holden was my hero with all his complexity and contradiction.

White Oleander by Janet Fitch-- This book was a seed of inspiration for many months after I read it. The short story I have posted "Ophelia’s Daisies" was my first short story and was inspired by this beautiful novel. It is a shame that this book got so jumbled in the film version.

Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs-- This book added a whole new layer to my way of thinking (no, I don't mean that kind of layer). Although grotesque, it has profound cultural criticism which spoke to me in a way that no other piece of writing had before.

Letter from Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King Jr. -- "Perhaps the world is in dire need of creative extremists." !!!!!!!! This piece was influential beyond my own words. It speaks for itself.

The Faith of a Writer: Life, Craft, Art by Joyce Carol Oates-- This book also inspired me to write, write, write.

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey--This book lit a match in a part of my brain that was still just a spark. This one speaks for itself as well. (as much of these books do)

Collages and House of Incest by Anais Nin-- I don't think these books are given enough credit. Especially House of Incest, it is a genre all in itself. Nin's work has encouraged me to experiment with my writing, but also be true to myself. She is also one of my favorite authors.

Little Birds and Delta of Venus by Anais Nin-- The erotica of Anais Nin, in my opinion, has as much cultural significance to the feminist movement as does her fiction which she wrote to promote the understanding of the female state of mind and being.

Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch by Henry Miller-- From Anais Nin I found Henry Miller. Miller has become one of my favorite authors for his unique and uncensored writing style. Miller sees beauty in things where beauty is not usually apparent. His love of life is a contagious virus transmitted through his words.

120 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature by Nicholas J. Karol ides--This book demonstrates that many great minds are not "like" minds, and that many banned books have been very, very influential pieces of literature. Several of the books I have listed can be found in this collection. Recognizing the beautiful ideas that were not accepted by society is very inspiring to me as a writer. This book reminds me to always write without abandon.

Literary Magazines (all of them) -- What an inspiring phenomenon in the history of literature for all writers! I give a shout out to everyone who has ever read, bought, submitted work, founded, edited, produced, published, or been published in a literary magazine, whether it is paper or digital.

I know I may have forgotten some and I will add what I am missing in the future. But these are many of the books that resonate in my life and my writing. I love reading and I read all of the time, so, if you have any favorites that I haven't mentioned I would love to hear what they are.


Scarlett









© Copyright 2006 washedout (ecarlatestar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1112235-The-Books-I-Worship