*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1116056-How-WritingCom-Changed-My-Life
Rated: ASR · Essay · Contest · #1116056
I found all that I needed when I joined Writing.com
I started writing poetry at the early age of thirteen. By the time I was sixteen, I was really serious about it. By nineteen I had written a short novel, and drafted a long one. By twenty-one the third novel I wrote was overviewed by a professor in good status, and I was busy becoming a writer.

But at the age of twenty-three, I fell sick with mental health problems and lost the will to write. It appeared as though all of my dreams were dashed to the ground. I just couldn't write. I dumped the novel that I had worked so hard on in the trash, with many many revisions. I swept through the seventies and eighties, listlessly with pages, trashing much of my stuff, a bit willy-nilly.

Nothing satisfied me that I put on paper. I attempted publication but was only successful in several poetry magazines. All of the poetry kept getting crumpled up and returned to the trash can. Then, in the nineties, I published two self-published books of poetry. I still wasn't happy. They had been published at my father's printing company. Good quality press and with reproductions of paintings in the second by a young man, John Gurbaks, from Florida. The thing was, it was father's establishment. I was hoping for more. And when he died my cousins and brothers sold the business, so I thought then and there I would never publish again. Well, not in a really respectable Publishing House.

Suddenly in 2002, I found Stories.com by chance. I had just purchased a computer and was interested in different sites. I came up with them logically, and it was as if by a vision and even a bit of desperate writing that I punched in Stories. Well, it changed my life. As soon as I got online with our community, I was entralled with all its keen navigation. A million things were possible to do, with this site. I immediately itemized fifteen or so of my best items and I have been itemizing ever since. I was so excited when I became a Preferred Author after having been in the midst of SLAM poets who gave me a needed push. I took on becoming a Reviewer for three different Forums since then.

Then just the best thing happened to me. I took some of my best work and sent a manuscript to Publish America and they accepted it, and I was suddenly published! It was a thrilling moment. Even more thrilling was that Publish America accepting two more of my books so that I displayed talent for both prose and poetry. I have a seven year contract for each of them and now have the privilege of holding a solid Profile with Amazon.com. It would never have been possible without the help of those who reviewed me and Managing Reviewers and Contest Holders on Writing.com.

At this time, I am using a computer which I won from writing.com as a back-up. Does this indicate why I wrote the poem, "May Angels Watch?
It was huge luck and all because of a contest donator.

My friend Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox has never pressed me into anything but being myself. She is really rewarding as a friend in Writing.com, and has taught me much. As well, I feel that Cappucine geared me into three great events of Slam Poetry, and it was wildly adventurous for poetry writing. I have been given over 2000 Reviews and received over 10000 base portfolio views and have enjoyed reciprocating that. I love the courage and the strength that Tornado Day has given me through her very fragile and unique existence here at WDC. This is a great place to be. Yes! It changed my life.


Winner of A Contest of Firsts, July 2012. Judge: bluejellybaby
© Copyright 2006 VictoriaMcCullough (secretvick at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1116056-How-WritingCom-Changed-My-Life