*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1116329-Heaven-Behold
by Sooshi
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Tragedy · #1116329
Story that happens in the space of minutes, changing lives, forever of those involved.
Best friends since the age of four, Sally and I,we would do everything together. Rewind this life back a few years, we're both 16 and life couldn't get any better. Passed all my exams with good averages, a promising romance, summer holiday trip on the horizon and a place in a good rate college.
Day to note; first day of the holidays and two weeks from now Sally and I are off on our big trip around Europe. Train from Holland to Portugal, with two days stop in every city in between. I'm behind the counter of the local shop, saving together the last pennies for the trip. Haven't been out in weeks and trying desperately not to fall asleep at the monotony of the day. Little did I know today would be the day to determine the rest to come. Our quiet neighbourhood shop suddenly finds itself the victim of a gun-point raid. Such extreme crime for a pocket change cash register. I was serving a sweet old lady, listening to her tell me once again of how proud she was of her grandchildren bla bla bla...when BOOM! The door flew open, crashing to the ground and taking little old lady with it. I still can't shake that image. Three men run in wearing the Hollywood raid set up, black pants, black jumper, balaclava and such. The one guy that should have been covered from head to toe, was wearing a T-shirt. The 'I Love Lola' tattoo covered his lower right arm and '1979' prison tattoo on his left. Now here was a definition of fuck up if ever I saw one. But then it hit me, maybe this little detail didn't matter.
There were six people in the shop, then 5...4...3...2...I'm still standing. The guy with tattoos pointed his gun at me next. I was motionless, expressionless. Funny how shock takes hold of your body. A sudden rage of adrenaline, like a drug rush of insanity. I looked around the shop. Five dead bodies within full view, and poor little old lady. A wave of regret hit me then, I never even knew her name, nor the names of her overachieving grandchildren. Why didn't I listen? Too late for regrets of the usual bullshit of things I should have done, places and people I should have seen.
"What do you want?" a squeaky voice I interpreted as my own.
Without response, I opened the register and stuffing the money in a promotional bag, noticed the irony staring me in the face. 'Come Again Soon', laughing and dancing before my eyes.
Yeah, sure your always welcome in the store. Just leave you problems at the door with Ol' Lady's umbrella. Mind the other customers as you go and look out for the wet floor...caution (blood) slippery when wet. So yeah Mister, come back anytime you want. I might even greet you with a smile next time.
All three men were stood in front of the counter
"Cigarettes too missy!" He was the shortest one. failed at acting school on account of his poor vocal skills.
Reach the audience dear. Your naturally whiny and trying on deep voices wont make up for the fact your vertically challenged. You could almost hear the audince laugh in his eyes. Always one of the Seven Dwarves, never the Prince. What was he today, Dopey? Sleepy? No, today he was Grumpy. Oh and who was this on his right?
"Booze too. Martini, Vodka, the lot!"
Ah, it was 007 himself, or Mr I'm trying to be refined by definition of my alcohol preference, and another makeshift accent. Now here were two of the funniest clowns in the circus, full set of makeup and squeaky noses. The only real props being the guns. All dolled up and only the local store as a hang out, how sad. And right there in the middle, the ring leader Dorian Gray himself. Power was his vanity and he needed a look in the mirror. His eyes burnt through me, trying to find some place to lock fear. Empty. My shock had settled in every pore, my perfume the new essence of Hatred, baught to you by Gucci. No, there was no fear, just pure rage and anger. My furrowed brow gave that away and ring leader didn't like that one lttle bit.
I needed my rage fix, looking over to the hanging door frame. That was enough, I caught a glimpse of my newly adopted grandmother.
"Move it!" His voice mixed with anxiety startled me out of my reverie.
If I could have stopped time, it would have been then. Sally came running into the shop. The next few moments happened so fast, it felt like a passing memory. I dove over the counter reaching for 'I Love Lola's' gun. Then...nothing.
I woke with a start to the loveliest smell of fresh flowers and a brightly lit room.
"Sally?!"
"It's ok. Your safe now"
I turned to my left,Little Old Lady sat on a chair by my bed, surrounded by everyone from the store that day, Sally at my feet. Our big trip around Europe bought me first class tickets to Heaven.









© Copyright 2006 Sooshi (sooshi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1116329-Heaven-Behold