*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1120749-An-Ordinary-Day
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by tanit
Rated: E · Essay · Biographical · #1120749
The early morning of an ordainary day, sleepy thoughts before breakfast.
This is an ordinary day on my corner of the world. One exactly like millions of others, one that you wouldn´t remember if you weren´t asked to write about. It´s Autumn, I wake up early in the morning and open my window to say good morning to the sea.

And the sea is barely awaken. The waves are still spreading lazily over the sand, stretching out after a long sleep. The sun is starting to rise, unaware that this is a tropical paradise and he´s expected to be up and shinning by 6 am sharp.

I take a deep breath and choke with the taste of salty air. From my place, on the 11th floor of a building, it´s time to start checking if everything around is still the way I left it last night.

Hmmm, yes, the small hill on the right, covered with luxurious green, is still there and I envy lucky ones that live on the big house, solitary among the trees.

On top of the other hill, the tiny 17th century church stands in silence, its pointy towers proudly trying to reach the clouds. On the piedmont, the fortress guards the entrance of the bay.

The chapel, religiously standing on the hill. The fortress, kneeling on the ground, sending unfriendly looks into the horizon, and pointing her cannons to the sea.

In colonial times enemies used to come from the sea. Maybe that´s why this fortress still looks around and sends glances over the bigger one. Looking for support and making sure it´s still there.

Maybe that´s what I am doing myself. Glancing from my window. Reassuring myself that everything it´s Ok and this is only an ordinary day. One I can forget about while I am busy living.

The sun reflects its golden rays over the water. The wind blows and the waves spray drops of crystal over the rocks. A seagull is crying, inviting a friend for a fishing adventure.

The clock strikes seven, it´s breakfast time. I can ignore the clock, but the smell of warm bread lures me in. The telephone rings and daily life starts, as boring as always.

Suddenly the rain is falling. Pouring rain the sun refuses to acknowledge. It keeps stubbornly shinning.

Yes, everything is OK. It´s Autumn and this is just another ordinary day starting.
© Copyright 2006 tanit (tanit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1120749-An-Ordinary-Day