*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1115700-The-Three-Letter-Word
Rated: 13+ · Other · Teen · #1115700
The unfortunate tragedy known as high school
The Three Letter Word

"Are you kidding me Caroline?!?" Judson yelled from outside the bathroom door. "You have been in there for an hour and a half!"

"Well if it was your first day of high school you would want to look as hott as you possible could too!" Caroline yelled back of the roaring of her hair dryer.

"It would take over a lifetime to make you look attractive!" Judson screamed back.

"I hate you!" She yelled in reply. Judson heard the bathroom door unlock.

"Finally!" Judson sighed. Caroline opened the door just enough to throw a bottle of shampoo at her younger brother.

"OW!" He screamed and began crying.

"Oh shut up! You are 8 years old, you should be done crying for mommy now." Caroline answered. Judson continued to cry as loud as he possible could trying to get the attention of his mother. Right on que, Mrs. Bachman came up the stairs.

"Oh Judson, what happened?" She cooed.

"Caroline hit me!" He exclaimed through sobs.

"Oh please mom, he's old enough to stand up for himself."

"You're right about that Caroline..." their mother started.

"WHAT?!?" Judson yelled, interrupting Mrs. Bachman in midsentence.

"However," their mother said while looking at Judson. "Caroline still shouldn't have hit you."

"That's right!" He replied with a smug sound in his voice as he crossed his arms.

"Now run along down stairs and let me have a talk with your sister." Judson stuck his tongue out at Caroline as he walked down the stairs. She made an "L" with her thumb and forefinger as a come back.

"Are you going to try and tell me that wasn't childish?" Mrs. Bachman said.

"Look Mom, I'm in highschool. I'm a lot older than him. I need to be able to do what I want without him being around all the time."

"When you still act like a child, you'll still be treated like a child, do you understand that? And what is up with the outfit your wearing? The shirt is cut way to low and the skirt is cut way to short."

"Mom, I want to make a good first impression in high school you know."

"A good impresssion? You know the way that outfit portrays you is not the way you want to be known."

"How do you know what I want to be known as? This is what I'm wearing today, I'm not changing."

"Well, then I hope you make the right descions" Mrs.Bachman turned her back towards her daughter and walked back down the stairs. Caroline could hardly believe it. This was the first time her mother had actually given in to her throwing a fit. Maybe being in high school has give me more power Caroline thought to her self. A little smirk appeared on her face and she finished getting ready.

Caroline walked out to the bus stop to wait for the bus. The was only one other person there. She didn't recgonize him right away. It took about three minutes for her to finally realize who it was. It was her old baby sitter, Tom Fagan.He was probably a senior in high school right now. He had become very handsome over the years. He had dirty blonde hair that was long enough to cover his ears. His ears were peirced with small rings and his blue eyes were radiant in the sunlight. He looked just like a surfer.

"Wow, Caroline, is that you?" Tom began the conversation.

"Yeah, I mean yes it's me." She answered shyly.

"You've really grown up, I must say you make that outfit look good."

"Oh, thank you." Caroline blushed. The bright yellow school bus pulled up in front of the two.

"Ladies first." Tom said as he stepped out of the way allowing Caroline to pass in front of him.

"Thank you yet again." Caroline answered and made her way up the dirt-covered stairs of the bus.

"No problem." Tom answered. As she walked ahead of him he caught a short glimpse up her blue and green plaid skirt. A small smile came on his face as he followed her onto the bus. Caroline began to sit down in one of the seats close to the front of the bus.

"Oh no, hun. Come sit back here with me." Tom said when he saw where Caroline anticipated on sitting.

"Oh okay." Caroline followed Tom to the back of the bus where most of the other upperclassmen were sitting. She couldn't believe it. Her first day of high school was starting out better than she could have ever imagined. She had not only been accepted by one of the most attractive guys she had ever seen but he was an upperclassmen. She sat next to Tom for the ride to school laughing at jokes she didn't understand and flashing smiles at Tom and the other upperclassmen.

The bus pulled to a hault at the main entrance of South Western high school. Instead of patiently waiting for everyone else to get off the bus, the upperclassmen pushed their way to the front of the bus and were the first to depart. With them was Caroline, staying close behind Tom.

"So, where's your first class C?" Tom asked as they got off the bus.

"Oh me? I have Mr. Britton for English." She replied.

"That's right up the mainstairs to the left in the B hallway. I'm not going that way but I could walk you there if you want."

"You would? I mean as long as you don't mind."

"Of course not." The two began walking into the school and up the main stairwell.

"So, what's your first class?" Caroline hesitaintly asked.

"It's football in the gym. Our school likes to keep it's football players in shape, we have been state champions for five years in a row. That ties the state record."

"That is very impressive." Caroline answered as they approached Mr. Brittons room. "Well, I guess this is it."

"Yeah, looks like it. I'll try and catch you later, okay C?"

"Yeah sure." Caroline answered as she turned into her English classroom. As she entered the room her two best friends were there to greet her.

"Hey Caroline! Who was that hunk?!?" Olivia exclaimed as soon as Caroline entered the room.

"Oh that's Tom Fagan. He lives on my street." She answered.

"Wait, Tom Fagan as in Tom Fagan the senior? As in Tom Fagan the varsity football quaterback?" Sparky's green eyes widened in suprise.

"Yeah." Caroline answered calmly.

"A senior Caroline?!? Nice!" Olivia squeaked.

"A senior is not nice Olivia. You do know seniors only want one thing with freshmen girls right?" Sparky lectured.

"No, plus were just friends." Caroline snapped back.

"It didn't look like you guys were just friends. Take it from me, being a guy I know how the male mind works and seniors only want one thing with younger girls. The three letter word."

"Sparky, what are you talking about?" Caroline was getting kind of annoyed.

Sparky's voice got really quiet. "You know, the sex word."

The room seemed to get completely silent.

"Well, that seems like a lovely way to start our first class together. Students please take your seats." Mr. Britton chimed in from his desk in the far left corner of the room.

"Whatever." Caroline whispered to Sparky and she looked for an open desk. She found one over on the left side of the classroom, disturbingly close to Mr.Britton's desk.

"Well, I guess we'll be seeing alot of each other this year." Mr. Britton whispered to Caroline as he got out from his desk to adress the whole class. Caroline's head hit the desk with frustration.

"Good morning scholars!" Mr.Britton announced, rather cheerfully.

There were a few murmers of good mornings back to the teacher but the room overall remained unresponsive.

"Maybe you didn't hear me right. I said GOOD MORNING SCHOLARS!" Mr. Britton yelled across the classroom. His voice seemed to echo of the plain white brick walls.

"Good Morning Mr. Britton!" The class answered attentively.

"Now that I have gotten all of your attention, let me tell you about my class. I am not a very strict teacher. I believe that class should be more discussion and less lecture. That's why the desks are arranged in the manner that they are. In a circle, everyone can see each other while we are speaking. In my class, there will be no eating in my classroom. The fact that you would be eating in first block gives of the impression that your parents don't feed you at home. Gum chewing is quiet okay in my class, I wouldn't want to have to listen to 35 students with morning breath. However, if you are stupid and put gum under the chairs or desks, you will be punished. You are allowed to drink in my class, I understand the importance of remaining hydrated during the day. However, I do ask that the contains you drink out of be resealable to prevent spills. Now to get down to the real business. The first book we will be reading is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I have to say this is one of my favorite books. Many of my students have also fallen in love with Mr. Card's work. Tonight you will be asigned to read the first four chapters. I hope you enjoy and that your imagination takes you away."

You have got to be kidding me, Caroline thought silently. Homework on the first night? That's crazy! The only thing we should be doing is getting little class information sheets signed.

"Tonight you will also have to get this class sylabus signed." Mr. Britton announced, as if he read Caroline's mind.

Great, that too. Caroline thought. Actually, the homework was the only part of Mr. Britton's introduction that she heard. Caroline was too busy daydreaming about Tom. She picture them together at homecoming. She was wearing a stunning green form-fitting dress with sparkles that reflected the lights in the gym. The green flowed well with her auburn hair and brought a green tint to her normally gray eyes. Tom was wearing a black tuxedo with a green vest to match Caroline's dress. Caroline pictured him with his arms around her waist and her's around his neck asthey slow danced to one of Caroline's favorite songs. The vision seemed so perfect and flawless. Her thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of the bell which signified first block being over.

Caroline, along with the rest of the class rose from their seats as fast as they could. Sparky and Olivia were waiting for Caroline at the door.

"So, I never get to tell you how much I loved your outfit today. It's scandalous." Olivia said once Caroline caught up to her.

"You like that outfit? She's letting it all hang out. It leaves nothing for the imagination." Sparky chimed in to the conversation.

"I must say I completely adore Caroline's outfit. It's so devilishly delicious." A voice from behind the three friends responded Sparky's comment. The group turned around to see who was speaking to them. A tall blond with blue eyes had come up behind them. She was wearing a Hollister halter top and white-washed jean skirt that looked a little to short on her.

"Hey Caroline, my name is Angel. I saw you with Tom this morning. I figuered any one who was cool with Tom is cool with me." Angel said sassily.

"Oh hi, my name's...well you kind of already know that." Caroline answered.

"Yeah, I talked to Tom during first block today. So where are you headed to?" Angel inquired. Sparky and Olivia seemed to disappear in the background.

"I actually have gym next block." Caroline answered.

"Oh, cool. That's where I just came from. I'll walk you there." Angel replied. They made their way down the main stairwell and turned left toward the school gymnasium.

"So, how did you meet Tom so early in the year?" Angel asked after a couple seconds of silence.

"Oh, he lives on my street. He was at the bus stop this morning." Caroline answered.

"Yeah, he usually never rides the bus. His parents always make him ride the bus on the first day of school. It's so lame." Angel rolled her eyes.

"Yeah it is." Caroline's happy mood dropped. If Tom didn't ride the bus anymore, it probably means she would see him anymore. Great she thought the only reason I fit in with the upperclassmen is going to be totally out of life after today.

"Well here's the gym." Angel had interrupted Caroline's thoughts.

"Oh yeah. Thanks." Caroline mumbled and walked into the gym.

Angel turned around and started walking in the direction towards her second block class. At that moment Caroline realized that she had left Sparky and Olivia behind. She stood outside the gymnasium doors looking around to see if they were around. When the late bell rang, Caroline gave up her search and entered the gym doors for class.

" Alright students, I realize today is your first day of school. Today, we won't be doing much of anything, we'll just be taking roll and asigning lockers. But, to make the process go faster so you have more time to screw around, get into roll lines for each class. There is a bright orange cone with your teacher's name on it. Find the cone and arrange yourselves in aphabetical order." Announced an old woman with curly hair in a track suit. Caroline began looking at the orange cones. Hines, Staurt, Kendro and finally Rogers. Caroline made her way to the front of the line. A short strawberrry blond girl came up behind her.

" Hey, what's your last name?" she asked.

" Bachman, Caroline Bachman." Caroline answered.

"I guess I'm behind you, my name is Julia Browning."

"Nice to meet you Julia."

"Same here."

Miss Rogers began making her way down the line calling out the last names of her registered students.

"Albaz....Andrews....Bachman." she read.

"Here Miss Rogers."

"Oh hey Caroline. Are you planning on trying out for soccer this year?" the teacher asked.

"Of course, it's my passion."

"Good, I hope to see you out there next week."

Miss Rogers returned to calling roll. Julia tapped Caroline's shoulder. She turned around to look right into Julia's deep brown eyes.

"You play soccer?" Julia wondered.

"Yeah. Why?"

"Sweet. I do to so I was just wondering."

"Really, that's so awesome!" Caroline exclaimed.

"Okay students, we are now going to asign lockers. All those planning to play fall sports, come get your locks first." The old lady that had been speaking before shouted across the gym.

Caroline and Julia immediatly rose from their places on the floor and made their way over to the table where locks and lockers were being assigned. Caroline reached the line before Julia did. The rest of the classes seemed to file in behind them.

"Name?" asked the male gym teacher that was sitting at the table in front of Caroline. Where have I seen him before? Caroline silently thought to herself. He had short, dark hair and peircing green eyes, it would have been hard for her to forget a face like his. His name is like Mr. Wa....Mr. Wa....Mr.Wagner! She exclaimed in her mind.

"Name?" Mr.Wagner asked again with frustration.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Bachman, Caroline." Caroline answered as her face flushed red. It was silent for a couple of seconds as Mr.Wagner flipped through paperwork.

"So, what sport do you plan on playing this fall?" Mr. Wagner broke the silence.

"Soccer, of course!" Caroline giddily answered.

"Oh, so you're going to be one of Miss Roger's girls."

"Yep!" Caroline was very upbeat.

"Well you better be good, most of our good players graduated last year." For the first time during the coonversation Mr. Wagner looked up from the paperwork he had been looking through.

"You can count on me." Caroline answered as he handed her a lock, a combination and a locker number. She walked towards the locker room and waited outside the door for Julia to come over.

Julia walked over from the table with her dirty blonde hair swinging in a ponytail.

"So, what was with that?" She asked.

"What was with what?" Caroline was puzzled.

"You know with you freezing up in front of Mr. Wagner."

"It was nothing."

"It's okay you know, a lot of girls at this school think he's hott."

"What, no. I mean yeah, he's attractive but I just thought I recognized him from somewhere. That's all."

"Okay, whatever you say." Julia smirked saracastically. Caroline didn't feel like fighting her. They both entered the lock room together. They didn't really talk much until Caroline decided to break the akward silence.

"So, what's your locker number?" Caroline asked.

"#978, yours?"

"#977."

"Looks like I'll be seeing a lot of you this year then." Julia tried to seem upset, but her joking matter was too obvious. The two girls looked at each other and broke out laughing. They turned towards the new wing of the locker room. All the soccer girls were assigned to the new wing. Caroline opened the door and with a over-exaggerated hand motion allowed Julia to enter first. They broke out into laughter again and put their locks on their lockers.

Second block seemed to go by so fast for Caroline. She and Julia had been talking and joking the whole time. She almost forgot she was even in school until the bellrang to signal the end of gym. They two new friends said their good-byes when Julia turned right and Caroline turned left. Caroline was headed to government with Mrs. Glassmeyer third block. She had to go back upstairs using the main stairwell. It was her first day and she was already sick of that stairwell. It was always crowded with students which made it almost impossible to move. She started up the stairwell when she felt a tap on her back. She turned to see the freshly manicured nails of Angel on her shoulder.

"Hey byotch!" Angel greeted her.

"Hi Angel." Caroline replied.

"How did you like second block?"

"It was fun. I met this really cool girl named Julia. I'm going to be playing soccer with her this fall."

"What?!?" Angel seemed shocked.

"I'm going to play soccer with Julia this fall." Caroline repeated. She didn't know what was so wrong with that.

"You can't play soccer, it's like socail suicide. You have to be a cheerleader this fall, like me." Angel lectured.

"What?" Now Caroline was shocked.

"Well, you like Tom right? And football players only date cheerleaders. So to land a date with Tom you have to be a cheerleader."

"I'll think about it." Caroline stated sadly.

"I know you'll make the right desicion. Tom is quaterback you know. See ya!" Angel blew Caroline a kiss goodbye. The stairwell didn't seem to go that slow for Caroline this time. She started down the hallway where he government class was. The idea of being a cheerleader kept running through her head as she entered Mrs. Glassmeyer's room. Caroline had always hated cheerleaders. They standed for just about everything she was against. But the one thing she wasn't against was Tom. And if being a cheerleader was what it took to be with Tom, than she was trading in her cleats for pom-poms.

The idea left her mind almost as abruptly as it had come into her head when she saw who was in her government class. Sparky and Olivia were both sitting in desks and glaring at her. Great Caroline thought they're mad at me because people like me. She wiped the thought from her head and took a desk next to Olivia.

"Hey guys!" Caroline cheerfully declared as if nothing was wrong.

"Hey, where's Angel?" Sparky asked briskly. His words were filled with hate.

"Sparky, leave her alone. Caroline, I understand why you left us earlier. You just got a little carried away since you were talking to a senior." Olivia seemed understanding.

"Thank you for understanding Olivia. I promise you guys, it won't happen again, we've been best friends forever, I would never mean to hurt you."

"It's no problem Caroline. We understand, don't we Sparky?"

"Yeah whatever, you are making mistakes on your first day Caroline. I just don't want to see you hurt."

"Oh Sparky, stop worrying, I haven't done anything that will get me hurt, I'm just meeting new people."

"You are so niave." He mumbled.

"What are you talking about?" Caroline had been trying to keep her anger inside but it finally exploded. Luckily, before the fight escalated the bell rang and Mrs. Glassmeyer began to speak.

"Hello class! My name is Mrs. Glassmeyer and I will be your government teacher this semester. Some of the main subject we will be going over are the branches of government, the responsibilities of each branch, checks and bala..."

Mrs. Glassmeyer's voice faded into the background of Caroline's thoughts. Do I really have to change who I am for Tom? she asked herself. But things are supposed to be different right? It's highschool. If Tom wants cheerleader I'll give him cheerleader. Dating the varsity quaterback? I could have never imagined that. And it's right in my grasps all I have to do is make varsity cheerleading. Varsity cheerleading. The idea just hit Caroline like a semi truck. I've never cheered before in my life. I don't have the slightest clue of what I'm supposed to do. I'll have to talk to Angel about it.Caroline's thoughts faded away as Mrs. Glassmeyer's voice reentered her mind.

"Now, for homework, all you have to do is get these papers signed by you and your parents. If you put your signature on there now, you'll have half your homework already done! I know some of your teacher's probably gave you guys a ton of homework today but I'm not going to do that. I'm a nice teacher but don't get the idea that I won't ever give you homework. Government is a pretty hard class to learn which means it comes with a lot of homework. I just don't think students should be landslided with homework on their first day in highschool!" Mrs. Glassmeyer was handing out papers to everyone in the class. Atleast she didn't load me up with homework like Mr. Britton. Caroline thought. She quickly signed the papers where it said student signature and put the papers in her binder. She locked up at the clock on the opposite side of the run, class was almost over already. Time flied by when she wasn't paying attention. The bell rang and the whole class got up and headed towards the caffeteria for lunch.

Caroline stood by the door of Mrs. Glassmeyer's classroom and waited for Olivia and Sparky to exit. She still owed them for ditching them earlier. Once the three friends were united, they started to make their way to the cafeteria.

"So, what do you guys think of Mrs. Glassmeyer?" Olivia said breaking the silence. She made sure she was far enough away from the classroom before she asked. She didn't want the government teacher to over hear.

"I thought she was great, she was nice and funny and she didn't give us any homework." Sparky said, he was such a suck up, Caroline began to think to herself.

"What about you?" Olivia leaned over Sparky to look at Caroline.

"Well, I thought she was okay. But, I mean, she seemed to be so fake. She gave us like this sugar coating before she really loaded us up with work. But it was nice not to have homework on the first night." Caroline didn't notice the looks her friends were giving her.

"You're just judging everyone today aren't you?" Sparky was frustrated with Caroline, it was beyond obvious.

"Well, then again, I wasn't really paying attention." Caroline still didn't notice her friends.

Sparky finally exploded. "What else could you have possibly been doing?!?"

"She was thinking about Tom, duh." Olivia was very sassy with her answer.

"Shhh! Not so loud, Liv!" Caroline whispered with vigor.

"Okay, okay. Don't get so angry. Geeze." Olivia replied quietly.Caroline hated the attitude that Olivia was giving her. She hated even more how protective Sparky had become, he had never acted like this last year. But, Caroline still owed them for ditching them earlier, so she kept her mouth shut.

By this time they had already entered the cafeteria and searched for a place to sit. There seemed to be so many people shoved into this little room to eat lunch. Finally, the three saw some familiar faces and moved to the front right hand side of the cafeteria. Just as they were about to sit down they heard that voice that had been ringing in their ears since this morning.

"Hola chica! Don't you love the Spanish?" Angel chimed as she approached Caroline.

"Yes, yes I do love it." Caroline was smiling.

"So, have you made your descion?" Angel's face went semi-serious.

"Umm yeah. I think I'm gonna do cheerleading. But I realized that I haven't cheered before ever in my life. There is no way I can make the varsity team with no experience."

"Oh hun, you act like I haven't thought of that already! During study hall I'll take you to the gym and we can practice, plus, I'm captain so I have connections." Angel seemed amused with Caroline's ignorance.

"Oh okay. Wait, I have to read four chapters of some book called Ender's Game. I'll never have enough time." Caroline became worried.

"It's called Sparknotes, babe." Angel looked at Caroline and added, "And don't worry, it will give you lines and wrinkles."

"Oh okay, so I guess I'll see you in study hall then." Caroline turned and began to sit down.

"Oh uh no. Why don't you come sit with me, I want to introduce you to a few people. It will only take a second." Angel protested.

"Umm okay." Caroline then turned to Olivia and Sparky, "I'll be back in a little bit, you don't mind do you?"

"Sure, whatever, fine" Sparky put his head down when he answered, he wouldn't even look in Caroline's eyes.

"Yeah, go have fun Caroline." Olivia seemed disappionted but atleast she was encouraging her.

"Alright, then it's settled, lets bounce!" Angel grabbed Caroline's hand and led her to the back of the cafeteria where most of the upper classmen sat.
© Copyright 2006 Jenn Halliday (kisstobetray at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1115700-The-Three-Letter-Word