*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1113787-Eahlahs-Mark-Ch-3
by Amy
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1113787
Eahlah's thoughts after a meal with the king and some new characters...
Chapter 3



         Eahlah returned from lunch with much on her mind. How was she going to save her home? Mykal had obviously told her so she could come up with some sort of plan to deter the council, but she was unused to dealing in such indirect politics. At home, this sort of thing would have been voted on--here, she'd have to change the minds of many with her words and logic. She had less than a day to prepare because the council met the next morning.
         She sat heavily and distractedly into a large straight backed chair forming arguments in her mind.
         "Interesting lunch?" Gahlah asked.
         "Yes."
         Gahlah set the tray down and sat in the accompanying chair.
         What did he have to say?" Gahlah handed her a loaded plate.
         "Well, the most disturbing news is that the council has brought up the annexing again."
         Gahlah looked at her but said nothing.
         "The other thing, of decidedly less importance and just a weird tidbit of culture--my birthmark is apparenlty a perfect replica of their Sign of Peace." Eahlah laughed a small trill and popped a piece of fruit into her mouth.
         Gahlah's brows knit together at this piece of news but again she said nothing.
         Eahlah continued, "I'm working some arguments through my mind."
         Why isn't the crown prince putting a stop to it? I mean, he must be against it if he warned you about it."
         "That's one thing I've also thought of. The other thing that puzzles me, why hasn't he been crowned yet?"
         "Oh, well..." Gahlah started.
         Eahlah smiled. She could always count on Gahlah to find out what she wasn't being told.
         Gahlah leaned over and whispered in her ear, "The prince is under suspicion for the murder of his father."
         Eahlah had to concentrate on keeping her face unreadable.
         "Apparently he has an alibi who is out on business and may not return for some time."
         Gahlah sat up and poured Eahlah a drink. This was disturbing news. It meant that the prince had little or no voice with the council and unless there were other members sympathetic to her and her home, she was arguing a losing battle.

*****

         "Did you see her?" He pulled his cowl lower to be sure his face was well hidden.
         "Yes." The other man was also draped concealingly in a dark robe. "You have done well. My master is pleased." He held out a small leather pouch. "Remember to use it wisely." His laugh was cold and mocking.
         The first man took the pouch and looked at it, when he looked up again his companion was gone. He shrugged and headed out of the unused dungeon, pleased with his recent acquirement.

*****

         Casius strode purposefully through the palace halls. The news he brought was highly disturbing and very important. He was caked in mud, dried out and flaking off as he walked. He was sure many a palace servant was cursing him. The late hour meant that the halls were almost empty and he came to the prince's door without seeing anyone else of importance.
         When he came to the guard at the prince's doors he stated, "I have news of utmost importance for his majesty."
         the guard on the left bowed and went in. When he returned he indicated that Casius was to enter.
         When he came in, he saw the prince rubbing his face vigorously to wake himself up.
         "What news?" The prince wasted no time.
         "Not good. There is much unrest throughout the kingdom."
         "Did you find any evidence to make the rumors true?"
         "None, sire. Just a lot of disturbed people. Too many in fact. Something is going on, but I can't explain it."
         "That's exactly what Loband said."
         "Now that I've delivered my news I'll let you get back to sleep." Casius turned to go.
         "No. Stay a while."
         Casius bowed and took the chair the prince offered him.
         "Something on your mind?" Casius ventured.
         "Yes. A diplomat from the island arrived yesterday."
         Casius couldn't see where this was leading so he merely nodded.
         "She is rather striking."
         Casius smiled. "Are you getting a crush Mykal?" he teased. This reminded him of their boyhood together.
         "No." Mykal was distracted and didn't rise to the tease. "Although it could happen I suppose. No. She has a birthmark on her neck. It is the Sign of Peace."
         Casius' smile slid off his face. "Where is she now?"
         "In the north end suite. Why?"
         "Mykal, she should be guarded. She is a target."
         "What? Why?"
         Sometimes Mykal's lack of sense frustrated Casius beyond patience. He took a deep breath before answering. "There are too many unusual things going on. This diplomat with the mark must be watched."
         Mykal nodded. "She's been watched."
         "Not by the spies. When word of her gets out, she may need protection."
         "From?"
         "Us. Our people."
         Mykal nodded slowly. "Alright. I'll assign a guard to her in the morning."
         Casius nodded. He really was tired and wanted to take his leave to clean up and get some much needed rest. He excused himself and went to his rooms. Some how being home with this new development had put him on edge. He hated it. He'd been ready to leave the disturbing behind but it seemed to have followed him in the door.
© Copyright 2006 Amy (amyl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1113787-Eahlahs-Mark-Ch-3