*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1115433-Its-All-About-the-Power
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1115433
Lonley Girl Makes A Deal with the Devil, its as simple as that.

As I stood on top of the building’s edge, I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. From far away, I heard soft gravel footsteps slowly encroaching towards me. “Girl like you should never be on a rooftop alone.” Said a stranger’s voice from behind my back, as the footsteps stopped at my side.
“What do you want?” Grinding my teeth, I spoke and slowly turned around to size up the male stranger. I was on edge, ready to snap. My whole day has been beyond crappy, my car broke down on the way to work, which lead to my boss yelling at me for being late, my co-workers talking about me behind my back as always and now I have this idiot to deal with?
“Well you’re just full of spirit today aren’t you? Anyway, my name’s Devin Hull, Dev for short.” As he held out his hand, I saw that the man was dressed in a black Armani suit, a red silk dress shirt tucked inside with dark glasses covering his eyes. I glared at him.
“Guess you’re not one for introductions. There’s no need really, I already know who you are, Monica,” Dev replied without hesitation, bringing his hand back to his side.
“Well if you know me so well, you’d know I want to be left alone.” I replied hastily, I just wasn’t in the mood to deal with this man at all. I headed towards the door. As I reached for the handle, Dev stepped in front of me ushering my hand away. This guy was pushing it; I didn’t like his clothes, his cologne. I didn’t want to be anywhere near him.

“I have a proposition for you, you see I wield the power to get people what they want, when they want and I…”
But before Dev could finish, I interrupted him. “You know what I want; I want you to get out of my way and out of my face now,” I snapped bitterly. I saw Dev chuckle, shaking his head.
“That’s not what you want.” Dev smiled with his shiny white teeth, still blocking the exit as he slid his hands in his pockets. I lunged toward the door again, but he stood his ground, unwaveringly.
I rolled my eyes, taking a step back. “Fine, if you want to get smart, tell me what I want?” I asked threw my hands up in the air while still on guard.
“Power, Control...” Dev said smoothly. His voice was deepened, although I craved to be on top, because when I was younger everyone always had the upper hand on me, still do occasionally but I wasn’t about to let it happen again.
Instead, I bit my lip then replied: “I’m sorry that’s incorrect, but you do get a lovely calendar and a year’s supply of turtle wax. What I want is to be left alone. That’s the whole reason I came up here.” Then I glanced down at my feet. I turned away from him, taking a few steps across the gravel looking at the cityscape.
“And that’s how it’s always with you, hasn’t it? Alone.” Dev replied, I clenched my fists, he had me cold but I dare not show it. Still, he went on: “I can change that and all you would have to do is work for me. Along with giving you anything else, that would fulfill your hearts contempt.”
I turned around, walking back to him, looking him directly in the face. “Bite me.” I bitterly replied folding my arms showing that I was in no mood for deal making.
“I’ll get to the point; I’m looking for a new right hand. My previous right hand got himself wrapped up in some unfortunate consequences and I need a replacement,” Dev said. He leaned against the exit door making sure my exit was blocked. Knowing that I didn’t have a single chance of getting past him, I bit my lip and decided to play along for the time being.
“Why me, I’m nothing special, just your run-of-the-mill loner?” I asked looking away; he took a step towards me taking off his glasses, straightened up his posture, turning my body towards him and held me up by my chin, looking me directly in the eyes.
“Now you know that’s not true or I wouldn’t have come all the way up here for you.” As he spoke, I felt his intense gray eyes staring into the depths of my soul, my heart started racing both out of terror and intrigue. There was just something in his eyes; it was like a gravitational pull. I shook my head to snap out of his penetrating gaze. “Lost?” Dev said softly with a sly smile.
“Get a grip, like you’re really god’s gift.” I snapped sarcastically, although I was temporarily hypnotized, I wouldn’t let him know that, because he’d use it against me. Dev laughed, and then leaned in towards me.
“Hardly, I’m a little bit more fun.” Dev stopped smiling, and went back to leaning against the door. He stashed his sunglasses on his dress shirt collar.
“You’re bent.” I said with a sneer, giving him a glance of disgust, I turned away walking a few steps across the gravel as it crunched beneath my feet.
“I don’t know if you realize this, but I have known you since birth. From the day you were born, I knew there was just something about you that I’ve never seen before.” Dev said walking up behind me. This guy was getting a little too close for comfort. I felt revulsion for this guy, but at the same time I was captivated by him.
“Just what every girl wants, a stalker,” I mumbled, I had to say something to try and avoid his charismatic appeal.
Dev grimaced and bit his lip. Grabbing my shoulder he whirled me around. “Look at me, honest to...well honestly, I’ve never seen anyone in a million years like you.” Dev said once again looking into my dark brown eyes. I quickly turned away, afraid of being completely drawn in by his irresistible allure.
“You know, this pick-up line thing doesn’t work for you.” I said at an attempt to change the subject, he smiled.
“Thanks for the tip; I’ll keep that in mind.” Dev answered regaining his composure after our little tête-à-tête.
“So tell me more about this job.” I said walking off to the side, and then turning around to face him.
“I’m the owner of a very expansive organization. Our company’s mission statement is that everything is always about power, like I’ve said earlier. What we actually do is give people the power to indulge and release their darkest inhibitions. As people we constantly try to separate the world into polarities of dark and light, good and evil, right and wrong. But nothing is ever about right or wrong its about the power. This whole world, life in itself embodies a power struggle.” Dev said. I nodded my head, he was right. I had thought about this previously when I was in one of my indifferent moods. Where I felt neither happy nor sad, daydreaming about how life in itself above all is a power struggle.
Dev continued on: “Even the fight that’s going on inside you right now is about power,”
I gasped, I was paralyzed, not only had he hit me dead cold, he had gotten in my skin. I stood there frozen in fear. I’ve only told one person about my internal battle before, other than that I have kept my internal, psychological battle under wraps.
“The good, the evil, the rest, all of them want to come out on top. Fighting for the power to dominate, everybody has an internal battle but yours is…I don’t think there are even words to express how brutal it is for you. But your ‘dark side’ is more powerful than I can even begin to fathom.” Dev said looking at me in amazement, although still frozen, I looked in his eyes. “I need you, because your darkness can help bring out people’s most extravagant desires and unrivaled impulses. Your dark essence is unparalleled.” Dev said coming in closer. Hearing those words roll off his lips, I was petrified because I felt that he knew me, better than I did and I’ve tried all my life to avoid that. Having someone knowing me better then me, but at the same time it felt nice because if he knew what I was going through he could help me, he could help me fight my battle.
Dev put his hands caressing my upper arms, I felt safe...for the first time, ever since I can remember. I looked up at him in his gray eyes, letting him know to go ahead and pull out the contract. I didn’t think twice about reading the fine print, it was just like I knew that I didn’t need too, I was going to be safe and that settled it for me. Devin took a step back pulling out a contract and a pen. I looked at him, for one last look of reassurance, and then I took the pen and signed on the dotted line. I didn’t need to over think the consequences because after so long, I finally feel like I belong.
© Copyright 2006 DarknessInducer (mindcontroller at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1115433-Its-All-About-the-Power