*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1116484-The-Reckoning
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Religious · #1116484
An unusual near-death experience
The Reckoning


'Guilty! Guard! Take him away!'
'Come on, let's go.'
'Wait! This isn't right, I'm not guilty! This isn't fair!'
'Get him out of here!'

The guard took the man out of the room, down the hallway and towards a section of the hallway that had three doors in it. Opening the second door, the guard shoved him through the door. As it closed, loud, shrill and terrified screams could be heard that came from the man that had just been shoved through the door. The guard returned to the courtroom but, when he passed the people waiting outside in the hallway, they could see that a tear was forming in on of his eyes.

'The sentence has been carried out, Your Honour.'
'Good, return to your post until I'm ready for the next person.'
'Yes Your Honour.'

The cycle repeated itself with most of the people sitting outside that courtroom. There were few exceptions to the general pattern. The exceptions seemed unafraid as they went through the third door, and instead of screams, the sounds of laughter and joy were heard to come from that door as it closed. The first door was not used at any time.

The young man who was the last person to arrive at that hallway finally got curious enough to wonder where he was. This is just like the hallway outside the courtroom in my home town. But it can't be. I was in Sydney last time I looked. Anyway, the courthouse was destroyed five years ago. Unless I've gone back in time, but no, that's impossible. Hey, wait a minute maybe I could ask that guard when he comes back. No, I couldn't. Then again, why can't I? He looks like he knows what is going on around here, wherever here is. What's wrong with me? I'm not usually this indecisive or scared of anything or anyone. I've gone up against some of the best prosecutors in the country, and beat them, why shouldn't I be able to ask a lowly guard where I am? Ok, I'll do it. Where is that guard anyway? Oh there he is. Ok, here goes.

'Excuse me, where exactly am I?'
'Don't you know?'
'It looks like the courthouse back home. But it can't be.'
'Why not?”
'It burnt down five years ago. So I can't be back home.'
'You're right, this isn't the courthouse you are thinking of.'
'Then where am I?'
'This is the Celestial Justice Centre. It just looks like this to make you feel a little more comfortable.'
'Why would I need to feel more comfortable? None of this is real.'
'Isn't it?'
'Of course it isn't. The Celestial Justice Centre, that's just another way of saying Heaven's Courthouse, isn't it?'

The guard was prevented from answering by the judge yelling 'Next!'
'Your turn, I hope I don't have to remind you about proper courtroom behaviour?'
'No you don't.'
'Good.'
'Take the stand. State your full name.'
'Thomas Michael Johnson.'
'You stand charged with numerous offenses against the Celestial Code of Conduct. How do you plead?'
'Offenses against the Celestial Code of Conduct? What Celestial Code of Conduct? I've never heard of such a thing!'
'Surely you've heard of the Ten Commandments?'
'Of course I have.'
'They are the abbreviated form of the Code. So, how do you plead?'
'Not Guilty, of course.'
'This case goes to trial in five hours. The penalty for the offenses that you have been charged with is eternal punishment. The reward if found not guilty is eternal life. Guard, take him away so that he can meet with the lawyers to prepare his case.'

Thomas was led to a room off the main hallway that contained a large table which had sixteen chairs gathered around it. The room, looked a lot like the meeting room in the law office where he worked as a clerk. 'Wait, please. What am I supposed to do here?'
'This is the room where you choose the lawyer who is to defend you in the trial.'
'I don't understand. What does that mean?'
'You do understand about jury selection don't you?'
'Of course. What's that got to do with anything?'
'This is similar, except you are selecting a lawyer.'
'Oh, so what happens first?'
'First you meet the ones available, then when you have asked them enough questions, you choose one to represent you in the trial.'
'What happens after that?'
'Then the real work of preparing your case begins.'
'Work? What sort of work?'

The guard went strangely quiet, almost as if he didn't want to answer. 'You'll be taken to the memory extraction room where they will make a copy of your memories, put them on DVD, and use them as evidence in your trial. Once the discs are made, each side gets a copy so that they can prepare their case while you get to rest for a while.'
'Do you mean to tell me that they use my own memories as evidence against me?'
'That's exactly what I mean, but the same memories will also be used in your defense.'
'Is that meant to make me feel better?'
'No, it's not. Here come the lawyers, I have to go. Knock on the door when you have made your choice.'

The guard left the room and wished that he didn't already know the outcome of the trial. Everyone who lived had violated the Celestial Code of Conduct and was declared guilty. The lucky few, however had learned of the one loophole that would turn that guilty verdict into one of not guilty. It took great courage to use it, and a great deal of faith, which was one of the reasons that not many people used it. Thomas had never been taught about the loophole, which is why the guard knew the outcome of the trial.

'Father, I want this one.'
'Why him?'
'He was never taught and I can use him.'
'Use him? How?'
'I have a place in mind for him.'
Thomas meanwhile, had finally chosen the lawyer who would represent him. He banged on the door as he had been asked. 'He's chosen.'
'Take him to the room then.'

'Thomas, come with me.'
'Where to?'
'Memory Extraction.'
'Will it hurt?'
'No, but it will be draining. That's why you need to rest after it is over.”
'What do I do?'
'Sit in the chair, the machines will do the rest.'
“You call that a chair?! It looks like a cross between my dentist's chair, and something that Doctor Frankenstein would use!'
'It is a bit frightening, but it is comfortable.'
'Now what?'
'Ok, now that you're seated, I'll start the machines and leave you in silence.'
The machine behind the chair was the first to start. It lowered an arm that contained a small silver disc with three different coloured lights on it. The disc was attached to his temple and the first light glowed red. After a few minutes the second light replaced the first. It showed a flashing amber colour and was linked to a set of switches that turned on the recording machines. The last light, a green one, was linked to the program that started the projector which was aimed at a screen in front of Thomas. It also started the recording.

Wow, this must be what they mean when they say that your while life flashes before your eyes just before you die. Does this mean that I'm dead? Why did I do that? Am I really that bad. Can I really be that callous? Oh man, I'm done for! My life has been crap so far! If I EVER get out of this it will be a miracle. What am I thinking of? God doesn't exist, therefore miracles don't happen. Oh man, not Chris! I gave her so much grief about her beliefs, no wonder she doesn't want to go out with me. Well that's going to change!

'Ok, Thomas. We're done. I'll take you to our recovery room now. You'll be able to have something to eat and drink, you can take a shower and even watch a little TV, or you can have a rest in the bed.'
'Thanks. By the way, what is your name?'
'My name? It's Yeshua.'
'Interesting. I've never heard it before. Where 's it from?'
'It's Hebrew. In English, the equivalent would be Joshua.'
'I like Yeshua better.'
'So do I. Get some rest. The trial is in two and a half hours.'

The guard returned to the courtroom. 'Father, this one is changing already, he asked about my name.'
'What name did you tell him?'
'The one you gave me, not the one that he will come to know me by.'
'Good, he needs to seek you out for himself.'

In the recovery room, Thomas had some food and drink, and was trying to watch a little TV, but his mind was still processing the images he had just seen. Man, I've been a complete idiot about everything! If only I had known! Who am I kidding? I would have done everything the same! Chris seems to have her life together, maybe she can help me get my life turned around. The thing is I've got to get out of here first, wherever here is.

His thoughts continued along a similar vein for the rest of the time he was in that room, only being interrupted when it was time for him to return to the courtroom.
'Your Honour, if I may, I'd like to change my plea.'
'What would you change it to?'
'Guilty!'
'Why do you want to change your plea?'
'After being forced to evaluate my life the way that a stranger would, I have realised that I have broken almost everyone of the Ten Commandments. I lied, cheated, stole and while I didn't actually kill anyone, I didn't help people who were seriously injured, causing some of them to die of their injuries. I stole my best friend's girlfriend, I slept with women that I wasn't married to and I disrespected my parents. I can never change what I did, and in changing my plea, I will never get the chance to make changes to the way I live, but it is the only plea that I can make.'
'Your contrition does you justice, unfortunately it comes too late. The only sentence for the crimes that you are pleading guilty to, is that of eternal punishment. If you had woken up to your true nature before you arrived at my court, the verdict may have been different, but as it is, the verdict stands. I have no choice but to find you guilty on all charges,' the judge's gavel pounded on the desk, to show that the trial was over, 'take him away.'

Thomas was led down that hallway outside the courtroom to those three doors. The guard stopped outside the first door. He struggled with the lock as it had not been used for a very long time and had gotten a little rusty. In his attempt to get the door open, the sleeves of his shirt slid up his arms to reveal something very unexpected! There, on each wrist, was a jagged, roughly circular scar of about four inches in diameter!

He got the door open before Thomas could comment. Thomas got a shock when he was told, 'I have bought your freedom' and was then pushed through the door.
The next sound that assaulted his ears, was the sound of a monitor going 'beep, beep' and the furtive whispers of people trying to ask questions without being heard. He groaned and demanded, 'Where am I, and why do I hurt all over?!'
'You're in hospital Tom, you were almost killed in a car accident.'
© Copyright 2006 Fiona Gorem (mrsgorem at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1116484-The-Reckoning