*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1118374-Are-You-Bored
Rated: 13+ · Article · Emotional · #1118374
a reflection on how to overcome boredom
http://www.angelosubida.com

Bored!

Boredom can be a boring topic. But in our modern life, it's one of the major and frequent sources of people's misery. People may do get bored with whatever they're doing or having, such as in work, marriage, family, studies, business, church, among others.

Believe me, I know how it is to be bored. Somewhere down the road, I tried out a number of things in my life, found some that fit me, and that I was good at them. But for some strange reason, at some point, I would get bored. And I didn't know what else to do!

When allowed to prolong, boredom can have serious repercussions. For example, there was one "rich kid" (son of a politician) in our country who fired gunshots indiscriminately in a crowded mall area. According to him, he was just trying to escape boredom!

Some young people drop out of school due to boredom. Others engage in violence, drugs, crime, and sexual promiscuity. Believing what they feel as boring, pointless lives, they trap themselves in a world of darkness. All they succeed in doing is compounding their problem.

So, you see, something as innocent as boredom can have deadly consequences if it is not properly dealt with!

Now, let me start the ball rolling by giving you 3 things to remember when you experience boredom. When you feel the pang of boredom, it is a signal to stop and think about how to deal with these 3 things in your life.

First, boredom is usually an absence of CHALLENGE. It is human nature to survive and thrive on challenges. Once you start providing challenge or creativity into your present circumstances, the boredom will dissipate.

For instance, in my case, I love to walk. However after some time, just walking and watching those around me may soon get boring. But what if I decide to write something about a tree or pond I saw along the way? Perhaps it would challenge me to find ways to talk to a stranger. Yes, once I do these, there's no way to get bored! Indeed, what is boredom, but a cry for change, creativity, and challenge?

Second, boredom may also arise due to too much SELF PREOCCUPATION. I remember a singer long ago which composed a song with a line that says, "Somebody's boring me ... I think it's me!" Boredom is essentially consuming all your time with thoughts and feelings about your self. It's time to direct your attention outside of yourself and get involved with other people.

I know of an 80-year-old doctor who still volunteers in medical mission field trips. According to him, if he sits around the house when he's still capable of being out contributing to life, he'd die. Learn from this doctor.

And third, a secret cure for boredom is knowing deeply one's PURPOSE IN LIFE. Life is not about an endless quest for pleasure or comfort, but a reason for living. Would life ever be free from boredom? I think not! There still would be issues that transcend life on earth. Where will you go after death? What is your purpose for doing what you're doing before you expire? Does your life count?

Maybe you are like that one I know. Before becoming a Christian, to escape boredom, he would switch from one bar to another during the nights after work. Later he found lasting freedom from boredom when he became at peace with God, resting in His eternal promises. He made substantial and meaningful changes in his life, including replacing his nightlife with night bible studies and outreach to people. Now he leads an exciting life for he found what life is really all about.
© Copyright 2006 ANGELO SUBIDA (angelosubida at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1118374-Are-You-Bored