*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1117078-Jessicas-Haunting-Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Novel · Romance/Love · #1117078
Chapter 2



CHAPTER 2


Jessie found herself standing in the hospital parking lot. Jeff was waiting for her by her car. "I thought you might want your keys."
"Thanks."
"Mr. James say's take a couple of weeks off. We are all really sorry for your loss Jessie. Karol say's if you need anything call her."
"Tell her I said thanks."
Taking her keys from Jeff she got in her car. She started to drive to the house and then changed her mind. The bed was rumpled from their love making after breakfast. Howard’s clothes were in the washer and dryer. The house was the same but her life had been changed in a day. She couldn't believe he was gone.
Making a quick decision in her mind she took a drive, ending up at the spot where Howard had purposed. She could see him everywhere she looked. His face loomed before her eyes. He was trying to tell her something she could not hear. This had to be a bad dream she would wake up from. The pain and hurt were heavy in her heart. Thankfully the glorious numbness was keeping most of the pain at bay. This Beach had too many memories she turned her car around and headed for the mountains.
The stars were bright in the sky it was so dark upon the mountain she could see every star. She pulled over to the side of the road. Looking out at the snow she felt it beckoning to her. The pain hit her like a knife jamming into her heart. Jumping out of the car she began running down the side of the mountain, tears blurred her vision.
Thinking to herself, what reason was left for her to be alive? Her parents were gone, and her grandparents were gone. Howard was gone, what was left? She slowed down to a walk, getting the feeling that she was being followed. Jessie was getting so cold, she realized she forgot to get a jacket out of the car. Looking around she realized she was lost. Clouds had come in and covered up the stars and moon.
Knowing she was in trouble but not sure she cared she sat down in the snow, she leaned her head against a tree, and closed her eyes. She was asleep before she knew it. A sudden sensation came over her and she was warm and moving. Opening her eyes she realized Howard was carrying her. She knew she was safe, she closed her eyes and drifted back to sleep.
******************************
“Jessie sweetheart, what are you thinking coming out into the snow like this with no jacket? You don’t want to die. You’re stronger than this. Jessie you’ll have a part of me always, just wait and see. Don’t give up.” Howard had reached the car, pulled out a jacket and put it around her. Then he put her in the passenger seat. He sat beside her in the car. He watched her sleeping and wished he could come up with a way to show her everything would be all right.
***************************************
Waking up in the passenger side of her car she realized it must have all been a dream. It was still really cold outside, she moved to the drivers seat, and started up the car. Waiting for the heater to warm up she watched the sun come up. It was useless to try to enjoy it.
It was 6:00 AM when she pulled up in her drive. She made it as far as the couch and fell asleep there.
When she woke up it was 9:00 A.M. She knew she didn't have to go to work, but she got dressed anyway. She walked into the kitchen and saw the dishes, then walked back out. His clothes were on the bedroom floor his razor on the bathroom sink. His shoes were under the coffee table. How was she supposed to manage without him? Everywhere she looked in the house he was there.
That was something else the house. She had to notify the insurance company he was dead. Howard had insisted when they bought the house that it would be paid off incase of his death.
Sitting down she made a list of everything she needed to do. A funeral, she didn't know how to set one up. She made a note to call Mr. James maybe he would know. She would have to cancel Howard’s bank account. The finance company for his bike would need to be called, and then she remembered it was paid off. Jessie lost herself in making list of what had to be done. Picking up the phone she made the phone call to Mr. James.
Alicia answered the phone when she called. "Jessie, I was sorry to hear about Howard."
"Thank you. Is Mr. James in yet?" Jessie wasn’t sure she could keep hearing condolences. They were just words, no one knew what she was feeling. No one had been as close to Howard as she had been. They were both a one in the world, no family.
"Hold on." Alicia placed her on hold and the music was Country, Garth Brooks singing The Dance. The words ‘I could have missed the pain but I would have missed the dance.’ Were too much for her. She started making her mind go anywhere but to the words of that song. So she almost missed it when Mr. James picked up the phone.
"Jessie, how are you doing?"
"I'm holding on. I have a problem, I don't know how to arrange a funeral." She could hear the sympathy when he spoke.
"Jessie, why don't you let me handle that. I’ll give you a call in a little while and let you know when and what time. Then all you have to do is make the phone calls to who you want to invite."
Jessie couldn't believe it, the whole thing sounded as if they were planning a party. It was as if it was just a normal day, as Howard wasn't gone. She wanted to scream at the world. Howard was gone. Taking a few deep breaths she instead replied.
"Thank you. I'll be at home. Wait. How do I know I can afford what you plan?" She didn’t have very much in her savings. Howard had been bugging her to save more. There had always been something she needed for the house or her car.
"Jessie, Howard died on the job, you don't have to pay for anything."
Jessie almost lost it right there. Being the manager she knew that wasn’t how it worked. They had never lost a driver in the seven years she had been there. Still she was sure it wasn’t up to the company. Mr. James was paying for it because he knew she couldn’t.
"Okay, I'll wait for you to call."
Hanging up the phone she went in search of her phone book. Howard had added his friends to it one night when he was bored. After she found it she sat down and started making a list of everyone she needed to call. By the time Jessie had the list ready her phone rang.
"Hello?'
"Jessie, It's Karol, I was wondering if you needed any company? I thought I might be able to help you with some things."
"I don't know what I'm doing. I need any help I can get."
"I'll be there in twenty minutes. Okay?"
"Thank you."
Jessie looked around the house, she couldn't figure out what she was supposed to do next. Sitting down on the chair she waited for Karol. This house was too quiet. Howard always had the TV or radio on.
When the doorbell rang Jessie jumped out of her skin. Answering the door she was laughing at herself knowing it would be Karol. She had brought a few of the other wives with her. After hugs and more sympathy Jessie just wanted to scream, but she held it all in. Before long the house was clean and Jessie had been fed.
The next time the phone rang it was Mr. James. "Jessie, The services will be held at Browns Funeral Home at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday day after tomorrow. Howard will be laid to rest at Holy Angels Cemetery. The viewing will be tomorrow from 7-9 pm if you don’t mind, everyone would like to give him a Driver’s funeral. We want to put the casket on the back of a truck. All the other owners have called and they want to send trucks."
Jessie knew that was exactly what Howard would have wanted. How many times had he told her towing was in his blood, he couldn’t quit if he wanted too?
"I don't think Howard would want it any other way."
"Thank you, I'll let the Companies all know, if you need anything just call. The notice will be in the paper tomorrow. Is there anything else I can do for you?"
“No, not right now. I’ll be in to work the day after the funeral.”
“Jessie, I really think you need to take the time off. Lets get through the funeral then see how you feel.”
“Okay, but I think I’ll lose it if I have to stay in this house day after day.” They discussed the viewing times and then the phone line was so quiet.
“I’ll help any way I can. Call me if you need to.”
Hanging up the phone she looked around, she had a job to do, so now she did it. Four hours later everyone she could think of had been notified. Food had been prepared and put in the refrigerator for her to eat, the women had all gone home. Lying down on the couch she fell asleep. When she woke up, it was dark outside. Turning on the news she froze, Howard’s picture flashed across the screen. Hitting the power button she threw the remote across the room and turned on the radio. Every song reminded her of Howard. The radio was turned off and she sat in silence, then she paced the floor.
**********************************************

Howard was walking around the living room. She looked so sad she was so alone. Why didn’t she call Jeff over? “Jessie you should be surrounded by friends.” He wanted to let her know he still loved her. “I’m right here, what can I do to let you know I care?” Jason could help her. “Jessie I know why you wouldn’t marry me. I know you love me, but I can’t come back. Your time of being a lone has to end.” Howard closed his eyes, and he was gone.
************************************************

Walking in circles was just starting to make her dizzy. She had to find something to focus on. The ringing of the telephone stopped her.
"Hello?"
"Jess, I love you."
"Who is this?"
"Jess I love you."
Jessie hung up the phone, it had sounded like Howard, but Howard was dead. Picking the phone back up she called Jeff.
"Hello?" Jeff sounded tired and she felt guilty for bugging him.
"Jeff, its Jessie." She tried to hide the fear from her voice.
*******************************
"How are you doing?" Something wasn’t right and he knew it. He reached for his boots and started to put them back on.
"I'd be doing better if someone would quit crank calling me." She was loosing it, and he knew he was the only one she would let see her loss of control.
"What do you mean?" Jeff motioned to Karol to get her shoes on.
"I just got a phone call, it sounded like Howard, saying he loved me." What kind of sick fool would put Jessie through this?
"Do you want to come stay with us tonight?" Karol had her shoes on and was standing close enough to hear the fear in Jessie’s voice.
"No, do you think you and Karol could come over for awhile?" He was already reaching for his keys on the counter.
"Yeah, we'll be there in just a few minutes." Karol took his hand and held it tight.
"Thank you."
Maybe tonight was the night she would realize why she always knew she could count on him. He had waited for so long for Jessie to remember who he really was. She had to remember on her own, he couldn’t force it. The doctors at the hospital had warned him. He had to let it come back to her on her own. Jeff said a prayer. Please let her remember me.
********************************************
Hanging up the phone she went into her kitchen to make a pot of coffee. Hearing a noise coming from her bedroom, she placed the coffee filters on the counter next to the empty pot and went to check it out. There was nothing there. Damn! Whoever it was that made that phone call had her jumping at everything. Looking in the closet and under the bed a few more times she reassured herself there was nothing here to be afraid of. Walking back in the kitchen a few minutes later to finish making the pot of coffee she stopped dead in her tracks. The coffee was made and already poured with cream and sugar in it. Looking around, she checked the kitchen door it was locked. If Jeff and Karol didn't get here soon she was going to go insane.
*************************************

Howard knew he had frightened her. He just wanted to somehow show her he was there. He hadn’t left her, not yet there was still so much for him to do. Jason wasn’t helping. It had been so long since he had put his thoughts into his brother’s mind. He couldn’t make it work.
***************************************

When the doorbell rang, Jessie turned on every light in the house and ran to the door. She was crying by the time she opened it and Jeff caught her as she started to faint. Jeff carried her to the couch and laid her down.
Karol went and got a glass of water for Jessie. Slowly coming to and looking around her house she felt really stupid. If she told them what had been happening, they would drive her straight to the funny farm.
"I'm sorry. I don't normally faint so easily." She felt so stupid.
"When was the last time you fainted?" Jeff was watching her way too closely.
"Never." She sat up slowly
"Jessie, have you had anymore phone calls?" She could tell Jeff was really worried about her.
"No, but if you two promise not to think I'm crazy something else happened." She looked at Jeff he was going to call the guy’s in white jackets. She couldn’t go back there.
"What?" He watched her, knowing he wasn’t going to like what he heard.
"I was making coffee and I heard a noise in the bedroom, when I went to check it out, nothing was there. I came in to finish making the coffee, but a cup was already waiting for me." On no, Jeff had that look.
" Maybe you were so tired you forgot you poured it."
“Jeff the pot was empty, I hadn’t even made it yet.” Yep the guy’s in the white jackets were on the way.
Karol made a gasping sound and drew the attention off of her. Turning to look at Karol Jessie noticed her face was as white as a ghost. Jeff looked at his wife and asked her, "What's wrong with you?"
"I just saw Howard walk into the bedroom." Karol had goose bumps appear on her arms, and the hair on the back of her neck was standing on end.
*******************************************
"What!" Jeff looked from his wife to Jessie and though this was contagious. Maybe there was a carbon monoxide leak causing them to hallucinate
"Jeff I swear I just watched Howard walk into that room." Karol was pointing towards the bedroom door.
"Are you both going nuts on me?" He wanted to get them both out of the house now.
"Go check out the bedroom." Looking at both of the women like they were nuts, he went and checked out the room anyway. He didn't find anything.
"Let's go sit in the kitchen and drink some coffee and see if we can figure this out." It was almost comical the way Jessie and Karol stayed right behind him.
Even Jeff could not come up with an explanation of what they found next. The table had four cups of coffee sitting in saucers, like Howard would always set them. They had always laughed at him for being so proper.
Jeff felt the hair stand up on the back of his neck. "Jess, please tell me you did this."
"Jeff, I wish I could. Get me out of this house please."
*****************************************************
They were all surprised when Karol stopped them from leaving. "Wait, if Howie is here he is trying to tell us something."
"What do you mean?" Jeff looked like he was about to kill his wife.
"What did the voice on the phone say?"
"It said I love you." Jessie felt stupid now it wasn’t like it was a threat.
"Maybe Howard was afraid you didn’t know he loved you?" She could tell Karol was trying hard to make sense of this.
"I’ve never doubted his love." Jess turned her eye’s up towards the heavens.
"Don't be afraid of him. If he calls ask him what he wants." Karol put her arm around her.
"I don't believe in ghost’s Karol." She looked towards Jeff to see what his take on all this was. Then Karol added.
"You don't have to, just listen next time."
Jessie walked over to the table sat down, picked up her coffee. "Just the way I like it." Karol sat down next, Jeff was the last to finally quit looking all around him and sit down.
"Jess, I'm going to be driving the truck carrying the coffin Wednesday, do you want to ride with me?"
"I wouldn’t have it any other way. Will you both be at the viewing tomorrow night?" Jessie got up and placed some cookies on the table.
"Of course. You know we loved you both" Jeff looked hurt that she had asked the question, as he reached for the cookie plate. She didn’t want to hurt him.
"I could use someone to go with me tomorrow morning to take his clothes to them and make sure he looks okay."
"Jessie, you know I don't work, I'll come by and pick you up, and we'll go together in my car." Karol took a cookie too.
"Thanks Karol. I need to go through some of his boxes tonight do you two mind staying for awhile?"
"Where are the boxes?" Jeff polished off his cookie and stood up.
"In the top of the closet in the bedroom, they have his name on them. He has the information on his will, and Insurance policy, and some other stuff he said I would need if anything ever happened to him."
Jeff went into the bedroom and pulled the boxes down for her. They sat in the middle of the living room floor and went through them. The first thing she found was a letter addressed to her.

Dear Jessica,
If you are reading this letter than I am dead. I never wanted to leave you. I will miss your deep blue eyes and wonderful smile. My regret is that we never married, how do I know this? I would have torn up this letter and written a new one. Jess, you’re strong, you’re going think you have nothing left to fight for. You are alive so act like it. Don't let anyone cry over my death. I bet Jeff and Karol are sitting in the middle of the living room floor while you’re reading this. I always knew you could count on them. I love you and I always will. Know this, I am close by. I will always watch over you. The time I spent with you was the best times of my life. I’ve kept something from you for the past four years please forgive me. You will need to contact my attorney Mr. Jason Diamond. He is my brother as well as my attorney. Jess you will never need anything again, I have a lot of money, and I have left it all to you. Please don't hate me for not telling you, as soon as you had said you would marry me I would have told you. For the last time my love, I love you

Love always,


Jacob Howard Diamond

Jessie looked at Jeff. "Did you know about this?"
He had a blank look on his face. "No, I didn't know anything, I met him at the same time you did." Jessie found a business card in the envelope, it had Howard’s brother’s phone number on it. She dialed the office number knowing that an answering service would answer.
"Diamond Law Office." It was one of those nasal voices all answering service’s seemed to have.
"Hello, I need to speak to Mr. Jason Diamond" Jessie was trying to keep her voice strong but this was a big shock.
"He's out of the office, you can call back tomorrow." That voice was getting real annoying.
"This is an emergency, I need to talk to him tonight."
"What's it regarding?"
"His brother, Jacob."
"Your name?" It sounded like maybe she had interrupted the lady’s favorite show or something.
Giving her all the information she needed Jessie hung up the phone and waited for the call back. She was pacing the floor when the phone rang. She walked slowly to the phone, she had a feeling her life was about to change. "Hello?" She wanted to hang up the phone
"Jessie, when did he die?" This voice sounded like Howard, but it was angry.
"How did you know?" She couldn’t keep the sound of wonder out of her voice.
"He said he wouldn't tell you about me until you agreed to marry him or until he died. Since it's not him calling, I know he's dead."
"I'm sorry, he died last night, he was in an accident, I didn't know about you or I would have called last night." She knew his family would hate her for allowing the doctors to remove the machines.
"That's okay. It wasn’t your fault you didn’t know about us. When is the funeral?" He sounded so lonely, like his world had ended.
"Day after tomorrow, the viewing is tomorrow night." She reached for Jeff’s hand for support.
"I'll be in on the first flight out I can get. The rest of our family will be in for the funeral and the reading of his will. Can I reach you at this number tomorrow?" His voice had a strong accent. It was low and raspy. She had a sudden urge to know more about Howie.
"Yes, where are you all from?"
"Texas, a little town called Fredericksburg."
"I never knew that."
"There's a lot you don't know but will, I'll contact you as soon as I get in."
"I'm sorry about your brother. I loved him a lot."
"I know. He loved you also."

Hanging up the phone she looked at Jeff, "He not only has a brother, but an entire family. I know he had his reasons, but I feel lied to."
"Jess, listen to his brother before you get angry." Jeff had put his arms around her.
"You know, I'm really starting to get tired now. You two can go home, I'm not afraid anymore."
"Jeff let's get home, Jess, if you need anything just call."
"I will."

She walked them to the door, and said goodnight, then went in and lay down on the bed, she could smell Howard on the pillows and sheets, and she could also feel his arms around her. “Oh Howie, you couldn’t have loved me and kept all this from me. If you truly loved me you would have told me the truth.” She closed her eyes and went to sleep.

“Jessie, I’m right here holding you, can you feel my arms? I know you can. I’m sorry for not telling you about my life. I had my reasons. I’m sure Jason will tell you everything. You have to believe I love you I’ve never meant to lie to you. I’ll just lie next to you, I’ll stay with you until I can find away for you to hear me, see me, know I haven’t left you.”
© Copyright 2006 takingachance (luv2dispatch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1117078-Jessicas-Haunting-Chapter-2