*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1121804-Flyin-High
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ashley
Rated: E · Other · Biographical · #1121804
Account of when my sister and I flew above our university with my sister's professor.
It was a hot, sunny morning on May 4, the first day of finals. It was definitely not a day conducive to studying or taking exams. Therefore, my sister, fellow fourth-year College student Kira Mayo, and I planned a morning endeavor with Mike Wormington, Kira's professor of cell biology.

Our agenda included flying 2,500 feet above University Grounds in a Cessna airplane. While Kira and I are student pilots who need about five more hours of flying time in order to get a private pilot's license, Wormington is an experienced pilot who has logged about 230 hours.

The undying urge to learn to fly is what compelled Wormington, Kira and I to get a private pilot's license. Although none of us were planning to become professional pilots, we all felt that getting a pilot's license would grant us a great sense of achievement. For Wormington, flying was just something that seemed natural for him to learn.

"I always wanted to do it," Wormington said. "My dad and both my uncles flew during World War II and afterwards. My cousin graduated from the Air Force Academy -- he just retired as a general."

Although Kira and I have no relatives who are pilots, the urge to fly was just as great. We began attending an aviation school in South Florida during the summer before our first year at the University. It had always been a dream of ours to experience the freedom and thrill of flying a plane all by ourselves.

"Taking off by yourself is a very unique feeling, unlike any other," Kira said. "And, of course, landing is a great feeling because you know you've just accomplished something few people ever get a chance to do in their lifetime."

The freedom of flying is also one of the principal reasons why Wormington continues to fly.

"The freedom is what I enjoy most about flying," Wormington said. "You're relaxed, but you're concentrated at the same time. It is very satisfying to be able to do certain things very well. It is a great way to take a break from teaching and research."

But flying is not simply a hobby that you can easily pick up. Kira and I spent the entire summer training long hours to study for the exam and are required to log sufficient flying time. Yet, we still have about five hours left to reach the minimum of 40 hours needed. Although learning to fly a plane requires a lot of work, Wormington, Kira and I feel it's all worth the while.

"It is a very challenging activity to learn," Wormington said. "I wouldn't call it just a hobby -- it requires a lot of commitment, it deals with a lot of math and technical skills, it requires a lot of discipline, but it is also very satisfying. And it's fun."

It comes as no surprise that Wormington has had some priceless moments during his years of flying. He was quick to answer, however, that his most memorable experience occurred when he went to England in 1998 for an air show.

"The neatest flight I've ever taken was in a biplane in England," Wormington said. "Basically, all of the planes we fly have enclosed cockpits so you really don't discern the sense of speed, even when flying a slow trainer. In contrast, flying over the Cambridgeshire countryside in a 1930s era Tiger Moth biplane was a revelation. Feeling the wind in your face and hearing it through the wires, you could sense every change in direction, attitude and airspeed much more readily than in a Cessna."

Even Kira and I, as student pilots, have had memorable experiences. My highest accomplishment was when I safely and successfully landed the plane after completely shutting off the engine 1,000 feet above the ground. Although this stunt, which was done with my aviation professor, was merely a drill, it taught me that I knew how to safely land the plane even if the engine fails.

Kira's accomplishment, I must say, is much more interesting. It came on the day of her first solo flight. Although she took off under sunny skies, a thunder cloud quickly formed over the airport. Instead of moving off to another location, the cloud just grew larger and larger directly over the airport where Kira was to land the plane.

"I absolutely could not see the runway as I approached the landing," Kira said. "But rather than thinking, 'I'm going to die,' I stayed calm and contacted the air control tower. They guided my plane to a safe landing by giving me precise directions. I was amazed that I landed without seeing the runway. It was an awesome way of completing my first solo flight, that's for sure."

Though Kira and I are merely student pilots, Wormington has accomplished even more remarkable feats after years of experience.

"I have one landing for every takeoff," Wormington said jokingly of his proudest accomplishment. "My number of landings equals the number of takeoffs -- a good landing is very difficult and very satisfying."

Wormington has also flown many different planes in his years as a pilot, but there is one plane he would absolutely love to fly if he ever gets the chance.

"A Spitfire, or anything with a Merlin engine," Wormington said. "It is without a doubt the most beautiful airplane ever designed. For a plane that first flew 70 years ago this spring, it still looks amazingly contemporary as it was so far ahead of its time. There are only about 50 of them around the world. If I ever win the lottery, I'm off to the UK to get checked out."

Because learning to fly requires a lot of studying and a lot of training, why should students, who are already bombarded with work, become pilots? If nothing else, flying will certainly set you apart from the rest of your peers.

"Kira is the only student pilot I have ever had in cell biology, and I've been teaching it since 1992," Wormington said. "I love taking students up. It gives them a new perspective on U.Va. and Grounds."

Kira and I also appreciated the unique perspective of the University. We saw Monticello, the Lawn, the baseball and football stadiums and the Corner from 2,500 feet above the ground. But, because Kira and I are members of the University's women's golf team, the most interesting sight was the bird's eye view of Birdwood, the golf course we play at nearly every day.

Flying is a unique experience that Wormington, Kira and I will enjoy for years and years to come. In contrast to what many people believe, flying is actually very safe.

"People need to appreciate that aviation is generally very safe," Wormington said. "Flying is something you can do for the rest of your life."

© Copyright 2006 Ashley (ashleymayo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1121804-Flyin-High