*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1112849-Hang-on-Heavy-Heart
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1112849
Evan&Lissy had a friendship that scared people but what if the friend was all he had left

Evan and Lissy have a friendship that scares people. Lucas and Mackenzie were doomed from the start. But what if this friendship, was all you had left?

Hang on Heavy Heart

“Evan?” Lissy’s blue sun dress slipped from her shoulders as she pulled her blonde locks to one side of her face. Her silver bracelets clicked, as the music in the background got softer. Her shoes lay on the carpet next to her bed. She was now sitting cross-legged upon the floral comforter, her back against the pillows. Her balcony window held the sun, its orange and red colors fading into blue. It would soon be dark, “Do you have to leave?”
Evan sighed. He leaned back, holding himself up with his hands. His shoes were next to Lissy’s and his sun stained hair hung in his eyes. “I can’t stay here.”
“I know, but, I want you to stay here.”
“Lissy I can’t.”
“I’d like to come with you then.” Lissy’s room was illuminated with only a sweet vanilla candle. The walls quite bare, the curtains not yet drawn.
“You can’t.”
“I want too.”
“You can’t always get what you want.” Evan shrugged his jacket off. Their sentences ran into each other, their words never rising above a whisper. Their demands were state without eagerness or anger, with Lissy’s sweet eyes burning through each protective wall until she reached Evan’s soul.
It was a slow process; one in which she began the moment they exchanged names. Thinking it would keep her occupied for the next few days, hours or minutes. Needless to say Lissy’s never ending game was a part of her Evan helped her wash away. It was balancing act. Lissy’s flaws were Evan’s strong points. Her opinionated mind aided Evan’s lack of communication. His views on life were able to change Lissy’s naïve outlook. It was a friendship their hung over the since their first awkward moment of silence. Neither was expecting it, neither wanted it, but both could agree that it was exactly what they needed.
Lissy’s plan for romance budded as a physical attraction. As their souls began to mingle, and mend on another, the romantic outlook Lissy had on Evan dissolved into a friendly love. Evan’s interest in Lissy had been strictly physical, and after their only physical encounter Evan and Lissy’s words started to become more important than their loveless kisses.
The night continued on, whether Lissy wanted it to or not. The sun had completely drowned. Evan stood closing the curtains. His feet still bare and his black shirt rolled up at the sleeves. Lissy’s curls were invading her face. Her mind quite clear of thoughts that made sense; she didn’t have the guts to meet eyes with Evan. So she let them rest upon her mirror across the room. They welcomed the silence like they’d welcome a kiss. Both were new, for each other, and both were highly unlikely. Yet still, as the clocked ticked, the thoughts in Lissy’s head faded. Evan’s Lissy-proof walls were starting to cave and the silence was growing louder.
“Do you think if we never met things would be different? I mean, do you think you’d still have to go if we never met? Or, is it fate? Maybe you’re fated to leave this place. Maybe, we messed things up. Maybe we weren’t supposed to meet in the first place.” It was finally evident that Lissy had wanted to cry and that before the night was over her lovely face would not be clear of tears.
“It doesn’t matter the words you say Lissy. It’s over and done with.” Evan shook his hair out of his eyes a she untied the last string releasing the curtains to hide the moon.
“That’s all I have Evan, all I have are words! I don’t know what else to do. I want to help you!”
“Alyssa, help yourself, and just don’t do anything. The consequences are for me to face alone. It doesn’t matter how persuasive or emotional my words are. In the end, the evidence of my actions will get me and I don’t want you to be a part of it. You did nothing wrong.” In the time it took Evan to make his way over to Lissy, her eyes were already misty. The tears caught behind her words. Evan placed a hand on her cheek kneeling down in front of her. Lissy closed her ocean orbs. It was a simple gesture that caused tears to fall from both friends. “Just be there for me when I need you. That’s all you can do for me. Can you do that?”
“Mmhmm,” Her head nodded slowly. He stayed kneeled in front of her, his hands softly caressing her cheek. If any others had witnessed the subtle action they would have called it one of Evan and Lissy’s “moments”. And that was that.
Downstairs Lissy’s father could be seen in his arm chair, his slippers kicked off and his not so hot coffee untouched beside him. Her mother, either in the kitchen or the office a pencil placed strategically in her dusty gray bun. Her thick rimmed glasses were either on her nose or around her neck and she was constantly smiling; constantly on her feet. She felt comfortable only when she had something to do. She busied her self with pointless activities taking on to her plate more than she could handle and offering to take on more before she finished with the old. Lissy’s father was the complete opposite, but Lissy suspected the differences brought her parents closer. If that didn’t do it, her little sister certainly would.
The family’s little one had high hopes with fingers to short to grasp them. Yet with a small boost from her family the little one could be or do anything. All parents say that to their children but Karina believed them, whole-heartedly. Karina was destined for greatness and as much as Lissy tried to deny it, her little one would be more than she could have ever been.
Karina was born in early September right as Lissy’s last year of elementary school jitters began to set it. She kept her straight blonde hair in a long braid falling down her back. Her lids sprinkled with a nice amount of glitter and her favorite companion stuffed in her little pink back-pack. Karina, at nine years old, was the princess of the house and she would have it no other way. It seemed the moment she learned how to speak, commands just shot out of her mouth. She had Lissy’s ocean eyes but the only other quality the sisters shared was their last name. Lissy, still, had trouble admitting to that. To put it simplest Lissy wasn’t fond of Karina and Evan enjoyed rubbing it in her face.
Evan got along perfectly with Karina. It made Lissy angry and it made Evan talk to little one even more. When he first met her, she was five years old and had a crush on him. Lissy hated it; Evan loved it because she hated it. The list of things Lissy hated about Evan could go on for hours but the list of things she hated about Karina well, that could go on for days. Carrying a hate for your sister, especially a younger one, it weighs down on you like your dragging weights from your ankles. For some reason the weights won’t rust away or become unattached. A sister is always around, especially Karina, always attached to Lissy’s ankle. As she grew older more and more weights attached them to her ankle, and she was due to explode.
“Where are you going to go?”
“Anywhere but here,”
“Anywhere but here,” She repeated it in her mind as it slowly soaked her brain. “Will I see you again?” She rested her hand son her lap, shaking curls out of her eyes. A lullaby was building in the background, the stars hidden behind the curtains recently drawn.
Evan picked up Lissy’s diary from the bedside table. Its spine was covered in patterns of words its cover in pieces of ribbons and jewel drops. He ran a finger down its spine and raised his gaze. A feeling swept over him; the feeling had already found its way to Lissy’s heart and it finally swept over Evan also. Though their connected was deeper then blood, lingering in their hearts, no one ever said it could be there forever. No one knows if it could withstand time. Maybe not seeing each other all the time could cause them to drift apart. Even though they might be the thing their minds are constantly thinking about maybe their hearts are slowly letting in someone else. Maybe it wasn’t fate. Maybe Lissy was right. Maybe they weren’t supposed to meet in the first place.
“What would you do, if I told you, you were lovely?” This was the last song she wanted to hear right now.
“Cry.”
“I’ll write to you,”
“…and call me?”
“I can’t risk it Lissy, I don’t know, maybe.” He flipped through the pages and stopped near the middle. “New entry?” He climbed onto her bed, leaning back against the pink pillows. He stretched his body out on the floral comforter. He held the diary in both his hands and Lissy smoothed her sun dress down as she leaned a bit closer to him. “How should we start off?”
“Anyway is fine.” Lissy closed her eyes and folded her arms across her stomach.
“What if this is my last entry? Don’t you want it to be somewhat, special?” He picked up a pen from beside him and scribbled in the date.
“Don’t think that way; it’s not your last one.”
“It could be.”
“No, it couldn’t.”
“How can you be so sure?”
“I just am!” Lissy turned the other way so her back was to Evan. Light shown from under her dark door signaling they weren’t the only ones awake in the house. The music was still playing in the back round, the lyrics to soft to understand. The clock numbers were glowing, it was getting later. The next day would start a whole new chain of events but for now the friends just relaxed, trying to treasure each other’s company to last a lifetime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the scent of french fries that drew him in but it was Mackenzie’s smile that made him stay. There was nothing special about the restaurant. The windows were small. The curtains a plain green matching the throw up walls. Sea creatures lined a few walls, all with big smiling faces greeting everyone. The tables were never completely clean and the service was always slow. But it smelled nice, and the people were nice. That was enough for Lucas.
Lucas stepped out of the black truck and slammed the door closed with such power he disturbed the people snacking outside. The sun was shining, and his glossy blonde hair lit up like stars against the sky. He took a pair of sunglasses out of his pocket, black aviators, and placed them over his precious brown eyes. There was something about the way he was dressed today. Or maybe it was the lazy expression on his face. His arms seemed to hang looser then usual. His mouth not as tight, his shoulders standing tall. When he walked into the restaurant everyone seemed to notice him. Standing at about 6’3 people were bound to notice him but he never had commanded a room like this before. He shrugged off his blazer and sat himself down in a booth wearing ratty old jeans and a nice tight black shirt. His diamond tear necklace hung off his neck matching the new sparkle he has in his eyes. Even though you couldn’t’ see the sparkle, his confidence showed everyone, there was definitely something about Lucas.
“Welcome to Raja’s can I take your order Sir?” The voice was sweet, but the sweetness seemed a little first. Lucas let his sunglasses fall of his nose as he glanced her up and down. She wore heels, black pants and a green shirt, matching the curtains. Her hair was almost shoulder length and dark. When he reached her face his face began to frown. It seemed she’d been checking him out as well because before he could say anything she’d already thrown her order pad down on his table. “Lucas?” She sighed deeply. “Lucas, what are you doing here?”
“I’m hungry.” He answered calmly placed his hands behind his head stretching.
“Can’t you go somewhere else? You’re not wanted here.”
“You can’t kick me out, you have no such authority. Not here, not anywhere but school. And that hell is over ma’am so don’t tell me where I can and cannot go.” He let out a smile. What an accomplishment.
She smiled back at him. “Don’t call me ma’am you sound retarded.”
“Well then, I’ll have some large french fries and a coke.”
“Is that all?”
“No, but I’m sure what I’m thinking about isn’t on the menu.” He licked his lips, her smile faded.
“That’s disgusting Lucas, it’s not even funny.”
“I didn’t mean to be funny…”
“Ew I fucking hate you so much sometimes.” She picked up her pad of paper and got the pencil from behind her ear scribbling down his order.
“Why?”
“Because you’re always go all bi-polar on me. It’s annoying.”
“You’re annoying.”
“Then why did you come here?” She threw her head back drawing in a deep breath.
“Don’t flatter yourself Kenzie I didn’t come here to see you. I came here because I was hungry, end of story, get me my food!” He slammed both his fists on the table. He’d gotten an elderly couple’s attention a few booths over.
“You walk in here like you’re a changed man. But you haven’t changed. In any way.” She began to turn around, slowly. She flipped her dark hair at him and proceeded to walk away when his words hit her.
“Whore.”


I plan to write more. tell me what you think please! if you are interested I will definitley continue. please let me know.
© Copyright 2006 Kathryn (light-up at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1112849-Hang-on-Heavy-Heart