*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1125086-Prologue-for-unnamed-story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Lark
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fantasy · #1125086
prologue to book. plz review!
Prologue

The icy rain pelted down like a shower of silver needles as lightning tore through the sky, ripping the fabric of the night. Standing of the edge of a craggy grey cliff, a man gazed outward over the grassy plain, blue eyes piercing and fierce. His coarse rain cloak was pulled up around his face and he appeared lost in thought.
From the dark trees that clustered thickly around the clearing a woman appeared, a soft bluish-white glow around the ornate golden-handled sword she held. A black surcoat with golden embroidery covered beautiful black and silver armor. Her long blond hair was plastered to her head, a few strands hanging in her startling reddish-brown eyes.
Water trickled from the man’s unruly ebony hair as he continued to stare out at the stormy plain, a small smile flickering over his thin lips. “Arianna. I knew you‘d come eventually,” he said.
“Turn and face me, demon,” she said, her voice strong and melodious. Her grip on the sword tightened.
“Demon?” He turned then, frowning as he took in her drawn sword. Looking at her wistfully, he smiled bitterly. “So…It’s come to this. I thought you’d understand.”
“I understand that you’re a monster. Prepare to meet your fate.” Arianna raised her sword, dropping into a slight crouch.
Slowly the man drew his own sword, an expertly crafted blade, black as the night with blood red runes swimming along the length of it. He looked at her, eyes pleading. “Ari…please don’t do this.”
Coldly she looked back at him. “I must.”
Swiftly they came together, clashing swords ringing through the darkness, movements almost too fast to follow. Catching Arianna off guard, the blue-eyed man swung powerfully at her unprotected neck. Just in time, she brought her sword up, the force of his blow causing pain to shoot through her arm. She gritted her teeth and tried to thrust his blade away. Her lips moved silently and the blade of her sword glowed brighter as power burst from it, causing the man to stumble backwards, nearly falling.
He stood studying her, a small eerie smile stealing across his face. She watched as his eyes went from deep blue to a silver color, light purple around the outside of his irises. A strange laugh barked from his throat. “I see you’re getting better. However, your newfound skill will not save you, young Slayer.” He seemed to have two voices, intermingling to make a truly terrible sound. A dark red fire, the color of fresh blood, ran across his blade.
The woman angled her head, her strange eyes narrowing. “Enough. Let’s finish this.” She raised her blade, her expression challenging.
He rushed at her and immediately they locked blades again, both fighters strangely silent as the sound of clashing steel rang again through the air. Wrenching her blade away, Arianna opened her left side to the demon’s attack. Eagerly he lunged before realizing his mistake. She danced aside, spun, and plunged her blade into his chest.
The man screamed in agony, fingers tugging uselessly at the blade impaling him, eyes wide in shock as a white glow engulfed him. Quickly Arianna took a crystal vial from her pocket and removed the metal stopper. Murmuring with feverish concentration, she watched the light turn black and seep into the bottle. The man’s eyes slowly turned blue and closed. When the last bit was in, she shoved the stopper back in, letting the man fall free of her sword. The wound in his chest closed immediately and he fell limply to the ground, unconscious.
Arianna traced a rune of bluish white fire in the air and spoke a word. With a rush of air the rune grew to become a fiercely whirling portal. Picking up the man, she tossed him in, then sealed the portal before sheathing her sword, packing away the vial, and walking into the trees. Soon the cliff was empty, an abandoned, desolate place, quiet under a curtain of silver rain.
© Copyright 2006 Lark (wintergale at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1125086-Prologue-for-unnamed-story