*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1127660-The-Art-of-Saying-Goodbye
Rated: · Script/Play · Emotional · #1127660
Clare and Jacob say goodbye. PLease review.
The Art of Saying Good-Bye

CLAIRE PHILSON, 29

JACOB MARCUS, 32

(JACOB is sitting calmly at the table reading the paper. CLAIRE walks in out of breath and looks around, as if searching for something, She notices JACOB and quickly makes her way over to him. )

CLAIRE: Hi.

JACOB: Do you need something? (CLAIRE sits down across from JACOB and places her coffee in front of her.)

CLAIRE: Forgiveness would be nice but I realize that's a high place to start.

JACOB: Yeah. (He folds the paper and sets them in front of himself )

CLAIRE: Look we always said no regrets and I don’t have any, even after everything that’s happened.

JACOB: Yeah. (CLAIRE is getting frustrated but is visibly trying to control it)

CLAIRE: Jake?

JACOB: What?

CLAIRE: (rubs a hand over her eyes) Say something.

JACOB: This is awkward.

CLAIRE: Yeah.

JACOB: Look Claire, no regrets. It was my fault. Your in I’m out. It really is my own fault.

CLAIRE: Probably. (She tries to smile but it comes out more resembling a grimace.)

JACOB: (reaches out and takes CLAIRE’S hands) Congrats Claire.

CLAIRE: Thank you. (JACOB nods and sips her coffee) So what are you going to do now?

JACOB: My uncle works for the State Department in Egypt. My aunt and cousins live over there with him so I’ll go live with them for a while. Study some Egyptology. (He nods a little as he speaks)

CLAIRE: That sounds really exciting. (JACOB gives her a knowing look and rolls his eyes)

JACOB: So… seen any good movies lately?

CLAIRE: Yeah actually, a comedy and a drama.

JACOB: How were they?

CLAIRE: The comedy was really funny and the drama, wasn’t. (JACOB chuckles.)

JACOB: Perfect.

CLAIRE: Yeah.

(There is a pause in the conversation as they both lose themselves in their respective thoughts about recent events.)

CLAIRE: My cousins are flying in.

JACOB: The boys?

CLAIRE: Yeah.

JACOB: How are they?

CLAIRE: Great. Chris is finalizing the wedding plans, Robby is looking at colleges. I think he’s partial to Georgetown. And James is working with his dad at the advertising company.

JACOB: And Alexandra?

CLAIRE: Is getting her drivers license.

JACOB: Wow.

CLAIRE: I know, sometimes I feel like more of an aunt to her than a cousin. (CLAIRE and JACOB both chuckle. CLAIRE suddenly looks up.) You are going to be safe there right?

JACOB: Yeah, of course.

CLAIRE: I hate this.

JACOB: Me too, but don’t. (CLAIRE nods. There is another long pause.) I’ll write.

CLAIRE: Good.

(Pause)

JACOB: Claire.

CLAIRE: Yeah.

JACOB: No regrets. (He takes a deep breath and looks down at his hands.) I do forgive you though.

(Claire closes her eyes and leans back in her chair allowing a breath to escape her lips. Her face is relaxed and she looks relieved then peaceful. )

CLAIRE: Thank you.
© Copyright 2006 Artemis Marie (coddfish03 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1127660-The-Art-of-Saying-Goodbye