*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1124710-Of-Men-and-Being-Single
by Amihan
Rated: E · Essay · Women's · #1124710
a woman's account of being single and career-oriented
Of Men and Being Single

I often dread the idea of attending weddings and any gathering with my set of friends in high school. They would ask me the question which I REALLY don't like. "So when do we hear from you?" It seems that all they want to hear from me is when am I going to settle down. I mean, is it the only important thing in this world? How do you define a woman's place in the society? Does it makes me less of a woman if I am single and not yet attach to anybody? I grew up in a place where people generally expected you to be married before you reached the age of 30. What about my dreams? This is a cruel world indeed. I find it rude for somebody to ask why am I not married yet. Everybody seems to be in a hurry to join the rush for marriage just because they felt as if they were nearing the often dreaded thirty-something. If it means i would just have to settle for anybody to show the rest of the world that I am actually a complete woman, let them have it.

Before you think that I am raving mad when it comes to tying the knot, listen and please do understand that sometimes there are women who are comfortable with the idea of being single and loving it. I have friends who already tied the knot. I am happy for them and they find themselves in a marital bliss. (I hope so for some.)There's nothing like it. Carrying that lovely and cute baby in your arms.. (I believe I also have some maternal instincts in me. Being happy and contented as a wife. Believe me I am thinking of those things BUT not right now. Some of them would tell me that my biological clock is running and I have to race against time. Okey I get the point but it doesn't makes me unhappy at all. There are a lot of technologies available right now. I just want to enjoy my life as a single individual. Carefree, happy and enjoying every minute of the day.

Once a guy told me that I am a man hater. OOooppsss! Big mistake! Contrary to it, I adore men. You heard me right. I love men. They are such adorable creatures, save for those who thinks that they are God's gift to women. I love my father, there's my big brother,my adorable nephews, my male friends in high school and college, my favorite professor, my soulmates, The Rock and Hugh Jackman. Now who says that I am a man hater? I am not!!! Absolutely! The earth is literally filled with these species and it's hard to ignore them. But it's a different thing when you have to choose someone to love and be with him for the rest of your life. Imagine yourself marrying someone who changes his partner as often as he changes his clothes. How do you feel?

I truly believe that the sexiest part of a man's body is his brain. Nothing more and nothing less. I mean women nowadays should think twice. When i was younger I would go for the looks and the brains. (Come on! This is just for free!) But I guess as I grow a little older and more mature, I begin to prefer someone who is not stuck with his boy-next-door image. Geezzz! It takes more than that to impress a woman. I remember a friend of mine who got pissed off with a guy and told him "You want the truth? It's the thing between your ears not the thing between your thighs that counts! ". Very well said.

I don't root for a drop dead hunk! Though if he has brains then being a hunk is not bad at all. But if it's all muscles and no brains, just testicles to be proud of.... next please. For the meantime I will just read Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

© Copyright 2006 Amihan (river_mist456 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1124710-Of-Men-and-Being-Single