*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1118511-Humbleness-and-Happiness
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Sci-fi · #1118511
The prologue describing one race of a sci-fi novel
This is the prologue of a sci-fi/fantasy novel I am writing. It describes and characterises the main race of the story.

PROLOGUE:

Humbleness and Happiness,
By Lifstone, Protector of Good

This story, though epic and extraordinary in the power and life at stake, is concerned foremost with a task entrusted by God with one of a contented, kind and modest people with simple pleasures, whom I shall tell you all about: the Men of Domigethin.

The Men of Domigethin dwell near the Southern Coasts and are more widely known as ‘Gethies’, particularly among themselves and those that know them best. Although having said that there are very few outsiders who can really call themselves friends, as the Gethies are extremely wary of any intruders.

You could count on one hand the number of foreigners who could travel through Domigethin without getting driven out forcefully or, at the very least, treated with an acute distrust. I am, I’m pleased to say, one of the lucky few outsiders truly welcomed into Domigethin, having maintained an ancient and admiring relationship with the wonderfully generous and honest Gethies.

Gethies are probably the most secluded of all races of Men on Earth, physically and politically, as the Gethies do their best to keep well out of any conflicts so long as their homeland is not threatened. This is partly due to their underestimation of their capabilities, but more likely to be because of their love of good old peace and quiet.

This relaxed let-them-get-on-with-it attitude is probably because of their physical seclusion from the bitter wars between the more power hungry civilizations – in fact the Gethies have been so distant from the politics in the North they have been almost forgotten by much of the world.

There are marked differences between all races of Men on Earth, but the Gethies are possibly the most contrasted. They are shorter than most – it’s extremely rare to find a Gethie reaching six feet, most are barely taller than five feet. They are also stockily built and have slightly oversized heads and hands, although I have had many a debate with Gethies who believe that they’re not stumpy – everyone else is just lanky.

I should also tell you about their homeland, Domigethin. It is in the South of the Great Continent, with magnificent cliffs overlooking the ‘Bottomless Ocean’. The vast majority of Gethies live by the sea and a home overlooking the sea is highly valued. Envy of those with a beautiful sea view is one of the few causes of hostility between these peace-loving people.

A small proportion (called the Durfies) live further inland, but only the ones that arrived in Domigethin too late to find an unoccupied spot near the sea. The Durfies are more vulnerable to attack so a few guard stations and patrols are posted around the borders, but they aren’t expected to be needed for any purpose other than to ward off suspicious looking wanderers.

However, when a more dangerous threat is unearthed, a threat which concerns the safety of Domigethin and its people, anyone who can possibly hold an axe or crossbow will passionately defend to the death, such is their stoical love of their home.

Fortunately Domigethin can handle attacks from the small barbarian tribes camped around the borders, but the Gethies rightly realise morale and determination would not be enough to defeat the expertly drilled legions of Ziddenham or the massed hordes of bloodthirsty Devokin, two of the large evil armies of the North.

Gethies are supremely proud of their homes too, though you certainly wouldn’t think it to look at them. Small, square terraced houses on narrow cobbled streets filled with all varieties of clutter, junk and collectibles. In fact, the stone buildings look so much like the ground they’re built on you’d be forgiven for thinking they’re just raised blocks of cobbled pavement.

All the buildings are filled with many secret cellars, cupboards and passageways in which yet more clutter is stored. Outside, Gethies grow glorious gardens with all kinds of colourful flowers, fountains, plants and rockeries. When not fishing or sleeping you’ll most likely find a Gethie lovingly tending to glorious blooms of orchids and sunflowers.

On the subject of fishing, it is one of the most important parts of a Gethie’s life. They seldom use any kind of currency, preferring instead to trade items, and fresh fish is surely the most tempting bargaining tool available. Fishing is done for food, fun and as I just said, as the main means of a currency, so is very central to Domigethin culture. I for one am almost invariably presented with a fishy feast every time I set foot in a Gethie friend’s household, something I do as often as I can.

Other contributors to their seclusion from the world are their love of routine and reluctance to venture far from home, even to fish. One example of their routine, which I should tell you about as it is central to Domigethin life, is the Chuffa. Chuffa occurs every Thursday afternoon when the Gethie men go to weekly arms training, when the women trade every piece of furniture, crockery or any kind of junk they can find - basically anything they don’t want any more. The outcome is a chaotic race to get the best bargains on offer to take pride of place on the mantelpiece. At least that is until they find an even better bargain, which usually happens at the next week’s Chuffa. Within a year most tables, tea sets and toothbrushes has been a Gethie’s prized possession for at least a week.

You already now know more than most about the Gethies, although there is still much to learn about this delightful, gentle and selfless yet passionate line of men, whom I will always love deeply.
© Copyright 2006 gotta_hope (gotta_hope at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1118511-Humbleness-and-Happiness