*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1121150-Sacrifice
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Death · #1121150
This is a short story I wrote based on a dream I had awhile ago.
I arrived at school, an acquaintance of mine who had spoke of bringing guns to school and killing everyone had apparently chosen today as that day. He carried two duffle bags, what he had promised would be a sure omen of such an event. I immediately turned away before he saw me. I ran to one of my other groups of friends, with one person I held closer than the rest in the group. I arrived at our usual meeting spot, but I was too late! They had already disbanded that group and headed separate directions. I ran through the school, to warn them of the event to come!
Finally, I had warned everyone in my circle of friends, except one person. As I ran up the stairs the bell rang, and so too did the first shots ring out. My heart raced, I must warn her! I scolded myself for not being faster and thinking quicker under this pressure, and finding everyone sooner. I arrived inside her first period class, just as the lock-down was announced.
I looked around the room, to find that only two other people were in it, her and the teacher. The teacher hastily ran to lock the door as he heard the shots coming closer. Just as the teacher got to the door and pulled out his keys, several shots rang out. The teacher fell to the ground, a bloody mess, hardly recognizable as his face was literally blown off. My mind raced, Why did I stay? I could have easily avoided this entire incident! I turned, and looked at her; I had wanted to save her the most. I couldn't however, as I did not know where to find her before, only once school had started. I realized with in an instant of seeing her scared expression why I was risking my neck for her. I pulled her to the ground, and embraced her tightly, putting her head down so her body would--hopefully--be protected by mine. I heard shots rang out, at first the pain was beyond what I had expected, and then my brain became numb to it all. I heard him turn away, I examined her with what little energy I had left, and saw that she was uninjured. I smiled, for I had saved her.
There I laid; bleeding a large amount of my own blood had spilled onto her, my only thought at the time was her safety. I slumped over and whispered "I love you."
After saying this, I couldn't tell. Was I breathing? Was I alive? Was I dead? In my delusions I found myself wondering what it would be like to die. Does one just cease to exist? Do we even exist? What is existence? Will I be seeing 'God' soon?
My thoughts continued chaotically for what seemed like forever, which in fact were only moments as I found out later. I blacked out, not thinking, not worrying, she was safe after all.
I awoke, and immediately closed my eyes to protect myself from the bright light. Within my small glimpse I began to turn the wheels in my brain, where was I? I dared try to catch another glimpse, opening my eyes slower this time. I was in the hospital, but who could've--would've-- brought me here? I turned my head, slowly feeling a stiffness in my neck--no, my entire body. There she was, asleep on the side of my bed. I could see what seemed to be the remnants of tears on the small wooden desk her head was laid on. My brain suddenly awoke to my body's condition. I flinched, and almost yelled out.
My face was screwed up because of the pain I felt. Then I felt something else. I could feel her hand touch me. My mind was still slowly adjusting to the pain, bringing it under control to ignore it. My breathing was heavy, and my body felt weak. I opened my eyes, and did my best to smile at her. Unexpectedly, she slapped me and yelled "You had me worried sick!" Before I could even try to react, she had me in a tight embrace, she felt me flinch in pain again and quickly let go.
"I'm sorry-" she was interrupted by others at the door. The rest of my friends, bearing gifts, flowers, and get-well-soon cards, each wanting to express their gratitude. Then more people came in, people I only vaguely recognized. They too wanted to thank me; apparently those that I told had spread the word.
"How long have I been asleep?" I asked, not feeling the least bit tired--just sore.
"About a week, and she's been in here every day." One of my close friends was quick to answer, motioning to the girl whom I had saved. "I'd say you got pretty unlucky though, two deaths and one injured."
I looked at him questioningly. "The shooting was stopped right after he left that hallway."
After a half hour, only she and I remained. She asked quietly "Why did you stay? You could've saved yourself, and not have been here, in this hospital. You wouldn't have any of these injuries."
I spoke softly, grabbing her in a soft embrace whining slightly in pain. "I'd take the hospital any day, then to attend your funeral. Besides, didn't I tell you before I passed out?"
She smiled, and said "No, you just grumbled something." She was an awful liar I thought, I knew she was joking.
None-the-less, I humored her and whispered into her ear "I love you."
"I know, I love you too." she called back.
© Copyright 2006 okronoss (okronoss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1121150-Sacrifice