*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1120787-First-Meeting
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Other · #1120787
Your best friends are often the ones you meet early in life.
The teacher announced our names and we moved to our new seats. It was still early in the year in this new school so I didn’t know most of the kids. A few came over from Forest Park but most I hadn’t seen before. Mrs. Claytor called my name and pointed to the two seats at the table in the corner. I headed that way, hoping I would be seated next to someone I knew. Some of the other kids made me nervous. I didn’t think they liked me. I didn’t fit in. Too many new faces in class. The quiet ones were more for me.
I took my seat and felt the excitement in the room. New seating was always a gamble. Your next several weeks could be a lot of fun, or miserable, depending on who you got as an assigned neighbor. Of course you could get stuck next to a geek or a troublemaker. I was hoping for someone nice. Mrs. Claytor called another name. A big girl with red curly hair and glasses headed my way. I didn’t know her but she was not one of the rowdy kids in class. I smiled as she made her way over and took the seat next to me.
I told her my name and she told me hers. We sized each other up and neither seemed to feel a threat from the other seat. We watched the rest of the class take their new seats and settle in. We giggled a bit, chatted a bit, and decided we liked each other. Seventeen years later, Deneen is still my very best friend.
© Copyright 2006 Julieann (julieann110 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1120787-First-Meeting