*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1120999-Fade
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1120999
A normal day? I think not.
“Hey mom.” I said as I made my way to the kitchen.
Not today honey.
“What’s wrong?” Turning the corner to the kitchen I quickly pulled out a chair to sit across from my mom. “Well, what’s wrong?” I asked nonchalantly. My mom just stared at me, the puzzlement in her face started to worry me.
I didn’t say anything was wrong. Do I look worried?
“What are you talking about mom?” I started as I bent down to take off my uncomfortable black boots. “You said, Not today honey. Are you feeling okay?” I looked up at her, feeling her forehead.
“H… honey?” She asked, getting out of her chair and backing away from me, like she would a rabies dog.
“What are you doing?” I screamed in panic. She seemed delirious.
My daughters crazy!” “I… uhh, didn’t say anything,… darling.” She gently placed her small pail hand on my arm. Jerking back I screamed, “I am not crazy!” I ran to my room, slamming my door, trying to figure out what had even happened. my mom was being psycho! Some on knocked on my door, startling me from my trance.
“Baby? Are you okay?”
My mother.
“NO!” I scream, trying to get the point across that I didn’t want to chat.
She can’t be in there all day.
The nerve she had! “You can stop talking about me like I’m not even here!” Opening the door, I glowered at her.
“Honey,” She started, “what can I even say?
“You could say you’re sorry, or explain your stupid little freak show back there in the kitchen! That would be a nice start.” I yelled at her. My anger taking total control.
God, it’s like she friggin’ reading my mind or something!
“Mom, stop being weird, there’s no such thing as mind readers, stop trying to make up explanations for you being weird.”
OH MY GOD! What is she doing? How is she doing that?” She dropped my hand and backed away again, pressing herself against the wall. When my mom said that I noticed something, I should have noticed before. Her mouth wasn’t moving.
“Mom?” I was almost hyperventilating. “Wh… what’s happening to me?” It came out barley audible, even after trying to level my voice, I could hardly speak. That exact moment, right as the world felt like it was crumbling down around me, it hit me. Hard.
“Mom.” I was on the edge of hysteria. “Mom! I… I’m… I can read minds!” The mixed feeling were unbearable. I couldn’t think. I was almost at hysteria. I could feel it, edging closer. I was going to fall, I was going to pass out, I grabbed hold of mom, she moved to the side, making sure I didn’t touch her. I could hardly see. Suddenly my mom started yelling, “NO! You are not! There’s another explanation! You are not,… physic!” She spit out the last word, like venom. I crawled back, I had never seen my mom like this before.
“Get out! Get out of my house! God, will never have mercy on your soul! Let the devil have you! You sin, my child! YOU SIN!” She grabbed my arm, and lifted me up, once I had got my balance, she slapped me, pushing me down the stairs to the door. “Get. Out. You. DEMON!” She slammed the large wooden door in my face.
That was the last time I saw my mother. My last image. her, screaming, crying, the door in my face, the sting of slap. Then there was me, sobbing, unable to fight back, unable to even move. This is my story, my screwed childhood, my ruined adulthood. And now, I lie here, on my death bed telling the one story I never got to tell. The one secret I kept.
That’s amazing. I wish I could read minds.” “Thank you sir. This will be in the magazine next week. Front page.” The young reporter smiled at me. And I couldn’t resist, laughing as I looked up at her.
“It is amazing, but no. No, you really don’t want to read minds.” The surprised and extremely satisfied look on her face, was the last thing I saw, as I faded from that world. Faded, from existence.
© Copyright 2006 Jamie Lynn (jamieawesome at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1120999-Fade