*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1127354-In-The-Afterlife
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Death · #1127354
A young girl remembers her murder.
I'm Rachel; seventeen years old; a senior in high school. Well, I was, until last week. It was all so frightening. I remember the way his greasy, bony fingers, as if he's just been working on a car motor, slowly crept up my spine as I stood there on that frigid November night. The air was brisk and it picked at my skin like tiny needles. It was snowing, and the bus was always late when it snowed.
But wait, oh yes, his hands; wide and long, his fingers, boney, yet strong. They slowly crept up my back as I stoof motionless, paralyzed by gut wrenching fear. As soon as his hands slid around my throat, he applied massive amounts of pressure. He was choking me, cutting off my air supply. I tried to push him off of me but the lack of air intake soon cause me to fall into a dark unconsciousness.
When I awoke, I could see the dankness of an un-kept basement. It was dark all around, except for the faint glow of a lamp in the southwest corner of the small room. Letting my eyes adjust to the dim light, I glanced around, slowly surveying my surroundings, in case, just in case, I made it out alive.
I was naked except for my underwear, my bag had been flung across the room, its contents poured out everywhere. My clothes, except for my undergarment, lay tattered and torn on the cold, concrete floor. My blue jeans in one corner, sweater and jacket astray in the middle of the room. I could feel that I'd been violated, and where I lay there was a small puddle of blood just under me, soaking my panties with a dark burgundy.
The room smelled of rotting and decaying wood; musty, unclean and disgusting. Breathing the air, with that awful pungency almost made me gag. I must have soon fallen asleep again, ebcause the next recognition I had was of that man, that horrible, treacherous man.
Again, he was forcing his hands around my neck. And there, in the dank darkness of the basement, he raped me once again. Momentarily after his climax I felt nothing but pain, and moments later a knife across my throat. It was then that I took my last breath, with that man staring down into my eyes, a look of glee spread throughout his face.
My body wasn't found for four long days. I stood in the afterlife, being able to see into the real world, as everyone here called it. My parents were distraught. My father searched day and night, looking in all of my favourite hang out spots and he called every single one of my friends, but no one had seen me. Until one day, the police arrested the man for attempted rape and murder, but luckily, that girl had escaped his hateful hands.
The police searched his house. My parents faced such an unbearable sight. My four day old corpse, decayed and rotted. The stench was unbearable as they wrapped my body and sent it to the morgue. Never before have I seen my family so upset and emotional. I just wish that I could give them back what they're missing; me.
© Copyright 2006 mizz_carlisle (mizz_carlisle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1127354-In-The-Afterlife