*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1122091-My-New-Life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Kev
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Emotional · #1122091
The meeting of a new father from a needing boy's point of view.
Oh he’s perfect for her

He’s amazing

This is all I heard about the man who would be my Dad. Jon met my magnificent mother one day at second service, and by the time they had finished hymns he had already asked her out, they were practically engaged before communion, and why not, they were already in a church. For two 40 year olds desperate to find love, this may be acceptable but for me the 10 year old it was all way too fast.

When you decide to acquaint a 10 year old with a strange man, I don’t think the best idea is just to drop off the kid. Yet that’s what they did. I slammed the door and I heard my mom’s tires peeling out. So I arrive at the door and in a booming voice I hear someone tell me it’s open.

First impressions are important and we should try to make good ones. However when I walked up the stairs he was sharpening knives.

CHINK CACHINK KANG

He was hunched over pumped those knives with all his might. Is forearms could have competed with Popeye, and the I *Heart* Jesus tattoo eased my fears a little.

As this unusually warm April day began to close, he looked at me with sweat dripping off the last remaining hairs on his head and asked what movie I wanted to watch.

Being asked what movie someone wants to watch doesn’t seem like a big deal, but he knew that it was to me.

Tonight is our night and I am going to let YOU pick the movie.

Jon, like me was the youngest in the family and knew that we have a tendency to strive for attention and control, that’s exactly what I was getting. I smiled. I couldn’t tell for sure but I think his enormous salt and pepper mustache may have snickered back.

Most men might have been intimidated watching a noisy ten year old while his mother is taking a night off and the little boys older sister was closing in on her 6th month in the hospital.

McDonalds and Terminator 2. If he was trying to gain my trust and affection, that was the road to take. Not to mention all that attention didn’t hurt either.
© Copyright 2006 Kev (kevpugs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1122091-My-New-Life