*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1126954-Upon-waking
by Nova
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Experience · #1126954
A dream I had that I had to write down...creepy crawlies give me shudders...
I woke this morning with a rather nasty dream fresh in my mind...something to do with a competitiveness and this man putting down my swimming abilities because I was a woman and then the dream turning into somethign darker and morbid... I challenged this fellow and tho I suspected he very well may beat me, I wanted to show him that I was confident and that even if I lost...it mattered that I tried. We were at the pool, ready to begin. Yet the lifeguard wouldn't let us begin from the starting blocks, and I knew that with a start from the water, this fellow would definately win, as I my start from the block would be better than his and therefore I would have a chance. So we searched for a place where we could dive in...

Here the dream takes a slight turn...

The man was gone. I was on a hill covered with that spongy green plant stuff that covers the dunes in California. I saw the water below me and I looked to see if this could be a place to dive in. In the water I could see these tubular shapes inching through the water. I paused and when I was thinking about jumping in anyways, I felt a pain on my foot! A horrible burning point of agony. I looked down. On my foot was one of these tubular things...like a maggot but with a circular mouth and little tiny teeth I believe. I flicked it off my foot and felt another one! Again the pain was horrific!! I stepped back after flicking this one off, and saw that all along the hillside were a few of these worm-things inching along...sometimes in the water, sometimes just going with no direction really. Just as I was about to leave that place...I saw three people I knew very well...but I do not recall who they were...only that they were looking for somewhere to dive in as well.

I saw one woman laugh and point to the water before all three dove in feet first...I screamed for them to stop but too late. I ran as fast as I could closer to the water...knowing that the pain my friends would feel fully submerged with these things would be unbearable!

I ran to the water's edge and tho I didn't get bit again I searched for any sign of them resurfacing. I felt so heartsick and furiously thought about what to do. Should I follow? Even at the risk of feeling that agony over my entire body I contemplated it to save my friends. But surely there was a better way...I didn't know if I could function under that duress, even tho if I knew it would save them I would do it.

I saw that there was this large boulder attached to a rope and a pulley...I knew that if I released the the boulder, it would go into the water and hopefully my friends would see the rope and pull themselves to safety...either that or I would go down with the rope and boulder and try to bring them back up..the rope being my lifeline through the pain of the worm-things.

Just as I was about to do just that, i saw this trail of bubbles get bigger...I was about to disregard the rope and the boulder and just dive in to bring them up when the first one came out of the water followed by the other two. I was so relieved and I saw the sucking things and I frantically asked if she was okay and I felt so horrible about the pain they must have been in...the woman turned to me and said 'do not worry...the agony ended as soon as we got these collars..' at this my friend turned and there was this black leather ring around her neck..this choker sank into her flesh a bit, blood dripping around it...I gasped and felt my own neck only to feel the top of my shirt...just as I was about to rip that ring off her, I awoke...



*lately I have been having these vivid dreams with people I know in them...I don't know what they mean...if anything...but they all share the common theme of a chase, or conflict, and feelings of affection for someone...this someone is sometimes someone I know...and sometimes not...

© Copyright 2006 Nova (nova_s at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1126954-Upon-waking