*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1113960-The-Phoenix-Princess
Rated: 13+ · Other · Children's · #1113960
Contest entry. A princess is stolen as a baby, while the Duke tries to steal her kingdom.
"Oh woe is me. Why will the heavens not gift us with a child." The woodsman wife lamented, tears running down her cheeks. The woodsman stood in front of the meagre fire, in their little wooden cottage, in the middle of the dark wood, on the edge of the Kingdom of Phoenix.
"Are we so undeserving of that single joy? Are our souls so evil? I think my heart will splinter into pieces." Arie continued, flinging herself onto the rickety bed. Stifled sobs moaned into the pillow.
"I'm away to the town, so sell the wood." Hali grunted, his heavy boots clunking out the door. As he was leading the laden donkey away, the harpy screeched through the open window.
"I WANT A BABY!!!"

As Hali trudged his half day journey to the nearest town, a dark cloud of sorrow hung over him. He desperately wanted to give his wife a child for he loved her dearly, but he thought that fortune would never favour him. In the pouring rain and with a sodden cloak he arrived at the market square. The rains had driven the good people of the town away, but Hali remained at the square until dark. Then found a quiet spot to rest for the night. The next morning he stood in the market square again with his wood, but the rain continued and sells were slow.

Three days the rain continued and three days Hali stood in the square all day till the sun set. For he could not return home until he had sold all the wood. On the fourth day, the sun peeped out from behind the cloud and the townsfolk came out of their houses into the square. But the woodsman was so bedraggled that no one approached him and his wood remained unsold. As the sun set, Hali debated whether to keep trying or return home the following day. "If I return home without selling the wood, then we will have little food for the winter and may starve. But if I stand in this square day after day, the chill will seep into my bones and kill me. Then my good wife will have no one to provide for her and no child to comfort her; she will starve. Oh woe is me, if only the heavens would smile upon us," he muttered out loud.

The Duke Ospar over heard Hali as he was riding through the square. An evil glint came to his eye as he called out, "My good man, I know of a poor orphan child that is in want of a good home. Let me give you 10 gold pieces for your wood and if you tell me where you live, I shall send the child to you on the night of the new moon."

Hali's eyes bulged at the offer, ten gold pieces were more than he'd ever seen. Thanking the Duke profusely, he followed the gentleman to his castle located on the outskirts of the town and handed over his wood to the servants for this rich sum. Delighted, he skipped back to the town where he spent the night in the inn, indulging in a hearty meal washed down with a few tankards of ale.

The following morning, he bought all the supplies he would need for a comfortable winter. He even bought some nice material for his wife, for he did love her dearly. With the sun high in the sky he started his journey home, arriving just as Arie was lighting the fire. Tears of joy ran down her face when Hali told her that Duke Ospar was giving them a child to raise. Happily she began preparing the cottage for the arrival of the new moon.

******************************


On the night of the new moon, Hali and Arie sat at the table in the cottage clutching each others hands. Weeks had pass since Hali's return from market and doubts were seeping in. Arie longed for the child and Hali longed to make Arie happy.
"Maybe they found a better home," Arie murmured tears glistening in her blue eyes.
"They could not find a more loving mother, my dear."

It was almost midnight and they were dozing at the table, when they were woken by a flash outside. Jumping up, running out the door, they met a most amazing sight. A tall women stood in the clearing, her green eyes glowed in the darkness like a cat's eyes and her long dark hair glistened in the moonlight with a single green streak running from the temple. What was most shocking, was her pale white skin which had an ethereal quality to it, especially when offset by her dark cloak. Clutched to her bosom was a child wrapped in blankets.

Hali trembled before this magnificent sorceress. Yet Arie's heart so wished for a child that nervously she stepped forward holding out her arms. Wordlessly the sorceress handed over the baby and Arie gave a low cry of joy was she looked into the huge amber eyes, the baby gurgled happily in response. "Take good care of this child," the cold voice rang through the clearing, "And if a strange bird arrives you must take it straight to Ospar." With another flash, the sorceress was gone and Hali and Arie took their new daughter inside.

As they laid her down into the new wooden cot, they noticed she was gripping something in her tiny little fist. It was a smooth grey stone with swirls of red through it. When Hali tried to take it away, the baby started crying and wouldn't stop till the stone was returned to the cot. Arie lay it next to the pillow and soothed the baby till she fell asleep. Within the blanket she found a long red feather, which she hung over the cot. The happy couple named their new daughter, Kalie.

******************************


For sixteen wonderful years, Arie loved and cared for Kalie as if she were her own. Hali never share a special bond with the child, often resenting Arie's love for her, but he was glad Arie was happy. Kalie grew up to be a beautiful girl with long flowing red hair and big, strange amber eyes that glinted with mishieve. She was always laughing and dancing around the cottage, singing strange songs that she heard in her dreams. Kalie loved to help her mother with the chores of the cottage, but has hopeless with every task, so Arie would always laughingly shoo her away.

Yet this happiness was not lasting.

A few days after Kalie's sixteenth birthday, Arie fell unconsious in the middle of the cottage. When Kalie found her mother thus, her screams brought Hali running from the forest. Arie was dangerously ill, her body burned with fever while being racked with shivers. Carefully, Hali carried her to bed, wrapping her in all the blankets while he withstood the cold night air in his thin cloak. For five days and five nights Hali nursed his wife, mopping her brow with fresh water. He only left her side to prepare a thin broth, which he tried to get Arie to drink. Yet, everyday Arie was getting weaker and weaker.

On the fifth day, Arie's eyes fluttered open to see Hali kneeling by her side and Kalie sitting on her bed with tears running down her smooth cheeks. Gasping, Hali grabbed her hand as Arie gestured him closer, murmuring weakly, "Please look after Kalie, my love." Groaning, her eyes closed again. Hali held his beloved close to his chest as her breathe became shallow and eventually died away. A cry of anguish broke from his lips; physically shuddering as the tears began to pour. Gently he lifted the cooling body and carried her out of the cottage and into the forest.

Kalie ran into the clearing, dithering whether she should follow or not. Wailing she sank to her knees, digging her hands into the dirt. She was alone. Her mother was dead. She was alone.

The moon was high in the sky when the stranger entered the clearing. He was tall and slender, his face hidden by a hooded cloak. Kalie was still lying in the clearing where she had cried herself into an exhausted slumber. The figure glided across the grass towards her, slowly his pale slim hands lifted her into his arms. Smoothly he turned and entered the cottage; effortlessly carrying Kalie as if she was no lighter than a feather. Placing her on the bed, he pulled the blankets up to cover her and smoothed the red hair away from her face. Murmuring, Kalie snuggled down into the blankets. The cloaked man filled a cup from the water pitcher on the table and placed it next to Kalie's bed for when she woke in the morning. Quietly, he clicked the door closed behind him, disappearing into the night.

The sound of singing woke Kalie in the morning. She stretched and sipped the water in the cup, while she listened to the beautiful song of the golden voice.
Wipe the sleep away,
Keep the tears at bay,
Let the sunshine cheer you.
My love, I'm here for you.

Mother's soul is near,
Watches you, never fear.
Eternal is her love,
Vaster than the sky above.

Love of wife was great,
For father faces fate
Of heartbreak and sorrow;
Won't end on the morrow.

Wipe the sleep away,
Keep the tears at bay,
Let the sunshine cheer you.
My love, I'm here for you.

Yon, a stranger called,
Drink the cup he poured.
Face hidden by a hood,
Gliding through the dark wood.

With skin that is pale,
From where did he hail?
Will he always be near?
Will he hold you ever dear?

Wipe the sleep away,
Keep the tears at bay,
Let the sunshine cheer you.
My love, I'm here for you.

Feather is a charm,
Protect you from harm.
Brush along rash and sprains,
Heals all ailments and pains.

I am a friend true.
Will drive away blues,
No end of tales and songs.
Come, tell me all your wrongs.


Kalie eyes swept the room, "Where are you my friend?"
"Where I've always been, my love."
"But I've never seen you before?"
"You see me everyday, yet you've never noticed me before."
"Are you teasing? I've only known two people since birth, mother and father. Are you some spirit send to frighten me in my darkest hour?"
"Your darkest hour has not passed yet. But I have known you since birth. I sing to you every night from my place next to the pillow."

Kalie turned to look at her pillow and saw only the feather and stone, "I see no one there."
"Open your eyes, dear."
"There is only the feather and stone."
"Yes. The Stone."
"Stones don't talk."
"This world is magically and wondrous, but you need open eyes to see everything."
As the Stone launched into another song, a lullaby of her childhood, Kalie giggled with glee, the tears banished from her eyes.

******************************


Hali stayed in the forest for 3 days and 3 nights. On his return, he had aged ten years; his face had lined and wrinkled, his limbs sagged and his shoulders hunched. Kalie had survived off the remains of bread and cheese with only the Stone to talk to. Hali made a simply stew for the evening meal which they shared in silence. The following day Hali left to take his latest load of wood to the market.

Kalie was scared because she had never learned how to take care of the cottage. She could not cook anything. Eating the last of the bread, she wondered what it would feel like to be hungry, as she settled down to sleep. She woke to a glorious smell; a pot of hearty soup stay warming on the stove and the cottage was spick and span.
"My! Who has done this?" She cried.
"It was the mysterious stranger who visited us again." The Stone replied.
"Why he has a good heart to look after poor little me."
Thus, it continued, every morning Kalie woke up to food cooking on the stove and a beautifully cleaned cottage. She spent her days with no worries, singing with the Stone and dancing in the sunshine.

After a week, Hali returned from the town, but he was not alone. Duke Ospar accompanied him.
"Kalie, my daughter," Hali called out to her, "This is Duke Ospar, he wants you to go live with him."
"Why, father?"
"Cos my life does not suit you, I must spend many nights away in the forest or at the town. I can not care for you as I promised your dear mother, my beloved wife. The Duke has a lovely home, you will be happy there."
"But I don't want to leave you, father."
"Such filial love is great, child," the Duke interrupted, "Come, gather your belongs, we must make haste to return to my home before night fall."
Silently, Kalie wrapped the feather and stone in a spare dress and donning her cloak, she was lifted onto the horse behind the Duke. As he turned the steed to leave, Ospar called to Hali, "Remember, if a strange bird appears you must bring it straight to me."

Duke Ospar rode his horse as fast as he could to his castle. The moon was high in the sky when they clipped into the courtyard. Jumping down from the horse, Kalie stood clutching her dress-bag, shivering with the cold and nerves.
"Don't just stand there girl," the Duke said coldly and pushed her through the open doors. Kalie slipped and banged her elbow on the stone floor. "Come on!" he growled and grabbed her roughly by the arm and dragged her along the hall and into the strange glowing chamber.

The chamber was a large throne room strangely lit by a pale green light. At the top, there were two chairs, one occupied by a tall regal figure. The sorceress that had bought Kalie to Arie and Hali.
"I've bought the girl, Qui'ara"
Rising, she strode across the floor towards them, raising her hand, she slapped Kalie full across the face. Kalie fell to the floor, sobbing.
"Pathetic," the sorceress's ice cold voice sneered. Reaching down she yanked Kalie to her feet and dragged her through the maze of corridors in the castle. They climbed to the highest tower, where Qui'ara unlocked the strong oak door. She threw Kalie inside the tiny room, flinging her off the stone wall.
"Welcome to your new home, princess, you will die here." The door slammed shut and the key clicked in the lock. Kalie burst into tears, her body ached and blood was running from her lip. "Oh woe is me," she cried and even the Stone's songs could not cheer her.

Kalie's cell was a circular stone room with a bed and a small table. The only window was a small opening high up in the wall with bars on it. Once a day a bowl of food would magically appear on the table, no doubt a trick of Qui'ara. The cup of water left for her was never ending. No matter how much she drank, it remained full. Kalie's sole visitor was Qui'ara after a few weeks of imprisonment.
"Where is the bird!" the sorceress screamed, shaking her by the shoulders.
"I don't know!" Kalie sobbed, "What bird! What are you talking about!" Qui'ara lost her temper and her hand flew, slapping Kalie about the face, neck and arms. When welts were raised on Kalie's skin, Qui'ara would leave abruptly, locking the door behind her.

Thus Kalie's existance continued in isolation with only the Stone for company and the Feather to heal her wounds. She dreaded the interviews with Qui'ara and the demanded about the bird that she had no knowledge of.


******************************



One night Kalie was awoken by a tapping at the window overhead.
"Hello?" She called to the night sky.
"I say, my dear girl. Did you once reside at the woodsman's cottage."
"Yes! That was my home. Now I am here living in misery."
"Why have you been imprisoned?"
"I don't know!" Kalie sobbed, "Duke Ospar told my father he would care for me, but the sorceress, Qui'ara, locked me in here."
"Do you seek freedom?"
"Yes!"

With an almighty crash, the bars were ripped from the window and a figure jumped down into the room. A tall slender man in a hooded black cloak, the kind stranger from the forest. He pushed back the hood to reveal a pale face with violet hair and shocking purple eyes, two fangs sat below his upper lip.
"What are you?!" Kalie gasped, recoiling in fear.
"I am E'daler, a vampire, a creature of the night, a fearsome thing from stories to terrify children. I offer you refuge in my home. Come into my arms and I will carry you away from here."
"Why should I? You scare me!"
"Quick, child. You must decide. I hear voices on the stairs below. Come with me. Open your eyes. The world is not as it seems."
Kalie grabbed the Stone and Feather and ran into E'daler's arms. Together they flew out the window and across the skies leaving Qui'ara's piercing screams behind.

E'daler took her to his castle deep in the forest. While he slept during the day, Kalie would play and dance in the gardens or sing along to the Stone's beautiful songs. She was gifted with several beautiful dresses and E'daler's kind old housekeeper would style her hair. Kalie was truely happy. Every evening she would have dinner with E'daler, then share a roaring fire listening to E'daler's reading or to music or just talking. After Kalie retired for the night, E'daler would patrol the forest ensuring the scattered inhabitants were safe.

As the weeks progressed, E'daler's affection for the girl he had twice saved blossomed into love. A deep love that pounded in his heart as he longed to hold her in his arms again. Yet not a word he spoke, cause there was no relfection of love in her eyes. Kalie did care for him deeply, but she was still young.

One night, they were sitting before the fire while E'daler quietly murmured poetry in her ear. Suddenly, he stopped.
"What is it Ee?" Kalie asked sleepily.
"I heard a strange noised, my dear. Sounded like cracking."
"Hmm."
"There is the noise again." E'daler got up to search the room, he returned holding the Stone which had tiny cracks running over it.
"Oh my Stone!" Kalie cried, taking it in her hands. The Stone glowed red in her hands and a fragment broke off the top with a loud snap. A tiny red feathered head poked out.
"Oh my!" Kalie uttered, then the stone exploded as the bird flew forth. His red feathers glowed and the tail feathers matched the Feather Kalie had.
"So nice to see you at last, my child." The Stone's voice came from the bird's beak. "I am the Phoenix and it is time. We must make haste to your throne, Princess Kalie."
E'daler's heart sank as he said, "I shall prepare my carriage to take you." He left the room and Kalie joyfully hurried to pack her beautiful dresses, all the while thinking, 'I'm a princess!'.


******************************



They travelling non-stop for two weeks towards Kalie's true home. E'daler spent the days hidden in a box below the carriage floor and the nights in the carriage with his love. On the journey, the Phoenix explained that Kalie had been stolen by the Duke as a baby and she was really the heir to the kingdom.

It was night in the city and fireworks bloomed in the sky as they were about to crown the new king. In the throneroom, the court gathered for the coronation of Duke Ospar. Qui'ara held the crown aloft, held cold voice carried the length of the hall, "The reign of the phoenix is dead. No heir has appear with the bird. The line is at an end, thus begins a new era. The reign of my husband, King Ospar, whom I now ...."
"STOP!"

Everyone turned to the entrance where Kalie stood in a beautiful gold dress and her amber eyes shone. The Phoenix sat on her shoulder and E'daler stood at her side. Whispers rustled amongst the crowd, growing louder as Kalie and her companions approached the thrones. Turning to face the room, she addressed the now waiting silence, "I am Kalie, adopted daughter of Hali and Arie, but true daughter of King Golden and Queen Sunblushed. Behold the Phoenix, I am heir."
"PRINCESS KALIE IS HEIR!" The Phoenix cried and the room gasped. The mutterings began but before long a cry was raised.
"Princess Kalie, Princess Kalie, Princess Kalie...." The room chanted. The Court had spoken.

"She can not claim the throne, she is unwed." Qui'ara sneered.
"Ah," An elderly minister interjected, "But if she was betrothed, the coronation could be postponed for another week for the wedding."
"I'll marry her." E'daler stepped forward, kneeling before Kalie he continued, "Kalie, my dear, I love you. I have loved our time together and I never want to lose you."
"A Princess marrying a vampire!" A voice called, the crowd parted to reveal a striking youth with blonde locks and deep blue eyes. "I, Prince Cai, offer the Princess Kalie my hand." Kalie gasped as she saw the handsome prince and her heart fluttered.
"You must choose wisely, my child, much you may lose." The Phoenix said.
"You must choose now, girl, to claim this throne." Qui'ara stated.

Kalie was in a clamour as she looked from E'daler to Cai. "I will ... I will marry ... Prince Cai." The court cheered as E'daler's heart splintered. Silently he made his way through the crowd and return to the forest. The Phoenix hung his head.

Within a week, Kalie was married and crowned Queen Amber. Yet her life was not a happy one. King Blue barely spoke to her and he ruled her kingdom with Duke Ospar and Oui'ara as his advisors. While Qui'ara no longer beat her, Kalie still feared the sorceress. She lived quietly in the many rooms and gardens of the palace lamenting her rash decision of youth.

The Phoenix never spoke again and when no heir was born, the reign of the Phoenix drew to an end.
© Copyright 2006 Travelling Moon (anna_luise at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1113960-The-Phoenix-Princess