*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1117284-The-Ride
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest · #1117284
Short Story contest entry- 'travelling on horseback'
The road stretched out, hidden beneath thick mist. The morning air burnt her lungs with its damp chill. Birds called from the trees that stood sentinel, passively watching all who passed.

Everything whirled before her in a dizzying blur, as she galloped along the road, desperately attempting to outride what chased her. Her horse’s hooves beat the track mercilessly, an endless rhythm that pierced her core. She leaned forward, willing him on, silently pleading and begging and screaming for him to move faster.

Adrenaline and fear ran through her veins, a giddy mix that set her body on fire.

His breathing was heavy, misting into little clouds as the air chilled it. The bit lathered in his mouth and every movement of his head sent white spittle flying. Her grip on the reigns was tight; her hands ached, the skin worn away. But she wouldn’t let go.

Her heart worked like an insane anvil, the palpitations wracking her chest so that she could barely breathe. Her blonde hair had once been exquisitely curled; now the straggled strands clung to her neck with sticky sweat.

She imagined that she heard the thunder of pursuit behind her, and fought the urge to turn. Again, she heard it, feeling the panic in her chest leap like a fanned flame. A sob escaped her lips, and in a moment of terrified weakness, she turned in the buffed saddle, and desperately searched the road behind her.

Four horsemen, their faces dark and determined, bearing down on her like devils from her deepest nightmare.

In that moment, she felt choked by cold despair.

But her left foot slipped out of its stirrup, dragged her back to reality. She grabbed the front of the saddle to reclaim her balance, but felt herself falling even faster. She held on with impossible strength, feeling the world spin and lurch as she fought to maintain that grip.

She looked up, and felt horror contort her face, snatching away her breath.
She didn’t even have time to think, as her horse stumbled over a fallen branch. She felt the wind in her hair as her mount somersaulted through the air, screaming in pain.

He landed on top of her, ending the fear, the flight.

Her empty eyes stared up at the blue skies, glazed and lifeless.



Word count= 386

© Copyright 2006 randomangel (randomangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1117284-The-Ride