*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1119864-Random-T-Storms-volume-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1119864
Decided to split it into smaller segements. this is part 2 as the title says. More to come
II. Hybrids and Hierarchy


         Yal knelt at a stream, taking a drink. A miserable blood-caked face stared at him from the water’s surface. The young wolf closed his eyes to ignore his reflection. Even several yards away, Yal could hear his pack enjoying the prey he’d recently taken out. A distinct howl filled the night air piercing every eardrum for miles. Yal gritted his teeth, hearing the victorious roar of his alpha who could only succeed at taking over after the work was done. But what could an omega do?

         Vishen was the biggest. Vishen ate the most. Vishen was ruthless, so Vishen was the alpha. Yal was the youngest, Yal was the best hunter. Yal got the food, the pack ate it. Yal’s job was the honor of the first bite. This was the only flesh he got at a meal. This kept him the smallest and thus, the omega. You don’t just leave a pack that depends on you, especially when they can stop you by force. Vishen was manipulative like that. The Omega strode away from the stream, starving, as usual. Sometimes he’d find a small animal to feed upon while his pack ate the main course. Yal sniffed the air. Tonight there was a cat nearby.

         Ritico looked up. The moon was a bit dim tonight. The cat shivered as the south winds blew by. He didn’t want to be out, but he couldn’t exactly say ‘no’ to Siiva. Apparently they were closing in on grizzly territory. A low growl caused the cat to freeze in his tracks. So fast… and right behind… Ritico spun around to come face to face with his immediate danger. A wolf thinner than Siiva uncontrollably wagged it’s tail as it drooled. The growling came from the wolf’s stomach. The chase ended before it started.

         Yal grimaced at his actions. He hated this part of his life more than his role as omega. Feeding on the weaker so he could work for the stronger. Yal despised his appetite. As he ran into an abandoned cave, Yal noticed something wrong. He hadn’t killed or injured the cat yet, but it wasn’t resisting either. He could feel it breathing through his teeth, but that was it. Stopping at the end of the cave, Yal dropped the cat in front of him and sat, curious.

“What’s your problem?” Ritico spoke before he could stop himself.

“You look hungry enough to eat a panther.”

         Yal was confused. The cat wasn’t provoking him, nor did it sound like he’d resigned himself to his death, either.

“I…am hungry.” Yal shoved the cat on his back and bit his tail, trying to fit into his part as a predator. The cat tasted funny, though. Yal turned him over and sniffed his chest.

         Ritico swatted the wolf’s nose away.

“If you not satisfied, go get a rabbit!” Ritico stood up, a defiant look on his face. Yal pinned Ritico to the ground and bit the cat’s ear. The taste of flesh fresh in his mouth, Yal quickly covered Ritico’s mouth to prevent the cat from serenading him with cries of anguish.

         Ritico recoiled in shock. He’d waited for this moment for years, the time when he would be put out of his suffering. However, the anticipation, he now knew was much more enticing than the execution, and fear gripped the feline.

“Back off.”

         Yal’s attention turned to the deer carcass now at the entrance of the cave. A she-wolf about his age stood over it, tail erect.

“Seven-pound kitten or seventy-pound venison. Your choice.” The she-wolf was rather attractive, bloody fangs and all.

“Siiva!”

         Yal looked down to find the cat scurrying away from him. He slammed his paw on its tail, pulling his prey closer. He didn’t trust the she-wolf.

“There’s nothing wrong with this.” Siiva continued, taking a bite out of the deer. She slung the body closer to Yal. “But that one’s mine. I marked him. Can’t you smell it?”

         Yal frowned, considering the trade. What was this cat to the she-wolf?

“You want food, don’t you? Or is it that you have a grudge against Ritico?” the she-wolf inched closer. Yal, feeling threatened, gripped the cat by the throat, stopping the she-wolf’s advance. There was genuine concern in her eyes now, which was slowly turning into rage. The last thing Yal wanted was a fight with a she-wolf he didn’t even know. He loosened his grip on the cat just enough for it to back away from him. Yal watched as the she-wolf inspected the cat’s fresh wound and diverted his eyes.

“Honestly, kiddo, you find everything but bears!” the she-wolf commented as she led the cat away from the cave. Yal swallowed the lump in his throat and spoke before he could stop himself.

“I’d waste the leftovers if you left.” He managed.

         The she-wolf stopped and smirked.

---


         Ritico awoke to the now familiar sound of a wolf’s stomach growling. He was still sleepy and decided to ignore his alpha’s noise. Siiva had been particularly active these days feeding voraciously to get ready for the winter. The cat felt a cold sensation on his back and groaned as he opened his eyes.

         Siiva smiled as she nudged Ritico with her muzzle, rolling the cat a few feet until he jumped up. Sometimes it was the only way to stir the feline. Noticing Ritico’s annoyed look, Siiva licked his face and shot him a toothy grin to remind the cat of what she was.

         Ritico was usually intimidated by this, but he swatted Siiva’s muzzle away and assumed his previous position.

“You can’t threaten to eat me every time you want something, ya know.”

         The she wolf snorted and bit the air in front of Ritico. Flecks of saliva hit the cat’s face. Ritico looked at his alpha, disgusted.

“Where’s Yal?” Siiva ventured.

“Dunno. I’ve only been here an hour and he was gone when I came in. Felt like he’d just left, though. Probably the other side of the forest to get some food.”

         Siiva grinned. Yal was private about his hunting style and hated to share his quarry. He’d joined the two only a month ago and wasn’t used to social graces, considering the way Vishen used to treat him. Siiva licked Ritco a second time and patted him on the back.

“Hop on. We’re not gonna eat for a while and I found an unmarked trail going south this morning. We’re gonna have to take it quick before a big pack claims it.”

         Ritico, being in no real position to protest, leaped on the she-wolf’s back and gripped tightly. Winter was coming really soon. A chill went down the cat’s spine. He hated when Siiva went on the hunt.

         Ritico always felt guilty when Siiva found her prey. He had a first person perspective of the entire grisly process and wondered how he could keep an appetite after the procedure was through. This time, Siiva chose a murky lake. Easy pickings, as they would need to save energy. Siiva caught a strong scent to the north and decided to take the scenic route to the aroma. The upwind tactic was a double-edged sword…while it allows for closer chase proximity; the wind resistance slows the pursuer.

“It’s a doe. Let’s take something else.” Ritico whispered when he saw the intended prey.

“There’s nothing else left. I’m a she-wolf so its okay, Rito-chan.”

         Ritico rolled his eyes. Siiva used this nickname for him when she was feeling excited, playful, and violent at the same time. As they got closer to the deer, Ritico noticed why. Siiva was approaching from the only intercept point and consequently, the only escape route not covered by water.

“Carelessness will kill you.” Siiva chuckled to herself, quickening her pace.

         Ritico tried to cover his eyes, but couldn’t. He only hoped that the doe would submit herself to the inevitable before Siiva became mischievous. The doe noticed the she-wolf’s presence just in time to jump in the water and attempt to wade to safety.

“I can swim too!” Siiva sneered as she jumped in after her new prey. Four feet into the lake, the doe went under quickly. Ritico saw a puddle of blood rising in its place and pointed to it.

“Wha-?” Ritico fell off Siiva’s back as the she-wolf headed to the shore. As they gripped dry land, the two saw the doe’s severed head float to the surface. The body was in the coils of a boa. Suddenly a large head emerged from the water as if the snake was the god of the lake. He noticed his audience of two staring at him and grinned, satisfied.

“I’m not hungry just yet.” The constrictor announced. Siiva looked at the snake’s thick coils and glanced around the lake. It had to be thirty- no, forty feet long. Before she could inch away, the constrictor caught her paw with his teeth and dragged her into the water. Siiva could smell Movoi’s scent for a moment, but the frigid water quickly snapped her back into reality. The constrictor dragged her a few feet from the shore then let go. Siiva gasped loudly, sucking in all the air she could as the constrictor’s coils quickly brushed against her body. She knew that when the boa was finished sizing her up it would squeeze and drop into the water for the kill. The she-wolf glanced down. The water was murky so visibility would be out of the question. She expected to feel the boa’s coils wrap around hr upper body, but only felt an occasional brush. Her feet were wrapped tightly, but that was all. Siiva wondered at this and looked at the constrictor, who’s head was still above water. His eyes were closed as if he was concentrating on something. When he finally opened them, the constrictor smiled.

“You almost got me there.” He hissed, backing up.

“You figured that I’d wrap you all the way up so you could bite through me. Smart. You probably could.” The constrictor continued, rising a bit.

“But what happens if I do this?”

         The constrictor yanked on Siiva’s legs, pulling her just below the water’s surface. Siiva stretched a bit, trying to get her nose above water, but the constrictor denied this opportunity, pulling further down. He meant to drown her. Instead of wasting her remaining oxygen struggling, Siiva remained still, waiting to see how long the constrictor could keep this position. Two minutes passed, and Siiva stretched her upper paws above the water. Two more minutes passed. Siiva could feel the constrictor laugh as he pulled her deeper into the lake. Then she heard it. A small splash as Ritico took to the water. Siiva felt the constrictor’s coils brush firmly across her torso. Before she could attempt to bite, the constrictor squeezed tightly. The pain was immeasurable, but Siiva dared not open her mouth, lest the water quicken her death. Suddenly, the she-wolf found herself lying motionless on the ground again, as the constrictor had change his target. It held its victim’s head in it’s jaws.

         All Siiva could do was watch the constrictor playfully wrap Ritico’s entire body. When he was finished, the constrictor smirked at his catch as Ritico struggled to struggle. Siiva looked down. One of her paws was already back in the water. Why was she returning to the snake? She couldn’t save Ritico even if she wanted to. Another paw in the water. The constrictor unhinged its jaws. Ritico’s eyes met Siiva’s. There was a look of sheer terror on the cat’s face as saliva rolled down the sides of his face like tears. Siiva dashed forward in time to scratch the boa as it swallowed her dutiful mark alive.

---


“Siiva…Siiva!”

         The she-wolf turned her head, a familiar pain from a light, but consistent scratching on her back, bringing her back to reality.

“Ritico?”

         The small cat frowned. “You fall asleep or something?”

         Siiva blinked a few times and looked at the doe drinking water. She backed away a few steps. “Let’s get something else for dinner.” She said, slinking away.

---end part 2
© Copyright 2006 Kim Kyo Ti (falseflagger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1119864-Random-T-Storms-volume-2